Learning to Skateboard...Advice? Best Equipment? Brands?

longboarding
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dman22193

Get a size 8 board. anything smaller is uncomfortable. and bones red bearings

I hate street skating with a 8 board. It all about preference(shoe size too i suppose) in this case. Same with bearings but bones does make quality bearings.

I hate street skating with a 8 board. It all about preference(shoe size too i suppose) in this case. Same with bearings but bones does make quality bearings.

a good thing to keep in mind is being stable. when i started skating, i did it on my own, learned basics on youtube n such bc no one i knew skated. when i started going to skateparks, i got addicted. i went almost every day. i was about a year in a half into skateboarding, good amount of flip tricks and grinds down and i was having fun. i started to do stairs and flip tricks n shuvs down gaps, slowly improving.one day i had a nasty landing on a kickflip down a gap, foot got caught between the board and the wheels(between the trucks). my ankle never felt the same after that skating. everytime i do a flip trick, the pain will slowly creep back. its just not the same anymore.

all im sayin is take skateboarding step by step, being a pro will not come overnight. it takes alot of commitment, and obviously alot of time.

a good thing to keep in mind is being stable. when i started skating, i did it on my own, learned basics on youtube n such bc no one i knew skated. when i started going to skateparks, i got addicted. i went almost every day. i was about a year in a half into skateboarding, good amount of flip tricks and grinds down and i was having fun. i started to do stairs and flip tricks n shuvs down gaps, slowly improving.one day i had a nasty landing on a kickflip down a gap, foot got caught between the board and the wheels(between the trucks). my ankle never felt the same after that skating. everytime i do a flip trick, the pain will slowly creep back. its just not the same anymore.

all im sayin is take skateboarding step by step, being a pro will not come overnight. it takes alot of commitment, and obviously alot of time.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Rode a 7.5 for the longest time (shoe size
glasses.gif
and only recently started moving to 7.75 then 7.875 and got a 8 waiting to be set up.  Current trend seems to be moving back to wider boards but I knew of super tall guys with big feet that rode 7.5s and short guys with small feet that rode 8s and they both killed it about the same on all kinds of terrain.

Never really understood why some people rode bearings other than Bones, especially after Reds came out.  Rode a bunch of other cheap bearings (Black Panthers, Reflex, Halos, Speed Demons, etc) years ago just to see if they were any good and they were pretty disappointing.  I think I broke like 3-4 Speed Demons in a week skating mostly ledges and flatground.  Anyone who's ever broken a bearing should be able to attest to how much getting the outer ring out of a wheel sucks! It's probably a distant second to replacing a broken kingpin.

Currently riding the same set of Bones Swiss 6 that I had for years with no problems.  Got a set of Rockin' Rons on order since all the hype the pool/skateparks guys got me wondering.

Rode a 7.5 for the longest time (shoe size
glasses.gif
and only recently started moving to 7.75 then 7.875 and got a 8 waiting to be set up.  Current trend seems to be moving back to wider boards but I knew of super tall guys with big feet that rode 7.5s and short guys with small feet that rode 8s and they both killed it about the same on all kinds of terrain.

Never really understood why some people rode bearings other than Bones, especially after Reds came out.  Rode a bunch of other cheap bearings (Black Panthers, Reflex, Halos, Speed Demons, etc) years ago just to see if they were any good and they were pretty disappointing.  I think I broke like 3-4 Speed Demons in a week skating mostly ledges and flatground.  Anyone who's ever broken a bearing should be able to attest to how much getting the outer ring out of a wheel sucks! It's probably a distant second to replacing a broken kingpin.

Currently riding the same set of Bones Swiss 6 that I had for years with no problems.  Got a set of Rockin' Rons on order since all the hype the pool/skateparks guys got me wondering.

