Legacy of Garnett-Pierce-Allen-Rondo; what happens to them now?

Originally Posted by Essential1

If they were smart they would try to keep the Big 4.. Plus Bradley And maybe Bass if plans don't work out.

If you can get KG & Allen to take huge paycuts down to $3mil for a year or two.

Rondon, Bradley, Allen, Pierce, KG at that rate is $35.42mil.

That team still has close to $23-25mil in cap space. Depending on the cap adjustment.

You can then make 1 max contract offers and almost max (90%) on RFA like Eric Gordon & Roy Hibbert. Restrictions on both players because they have played less than 6 years years so max for them is $12.9mil. Both teams are likely to match, but you are putting the pressure on small market teams to show their wallet.

Who knows if the teams decide they can't match. But say in the unlikely circumstance that they both don't...Rondo, Bradley, Gordon, Allen, Pierce, KG, Hibbert is a monster.

They would still have their mini-MLE. 3 draft picks in the draft.. Steimsma is a RFA that wouldn't get much more than he makes now. And could go after a minimum contract or 2.

Very unlikely... But that is something the Celtics should consider. If you can get KG & Allen to play a year or 2 more at a huge discount, why not.. You still have the ability to go after very good players and make your team extremely deep and much younger..

It all hinges on KG and Allen taking a paycut down to $3mil or so. If they ask for like $7mil each then there is no point on trying to keep them..
What about Jeff Green? He was the X-factor imo

i hate how everybody wants to break them up. people talk like they didnt do anything the last 4-5 years. they have been very competitive. other teams will die to have their sucess.

I think they should trade Allen for another scorer and they should be back in the mix of things next year.

This Boston team is still super competitive and when healthy next season can make another run.  I would bring them all back for another go around. 

If Ray leaves...don't go to the Knicks or a bottom of the barrel team.  He could definitely help out Miami or San Antonio.  He needs to take the Summer off and get lots of rest on those ankles.  

KG has another 3 years easy in his tank.  

Originally Posted by finnns2003

If they were smart they would try to keep the Big 4.. Plus Bradley And maybe Bass if plans don't work out.

That team still has close to $23-25mil in cap space. Depending on the cap adjustment.

You can then make 1 max contract offers and almost max (90%) on RFA like Eric Gordon & Roy Hibbert. Restrictions on both players because they have played less than 6 years years so max for them is $12.9mil. Both teams are likely to match, but you are putting the pressure on small market teams to show their wallet.

Who knows if the teams decide they can't match. But say in the unlikely circumstance that they both don't...Rondo, Bradley, Gordon, Allen, Pierce, KG, Hibbert is a monster.

They would still have their mini-MLE. 3 draft picks in the draft.. Steimsma is a RFA that wouldn't get much more than he makes now. And could go after a minimum contract or 2.

Very unlikely... But that is something the Celtics should consider. If you can get KG & Allen to play a year or 2 more at a huge discount, why not.. You still have the ability to go after very good players and make your team extremely deep and much younger..

It all hinges on KG and Allen taking a paycut down to $3mil or so. If they ask for like $7mil each then there is no point on trying to keep them..

All depends on what you can get him for.. Mini-MLE ($3.5mil) would be the absolute most you should offer.

If they get lucky and both teams don't match a max or close to max deal (which you never know with small market teams):
Guards: Rondo, Gordon, Allen, Bradley
Forward: Pierce, Garnett, Green
Center: Hibbert,  Stiemsma

PG, SG  is filled to the max.    Forward could use 1 more player. As could Center.  Last 4 spots would all be fillers.

Could try to move up the draft by trading both first round picks to select a forward.  And for Center the best cheap Center out there to backup is Marcus Camby. You'll think I'm crazy, but last year he was the best rebounder in the NBA. He had 9.0 RPG in 22.9 minutes..  In RPG/48mins he was #1 in the league. And had the highest rebound percentage in the league. As we all know rebounding killed the Celtics.

Starters of  Rondo, Gordon, Pierce, Garnett, Hibbert
Backup of  Bradley, Allen, Green, (Draft Pick), Camby

I hate the Celtics, but anyone who says this team is doomed needs to just look at their cap space.

If you made me choose Gordon or Hibbert.. I go after Gordon first..  Then Hibbert because Gordon is a better scorer. Also if you don't get Hibbert, you can go after Brook Lopez.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

All depends on what you can get him for.. Mini-MLE ($3.5mil) would be the absolute most you should offer.

If they get lucky and both teams don't match a max or close to max deal (which you never know with small market teams):
Guards: Rondo, Gordon, Allen, Bradley
Forward: Pierce, Garnett, Green
Center: Hibbert,  Stiemsma

PG, SG  is filled to the max.    Forward could use 1 more player. As could Center.  Last 4 spots would all be fillers.

