Law School???

obviously nothing's set in stone since I'm only a sophomore. it's just a thought, and this is what i figured.
law school could always be an option, i'm going to stick with engineering and also take the LSAT when the time comes, if it doesn't work out then Ihave a really good chance of getting an engineering job already. I just have to make the grades and if I get that job then they can pay for graduate school andI get my masters in EE.

that's my plan for now

I have to decide on which school to apply to in NYC.
I really don't want to go but with the way the current economic climate is (and for the foreseeable future) it'll be the most prudent action prob.

Anyone have any recommendations in NYC?
I'm not taking this as seriously as I should.
laugh.gif

nyu or columbia or bust. u kno where im at and where 3rd in the city so take that for what its worth. dont even bother going to any school after fordham.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

^ columbia?
laugh.gif

i mean there's not that many options.

Yeh not much. There are a few though.
Is there a major diff. between Columbia, NYC, Fordham, etc? Apart from being top 10 or top 30.

I can't visit any of the law school forums because the people there tilt me hard and most just yap about somethign or other.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JDashR

nyu or columbia or bust. u kno where im at and where 3rd in the city so take that for what its worth. dont even bother going to any school after fordham.

How's Fordham?
What's the average LSAT score for Fordham?

I took the LSAT like a year ago and haven't really got to applying.
btw I'm most likely going for the JD itself though. Not set on being a Lawyer. Although things can change obviously.

well when ur in lscool, the only thing to truly compare is job prospects. understanding it mathematically, nyu and columbia are relatively the same for jobprospects, and they are good. they are prob 2.25 times the prospects coming out of col/nyu than fordham. this is cus nyu/col are national scools where theirname can allow you to work anywhere. fordham is a strong regional scool. places well in ny but nowhere else. and with the market the way it is, it places astrain on that strong regional hiring as evryone is hiring less, and thus can afford to be picky, thus the firms that usually take fordham kids will take theleftover kids from t10 scools that dont have jobs. grim times indeed.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

What did you guys ask your references to write in your letters of recommendation?

I just graduated in June and near the end of my last semester I asked 3 professors for LORs in the future. One of them who I NEVER talked to in the entire semester said he'd do it since I got a pretty good mark in his class. The 2nd one said that since he's so "busy", I'd have to write the letter and then he'd print it on school paper and mail it out. I got a B+ in the 3rd class so the proff was like "You should ask a Professor in which you got a better mark in"...I think that he rejected me
laugh.gif

BTW, how big of a difference does being a minority make? I am a visible minority who's lived in Canada for all but 3 years of my life. Will it "help" my application? I plan on only applying to American schools. Ofcourse I'd rather get in based on my credentials but if being a minority helps, I might as well take advantage of it.

For two of my LORs I asked professors with whom I had personal relationships. They were able to create letters with specific examples of work that I had done,my contributions in class, etc. I think this was really important, since most adcoms are looking for an idea of your specific performance in the classroom,rather than generic accolades. I gave both of them my resume and copies of papers I had written and past exams, just to refresh their memory and provide themwith some concrete stuff.

It depends what kind of "minority" you are. If you're an underrepresented minority (URM) you're golden. There's a lot of debate aboutwhat qualifies as URM status. It's safe to say that if you're black, native american, mexican, puerto rican or from some other ethnic group that'stypically underrepresented in law school (i.e. not white or asian) you're good to go. It's actually pretty confusing and ambiguous. If you feel likeyou're minority status played an important role in your life/upbringing/education you can also address it in your personal statement.

For those really interested in law school, I recommend www.top-law-schools.com. Lot of information here.

Originally Posted by JDashR

well when ur in lscool, the only thing to truly compare is job prospects. understanding it mathematically, nyu and columbia are relatively the same for job prospects, and they are good. they are prob 2.25 times the prospects coming out of col/nyu than fordham. this is cus nyu/col are national scools where their name can allow you to work anywhere. fordham is a strong regional scool. places well in ny but nowhere else. and with the market the way it is, it places a strain on that strong regional hiring as evryone is hiring less, and thus can afford to be picky, thus the firms that usually take fordham kids will take the leftover kids from t10 scools that dont have jobs. grim times indeed.