Originally Posted by Foam shox

Yeah I have to try and find myself a crew, that's #1 on the to do list.

and what about wheel size? I've seen 50 all the way up to 64, besides the obvious size difference how would one know what to pick? and af1 1982 I appreciate the detailed information you've been posting

you don't just explain the what, but the why also. Dunno about everyone else, but the specific info certainly helps

Dont force it, if it happens it happens.  Like I said before just get you a cheap setup and learn the basics. Hell, in a couple of months from starting you may decide you don't even like it.

Right I agree with you on the cheap set up as you're right, I might not like skating, and in that case, I'd rather burn $23 or so on a cheap deck, oppose to $60 or more ... as I've seen complete decks can cost well over $100
finding a crew might be hard, but I'd like it from the sense of having a shared interest with people 

different example, but same idea (of that group togetherness) is I've been a fan of combat sports for 5-6 years.  In the past two years I've networked with people from school to watch the fights with.  And while a spectator sport isn't the same thing as an active sport.  I can honestly say having that group of peeps to watch fights with helped my interest grow .. and turned it into a social thing, as I look forward to going out with friends to watch fights.  Don't mean to flame or sh*t talk but

bottom line it's just nice having a shared interest with a person or person(s).  You're right, the skate crew isn't a necessity but it would be nice to be able to skate/hang out with a familiar face or two. 

**not that concerned about brands, but  you know a name gets thrown out (like Element or Spitfire) and some people are praising it while others knock it .... see previous pages, but I think you get me.  At the end of the day though I'm a firm believer in subjectivity as even if a brand is seen as "Great" doubtful it works for every single user. 

Originally Posted by Foam shox

Yeah I have to try and find myself a crew, that's #1 on the to do list.

and what about wheel size? I've seen 50 all the way up to 64, besides the obvious size difference how would one know what to pick? and af1 1982 I appreciate the detailed information you've been posting

you don't just explain the what, but the why also. Dunno about everyone else, but the specific info certainly helps

Dont force it, if it happens it happens.  Like I said before just get you a cheap setup and learn the basics. Hell, in a couple of months from starting you may decide you don't even like it.

Right I agree with you on the cheap set up as you're right, I might not like skating, and in that case, I'd rather burn $23 or so on a cheap deck, oppose to $60 or more ... as I've seen complete decks can cost well over $100
finding a crew might be hard, but I'd like it from the sense of having a shared interest with people 

different example, but same idea (of that group togetherness) is I've been a fan of combat sports for 5-6 years.  In the past two years I've networked with people from school to watch the fights with.  And while a spectator sport isn't the same thing as an active sport.  I can honestly say having that group of peeps to watch fights with helped my interest grow .. and turned it into a social thing, as I look forward to going out with friends to watch fights.  Don't mean to flame or sh*t talk but

bottom line it's just nice having a shared interest with a person or person(s).  You're right, the skate crew isn't a necessity but it would be nice to be able to skate/hang out with a familiar face or two. 

**not that concerned about brands, but  you know a name gets thrown out (like Element or Spitfire) and some people are praising it while others knock it .... see previous pages, but I think you get me.  At the end of the day though I'm a firm believer in subjectivity as even if a brand is seen as "Great" doubtful it works for every single user. 

tried skateboarding awhile back, but never fully got into it. i'm looking to get rid of my board if anyone is interested. it's in great shape rarely used. zoo york deck, girl trucks, spitfire wheels. shoot me a PM

tried skateboarding awhile back, but never fully got into it. i'm looking to get rid of my board if anyone is interested. it's in great shape rarely used. zoo york deck, girl trucks, spitfire wheels. shoot me a PM

How old are you OP? If your in high school or even college, finding a "crew" (jeez that term is corny) should be cake. Just skate and they'll come to you. They'll see the way you dress, your beat up shoes, cuts and bruises and they'll flock to you to start a convo. I made so many new friends because of skating. Enjoy

How old are you OP? If your in high school or even college, finding a "crew" (jeez that term is corny) should be cake. Just skate and they'll come to you. They'll see the way you dress, your beat up shoes, cuts and bruises and they'll flock to you to start a convo. I made so many new friends because of skating. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom