let this thread die (NYK)

Originally Posted by you go boy

knicks need a point guard its obvious. and they didn't pick one tonight. it could have been any pg i would be happy
Glen is obviously focused on free agency.

As I expected he couldn't find anyone that wants the bum TD or Fields and I guess he couldn't or didn't want to buy a 2nd round pick.

Originally Posted by haddix

Serious question : what is the point of taking someone who won't play for a year or 2? I don't get it. Am I missing something?
So when they do come, they have to play for your team or they'll never play in the NBA. It's no different than picking a player and then sending him to the NBDL. Some guys can't leave yet and/or need development but there's the off chance Glen knows something we don't about the player from his agent or directly.

I'm not gonna be mad until I see dude play whether that's with us first or international play has yet to be seen.

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

God damn, we must have a bunch of fortune tellers here, 'cause y'all see to know that our pick will be garbage.

If he was coming next year id be fine with it, i feel like these euro guys never come here when we take em...weis, milos vuljanic, lampe, slavko vranes....got a horrendous track record with euros

God damn, we must have a bunch of fortune tellers here, 'cause y'all see to know that our pick will be garbage.

we will only know year or two or maybe never from now

Originally Posted by PauliePeppas

If he was coming next year id be fine with it, i feel like these euro guys never come here when we take em
I get that, but I mean, we're picking 48th. This isn't like Weis when we picked him in the lottery. Why not take a chance on a guy overseas. Bigger risk/bigger reward.

nobody is saying hes garbage. we just dont wanna wait two years for help. he could easily not come over.

What were you guys expecting w/ the 48th pick though? Might as well go for either high risk/reward or entertainment value.

Be honest with yourselves, this pick was really inconsequential. Whoever they drafted won't even have the talent level of Toney Douglas. Most of these guys drafted here don't even stay on NBA teams for a yr. A bigger move tonight than the 48th pick would've been signing john stockton to teach TD to play basketball. You guys really think Scott Machado is more talented than Toney at anything? And i despise TD. No reason to be upset at the Knicks' 48th pick in the draft. They took some guy who hopefully has some potential and will get development and coaching that we don't have to pay for or allocate any resources towards. Don't care for the pick, but I really didn't think anything was gonna happen tonight anyway. Best case at 48 we would've gotten some kinda freak athlete that developed into a useful role player a yr or two from now like Ariza.

The knicks, outside of Lin, Shumpert, and Fields if he comes back, are not a young team. They're in win now mode. The 48th pick in the draft wasn't gonna help them this year, next year, or probably the year after. Just gotta hope they don't F up free agency.

WHAT IT MEANS: Likely favorites Scott Machado (Iona), Darius Johnson-Odom (Marquette) and Hollis Thompson (Georgetown) were available to the Knicks with the 48th pick, but they probably felt none of them could make an impact next season. Instead, they went with forward Kostas Papanikolaou (Greece), who probably won't be available until the 2013-14 season. That's because his contract with Olympiakos has two years left on it. It does, however, have a reasonable buyout option next summer.

BIGGEST POSITIVES: The lefty Papanikolaou (6-8, 225) is a little bit of a cross between foreign NBA players Manu Ginobili and Carlos Delfino. He has some craftiness like Ginobili -- he has crossover moves, can split defenders and knows how to finish -- but he's not as good of a passer. Papanikolaou is a pure scorer, who also demonstrates defensive intensity like Delfino. In fact, he'll hustle back and make blocks in transition. Like both of the current NBA players, Papanikolaou's best asset is arguably his 3-point shot.

BIGGEST NEGATIVE: That he llikely won't play next season. The Knicks were coming off back-to-back wins in the second round (Landry Fields in 2010 and Josh Harrellson in '11). With what was available, there was a sense they could've done it again.

