Last year I was dying to attend university

megatron

Banned
I didn't work hard enough to get to where I wanted to be. I don't like my options now & I don't want to go to school anymore.

How my dudes with out degrees livin?
I really don't know where to go from here and not hate my life while doing it.

I have a degree and I am not living well. Still working at a grocery store. I've applied over 30 places across country and haven't even gotten a call back yet. I'd say stick it school though. Cause if I can;t get a job w/ a degree imagine without one!

I would stay in school unless you see some potential in some job where you will be able to work your way up. People got degrees all over the country who are still struggling to land a job they want, so must be harder for someone without one.

Just because you don't have a degree and don't want to go to school does not mean you can't be successful.

Like someone else mentioned, if you're not entirely against it I would consider joining the military. The different branches have their different pros and cons, so do a lot of research and talk with people who are actually enlisted before making a decision. Don't take your recruiter's word for absolute truth. They will stretch the truth and even in some cases lie to you.

If that's not an option for you, find what it is that you want to do and create an action plan. You can get just about any job in America without a degree. At the end of the day, most places don't care whether or not if you have a degree. They only care that you can do the job better than any other applicant that they receive. With that being said, find a job that is related to your field that will provide you with room to grow. It will probably be hard to find a job that you'll get any attention from without a degree, so start locally so that you can use the social aspect of interaction to your advantage. This might mean taking an unpaid internship. This might also mean taking a job that won't allow for growth so that you can get some experience within the field. Be resourceful and use your connections as a means to open doors.

The most important thing is to have a goal. The next most important thing is to have a plan. Finally, the last piece of the puzzle is improvement/moving forward. If you have a goal, a plan to achieve it, and can make noticeable strides towards the end goal, you are well on your way.

Don't allow people to tell you that you can't do something. If you have the talent and ability, then with honing your craft and making the right connections, you will be able to do whatever it is that you'd like.

I hope this helps, and good luck towards the future.

If you didn't work hard then, what makes you think you're going to work hard now?

Originally Posted by RareAirBreeds23

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

YOu can go to community college.

This.  This is what I'm doing now.  Had a 4.0 for the fall semester!

Good stuff and also what AirPhilippines said, put in the work that you didn't do before. It's easier to transfer out of a CC to a nice college than going straight from HS

I believe i'm the same HS class as you.. i'm bout to start my local CC toward my degree and work part time

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

This. Then you put in work like you wanted so you can transfer where you want.

I was in the same position as you..wanted to go to a university with all my friends outta high school but just didn't have the grades. Ended up going to community college and getting a transfer degree and now I'm at the university of washington. 

I work as a machinist and in my line of work its hard to stay in one work place. Its pretty much unstable field, so im considering taking some architect classes just to try it out.

Originally Posted by megatron

I didn't work hard enough to get to where I wanted to be. I don't like my options now & I don't want to go to school anymore.

Wait, wait, wait. Am I getting this right? 
you're fresh out of HS

drive a panamera

buy girls louie bags and macbooks

walk around with a c note plus in your pocket

and you just graduated from HS?

How do your parents feel about all of this?

I think that you should consult mommy and daddy before making any more decisions 
laugh.gif

Then again, if any of that is off target, my apologies. Blaaaaakaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, blaakaa, blakaa

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

you're fresh out of HS

drive a panamera

I think that you should consult mommy and daddy before making any more decisions 
laugh.gif

Then again, if any of that is off target, my apologies. Blaaaaakaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, blaakaa, blakaa
shhhhhh just nod and keep moving.

Originally Posted by cor23ey

What do you mean? You didn't get into the college you wanted to go to?

I wanted to go to UTaustin(instate tuition)...didn't get it. ended up choosing an out of state uni(okla). loans were cray. im not in any school now.
Yeah wrote:
Just because you don't have a degree and don't want to go to school does not mean you can't be successful.

Like someone else mentioned, if you're not entirely against it I would consider joining the military. The different branches have their different pros and cons, so do a lot of research and talk with people who are actually enlisted before making a decision. Don't take your recruiter's word for absolute truth. They will stretch the truth and even in some cases lie to you.

If that's not an option for you, find what it is that you want to do and create an action plan. You can get just about any job in America without a degree. At the end of the day, most places don't care whether or not if you have a degree. They only care that you can do the job better than any other applicant that they receive. With that being said, find a job that is related to your field that will provide you with room to grow. It will probably be hard to find a job that you'll get any attention from without a degree, so start locally so that you can use the social aspect of interaction to your advantage. This might mean taking an unpaid internship. This might also mean taking a job that won't allow for growth so that you can get some experience within the field. Be resourceful and use your connections as a means to open doors.

The most important thing is to have a goal. The next most important thing is to have a plan. Finally, the last piece of the puzzle is improvement/moving forward. If you have a goal, a plan to achieve it, and can make noticeable strides towards the end goal, you are well on your way.

Don't allow people to tell you that you can't do something. If you have the talent and ability, then with honing your craft and making the right connections, you will be able to do whatever it is that you'd like.

I hope this helps, and good luck towards the future.

Military is not my thing, never has never will. No disrespect to those out there that do, do it. It is just not for me.
As far as the 2nd part go you need wild connections to get those desirable salaries with no degree though right?
Did you set small goals or large goals for your self?
mjbetch wrote:
If you didn't work hard then, what makes you think you're going to work hard now?
I didn't work hard enough. I didn't have my parents push me or get involved with my social/school life like some of my friends to did. I always got average grades in the AP/honors whatever classes with all of them getting As all across. Being in a situation you like and are comfortable with makes it easier to give it your all. If you work a ++%! job that you don't like it's gonna be tough no? A change of scenery is something i needed and i think i still need that. well that's just me, though.

SkyyPilot wrote:
AirPhilippines wrote:

This. Then you put in work like you wanted so you can transfer where you want.

I was in the same position as you..wanted to go to a university with all my friends outta high school but just didn't have the grades. Ended up going to community college and getting a transfer degree and now I'm at the university of washington. 
How long did it take you guys to finish up CC? I never allowed it to be an option before because i wanted that change of scenery, away from home, not where i'm gonna continue to get all these luxuries that will allow me to be too laid back

MoreUptempo wrote:

you're fresh out of HS

drive a panamera

laugh.gif

Yes, except the panamera part.
They're the ones that told me to pick whatever school I wanted, they would cosign my loans.
Mid august 2011, they say no.

I don't think I would've gotten into my univ out of high school, it's a lot easier to transfer from a CC

I'd get a job and go to CC part-time, try to get financial aid grants too

Then try to stack money while passing classes, reapply and transfer to UT in a year

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

you're fresh out of HS

drive a panamera

laugh.gif

op is a troll i thought everyone knew that
laugh.gif

got a degree in 2010...not living great but not doing horribly. ill be 24 next month with a almost a year at an academic publishing company. 20's are for struggling bro. the standard of life of getting a great paying job right away are done with. just grind.

Back
Top Bottom