Laptop for Engineer student

So I'm starting my engineering classes and I would like to upgrade to a laptop, but trying to keep cost reasonable (under $800). Honestly I know I could use the schools computers but I want to have something I can work on anywhere I am. Any suggestions?

I want something relatively light to carry around campus. 4th gen i5 or even a i7. 8 gb of ram with future upgrades.

I'm currently looking at the Dell 7000 and also the 5000. The 5000 has some better specs and lower priced while the 7000 is more of a build quality.

I've heard done good things about Lenovo and Asus. Haven't looked into yet. I would love to get a macbook but at the price for a 13in I can get a serious machine. Now ill buy a mac if its the best option in the long run but im afraid being underpowered and compatibility issues with programs might be a issue even while running boot camp.

Any suggestions? Would love a real engineers opinion.

If you really can ( check local deals/ ebay etc) get a mac
Not a fanboy but they are smooth
Bootcamp/Windows really is smooth
great for python

Mavericks runs differently in that it uses all avy ram which I've found to work awesome
the multi gesture is great for multitasking

Make sure you don't get a new Macbook ( at least the soldered ones bc you cant upgrade)
I believe they still sell the upgradable 13/15s tho
I found good deals round my way for 2012/2013 macbooks pro with loaded ram/applecare etc
and would highly recommend

If you cannot...

I would steer away from dell (from personal experience/ people round my way)

i have had good experiences with Asus, (variety of price ranges) long lasting,good build
And Lenovo has a great reputation as well

No matter what you decide on, just make sure the ram is upgradable to 16gbs

You'll be running alot of cad / solidworks ram eaters type so you want to be covered

I would suggest you look at older used models, with decent specs which you can upgrade
hope this helps

I wouldn't recommend a MacBook for engineering.

Go for a Lenovo/Asus instead.

Don't get a MBP/MBA for Engineering, unless your school has a network you can connect to via remote desktop so you can use Windows programs. Most, if not, all of those programs don't work for OSX, they're only compatible with Windows. I own an MBA and i'm an EEE major by the way.

Don't get a MBP/MBA for Engineering, unless your school has a network you can connect to via remote desktop so you can use Windows programs. Most, if not, all of those programs don't work for OSX, they're only compatible with Windows. I own an MBA and i'm an EEE major by the way.

This man knows. MacBooks are not for engineering majors. You will spend over your budget just buying one with the specs you're looking for and you'll have to either spend more to get windows/parallels/other software allowing you to run windows or it will be a hassle finding it for free. I had a MBP while getting my degree in civil engineering and it was not a good move. Still had to go to the lab to do a lot of my assignments

Just got myself an Asus. Price/Quality ratio is excellent and I haven't had any problems. Threw a SSD in there and it runs hella smooth (8gigs Ram).

Macbooks in my major (Comp Sci) are a pain in the *** because mist if the software we use to turn in our code, write our code and transfer it work simpler on Windows. Students with Macs always have to take note time consuming steps to do that stuff.

Glad I went in here. Was thinking of getting a dell but not anymore. Will look at asus and lenovo.

Macbook is out of the question definitely. No reason to send so much on a laptop ill mostly run pc programs.

As to why dell is bad, any specific reasons? I've had a decent experience with my current dell, unlike HP (horrible). 

Aside from the thinkpad (read some neutral reviews) any other recommendation? From either lenovo or asus. 
I do believe we will be running citrix or something similar. But would rather have the software myself if they'll supply a student version.

Anything but HP and Dell. If you go MBP just bootcamp windows...problem solved. Im a CS major went all the way through with my MBP no issues.

Just did a quick look thru at on Asus website and it seems they mostly have ultrabooks. From what i know about ultrabooks there not much performance, kinda like the MBA. If im wrong please correct cause if i am then asus should be a great way to go for its portability which i love.

To contradict some of the stuff said earlier - There's nothing wrong with Dell and HP, but you do need to get their XPS/Elitebook lines or else you won't have good build quality that will for sure last you through school.  But this is true for any manufacturer.  A cheap ASUS is just as bad as a cheap Dell or HP

I used a Dell XPS through college and it was great.

Macs are not worth the premium if you're going to be using windows anyway.  The XPS and elitebook lines are going to be just as powerful and infinitely more upgradeable for a fraction of the price

<-- electrical engineering major

Anything but HP and Dell. If you go MBP just bootcamp windows...problem solved. Im a CS major went all the way through with my MBP no issues.
CS is a little different from Engineering and A Mac works great for it, if not better than windows.  Best would be whatever linux distro your lab uses, but yeah Macs are fine for that.

Just did a quick look thru at on Asus website and it seems they mostly have ultrabooks. From what i know about ultrabooks there not much performance, kinda like the MBA. If im wrong please correct cause if i am then asus should be a great way to go for its portability which i love.
Ultrabooks are fine - You don't need a top of the line cad station for your schoolwork in all likelihood and you'll benefit from the all-day battery life as a student going to class all day.

They do come a bit short in data storage so that's something to keep in mind if you have a lot of music or whatever.

To contradict some of the stuff said earlier - There's nothing wrong with Dell and HP, but you do need to get their XPS/Elitebook lines or else you won't have good build quality that will for sure last you through school.  But this is true for any manufacturer.  A cheap ASUS is just as bad as a cheap Dell or HP

I used a Dell XPS through college and it was great.

Macs are not worth the premium if you're going to be using windows anyway.  The XPS and elitebook lines are going to be just as powerful and infinitely more upgradeable for a fraction of the price

<-- electrical engineering major

CS is a little different from Engineering and A Mac works great for it, if not better than windows.  Best would be whatever linux distro your lab uses, but yeah Macs are fine for that.
I'm doing Mechanical engineering. Problem with those is that there way over what i can spend.

If you're solely getting this computer for mechanical engineering and looking for a cost efficient build than Mac anything is out of the question.

Your schools computer lab. Seriously.

Buy a cheap asus or something to just browse docs and do simple stuff.

But once you reach your upper level classes, a laptop is useless since most of your studying and homework will (hopefully) be done in groups.

Trust me. I'm in my 5th year of two engineering majors. Getting a MacBook Pro was useless after my freshman year. Should have spent half that and put the rest in a fund for spending money

I'm doing Mechanical engineering. Problem with those is that there way over what i can spend.

I'm a mechanical engineering and nuclear engineering student and I haven't once been required or asked by a teacher to purchase or install any programs on my laptop. Most will tell you to use the schools computers since they have packages installed that will cost a fortune. See my above post homie

Back
Top Bottom