Could try to move up the draft by trading both first round picks to select a forward.  And for Center the best cheap Center out there to backup is Marcus Camby. You'll think I'm crazy, but last year he was the best rebounder in the NBA. He had 9.0 RPG in 22.9 minutes..  In RPG/48mins he was #1 in the league. And had the highest rebound percentage in the league. As we all know rebounding killed the Celtics.

Starters of  Rondo, Gordon, Pierce, Garnett, Hibbert
Backup of  Bradley, Allen, Green, (Draft Pick), Camby

I hate the Celtics, but anyone who says this team is doomed needs to just look at their cap space.

If you made me choose Gordon or Hibbert.. I go after Gordon first..  Then Hibbert because Gordon is a better scorer. Also if you don't get Hibbert, you can go after Brook Lopez.

Great post
pimp.gif

Makes me feel better about this team moving forward
laugh.gif

1st post said it all, this group of guys had a lot of hard luck. The injures to Garnett, Perkins, and Jeff Green all hurt a lot come playoff time.. Then game 7 @ LA. The best shooter of all time can't throw it in the ocean and we lose by 4 points

Their legacy should be remembered for some great wins....game 4 of the 08 finals was still the best comeback I've ever seen for the team I was cheering for.

In terms of keeping them together....you might as well bring back Garnett for a bargain if he wants to play. He is better then the majority of people available. Ray seems like he is going to walk, which is understandable. We still have Rondo, Bass, and Pierece. Assuming Jeff Green comes back 100% it is still a very capable core that can compete, but really I have to question to what degree.

We can probably get to the second round, but another year on the legs, it's not reasonable to think we will be able to beat Miami or Chicago in a 7 game series. And when building a team now, Ainge should simply be looking at building a team that can take on Miami and Chicago, because those are the only two teams that matter.

We should have have a decent amount of cap space and obviously Rondo who could be dangled as trade bait after that post season. I wouldn't mind dishing off Rondo if we get someone to throw us everyone they've got, and signing Deron Williams

Guys we could give an offer sheet to or look to sign

Nick Young
Roy Hibbert
Mike Beasley
Nicholas Batum
Gerald Wallace

I have a hard time envisioning the Celtics getting a difference maker, let alone two in free agency.

Originally Posted by PMatic

I have a hard time envisioning the Celtics getting a difference maker, let alone two in free agency.

Yeah the market isn't offering too much, but Ainge has all the freedom in world.

You think it's a mistake to trade Rondo?

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Originally Posted by PMatic

Yeah the market isn't offering too much, but Ainge has all the freedom in world.

You think it's a mistake to trade Rondo?
Unless the Celtics are getting Chris Paul, it wouldn't make sense to trade him away. Rondo's play and market value is just too good.

The first thing they should do is fire Danny Ainge or let him go to Portland. Other than getting KG and Ray, he's been a horrible GM. I remember when Boston fans were asking for his head. Perkins trade, Marshon Brooks trade, trading Employee #8 for nothing, signing Sheed, Scalbrine, Blount, and Lafrentz to long deals, Trading for 'Bas for #7 pick overall. Trying to trade Rondo for CP3, when Paul didn't want to come here. Oh and Vin Baker.

If he managed the team better, they probably would have 2/3 rings, and a much better future outlook today.

Keep KG let Ray leave, we have Avery Bradley to step up and become our new SG

We need a big guy, Hibbert is definately the most ideal candidate. If we get Jeff Greene back and he's health and can contribute as a 6th man we definately are not in bad shape. Could use an athletic 2/3 who can run the floor with Rondo though.

No chance we trade Rondo, he is the best game manager and ball distributor in the NBA.

I believe we also have 2 1st round picks..Terrence Jones?

signing harden will most likely be the FA... Serge Ibaka also.. that will be hard to resign him too.

We need a 3pt shooting guard.... not just ray allen.

rondo needs to hit that jumper consistently.

hibbert or brool lopez or chris kaman.. any will be a good addition.

sign KG because he is still a go to player.

Pierce will be pierce.

Rndo will be rondo.

bradley will improve

Rondo / Aaron Brooks?
Gordon.?. young?.. smith? / Allen
Pierce/ Green... pietrus
KG / bass ???????
hibbert? kaman?? lopez??

we just need to stay healthy.. and sign one of those big men and guards..

Allen is a great player, but I think he's overrated, if that makes sense.

He's disappeared in some crucial games and, while he has some gas left in the tank, I wouldn't overpay to keep him.

Gordon is your best option, because he won't demand as much money as Harden. And you guys need an SG anyway who can provide offense and share the minutes with Bradley.

Gordon is a capable All Star in this league... he can be the go to with the ball instead of just pierce. Also gordon's personality would fit right in.

Back
Top Bottom