Ahh I see. Prob just going to apply to all and see which dispenses with the most grants/scholarships.

Overachievers irritated me in College. I can only imagine Law School
laugh.gif

btw, Where does Cardozo figure into all of this considering it's also in NYC. I know the ranking is low but is it awful?

I wouldn't go to Columbia, but that is just me. Cornell, and Fordham are good, and laid back. (different types of law schools so I hear, as opposed tothose who try to weed out with FY.)

Originally Posted by kix4kix

I wouldn't go to Columbia, but that is just me. Cornell, and Fordham are good, and laid back. (different types of law schools so I hear, as opposed to those who try to weed out with FY.)

Yeh. I was asking more about the overall atmospheres at the schools.

What's wrong with Columbia's? Uptight?

Yeah real uptight, like real. I hate those types of students, let alone institutions.

I am not sure about NYU, but I hear good things.

This thread is deterring me from law school. Might be going the military route after college.

Make sure you are dead serious about this endeavor; I didn't expect to be where I'm at by the time I graduated. Sitting on 160k debt is not fun, nomatter how much you make at the end of the day.

I've been dead set on a career in law since my freshman year. I'm midway through my sophomore year so I plan on studying for the LSAT come this winter.I'm trying to decide whether I should take on Economics as my major as opposed to the typical poli sci... maybe take it up as a dual major. The only thingthat has me on the fences is that Economics may mess up my GPA due to the amount of math associated with it. Any tips?

Man, I wanna go to law school but I'm doubtin ill get in b/c my gpa. I need to a 4.0 this yr to graduate w/ a 3.0
smh.gif
freshman and sophmore yr ftl. I'msure I could do good on the LSAT, just don't kno if ill get in.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

So

Black + Electrical Engineering major +" LSAT score>160" = T10 Law school?

With a decent GPA you've got a pretty good shot at getting into the T14 - someone's going to bite.

Originally Posted by iBlink

I've been dead set on a career in law since my freshman year. I'm midway through my sophomore year so I plan on studying for the LSAT come this winter. I'm trying to decide whether I should take on Economics as my major as opposed to the typical poli sci... maybe take it up as a dual major. The only thing that has me on the fences is that Economics may mess up my GPA due to the amount of math associated with it. Any tips?
Have you taken any Econ classes yet, just to try them out? If you think you can maintain a good GPA with Econ as opposed to Poli Sci it'd giveyou a bit of an edge IMO.

I'm not an admissions officer by any means, but I've done a good bit of research on the admin process, and having just gone through the admissionscycle myself, your major isn't a deciding factor when it comes to getting into law school. All things being equal,if you have two candidates, one with a 3.8 Poli Sci GPA and the other with a 3.0 Engineering GPA, the 3.8 will still look better to the vast majority ofadcoms. The importance of your major comes into play when the numbers are close, a 3.6 Econ GPA versus a 3.7 Poli Sci GPA, for instance.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

How many years does it usually take to pay off one's law school debt?
Depends on a lot of factors - if you go public school (and are in state) then your debt is lower. Here in CA, public schools are typically harderto get into as well...but if you do, you're in better shape to get a better paying job.

My managing partner, practicing for 20+ years, just recently paid off his debt.

Consider it a mortgage. I expect to live with mine for a while.

I have really been thinking of going to law school after i graduate in a couple years. the truth is i dont really care about working for a big firm or working40+ hours a week, i would prefer to work in the public sector. I just transferred to UC in california and was working towards becoming a social worker, so ihavent really taken any classes that have to do with politics and law is that a problem. I still have a couple years to decide if i end up in law school orgraduate school for social work, should i take a few classes that have to do with law/politics or would it be ok if i just continue with my regular classes andsimply study for the lsat and work on keeping my grades up.

Back
Top Bottom