WHAT'S NEXT: What this draft pick represents is that the Knicks are really focused on re-signing their own free agents (Jeremy Lin, Steve Novak, J.R. Smith and Fields) and adding about two new veteran players in the offseason. The Knicks' biggest prize will be winning the early Bird Rights ruling and then using their mid-level exception of $3 million to sign one of the top four point guards available come July 1: Steve Nash, Andre Miller, Jason Kidd or Raymond Felton.

Relax everybody.

Originally Posted by kevi

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by kevi

draft analysts says he can't shoot
bloggers at ESPNNewYork say his long range shot is his best asset.
wth is wrong with these people. Nobody knows anything for a fact
I don't expect them dudes to know a damn thing about international players. He probably had one of his interns whip together a quick summary of dude and place it on his desk.

Marc Berman
#Knicks GM Glen Grunwald on Greek 6-8 SF Kostas Papanikolaou. "He plays hard. He's a good athlete. He need to improve his shooting.
We've watched him over the course of the year and he's improved dramatically over this year. We see him as a guy whose going to work and improve.'' Grunwald said the earliest he'll play for club is 2013-14 but that's not lock. Has a $1M buyout next year for Olympiakos. Didn't see any player left who would make this season's rotation.

I liked this pick, I said last night I like this guy and once guys like Lamb, Mike Scott, and Kim English all went down right after each other he was my favorite pick for the Knicks.

When youre picking at #48 all you can ask for is the guy who gives you the best chance at contributing in a key way down the road. Do yall really think that a 6'3 SG like Johnson-Odom or Scott Machado from Iona have much of a significant chance to succeed in any kind of major role for us? This Greek guy has been playing against much better competition than anybody in the NCAA (especially Macchado) and has been one of the best players in Europe. He is tall, he is competitive, he can shoot, he can play defense. Out of all the players available IMO he was by far the best option in terms of a player who could play a nice role on this team moving forward.

This is a guy who can be a factor in the NBA down the road, he is a true NBA talent. I think if we let him develop and bring him over here he could play a poor mans Toni Kukoc type role for us off the bench which is more than anybody else available could have offered us at that point, its not like he was a 1st rounder. So what if he has to wait a season or 2 to get over here? I would rather giving him another season or 2 to play in Europe and than have a nice role on this team for a number of years than to draft some guy like Johnson-Odom or Macchado who will be readily available for us, but wont be able to do much more on this team next season than this Greek dude will while he is still in Greece, and also not be able to contribute like the Greek potentially can for us down the road so I applaud the pick. He is highly regarded by many scouts as easily a top 5 Euro player in this draft, maybe top 3, and he for certain would have been drafted by another team shortly after us if we had passed on him rather than Macchado who went undrafted and Johnson-Odom who was selected at 58 mostly because he played with Jae Crowder at Marquette.

On a related note I am still VERY interested in bringing in Macchado for Summer League as I do think he has a good shot of making this team. It just depends if he can get over us passing on him, being that he probably thought we would take him given that he worked out for us, our lousy PG situation, and the fact that he is from Queens. However I do think that it would be in his best interest for him to look for us as a summer League option because our PG situation really does offer him a good opportunity to make the team and potentially even get some PT, also drafting a guy who wont be on the roster next season leaves open a roster spot for an undrafted rookie like Macchado, and if there is any place that an undrafted underdog can make a name for himself it would be in NY.

I still think that we should have tried to pull what the 76ers did when they saw Moultrie drop all the way to 27 for Marquis Teague. I think floating Landry Field's or Douglass' name around to teams picking in that late 2nd round who werent really high on any available players would have been enough to get us Teague at that point in the draft, and I would MUCH rather have him on this team than either of those players, I know that his ceiling is high enough to be a good starting PG in the NBA.

Just saw a few vids on him . I can def see the Manu comparison hes def crafty while attacking the rim and whatnot . I also like his defensive intensity I also saw him move around without the ball which is also nice. Ive yet to see him shoot though so well see , but so far not bad.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

When youre picking at #48 all you can ask for is the guy who gives you the best chance at contributing in a key way down the road. Do yall really think that a 6'3 SG like Johnson-Odom or Scott Machado from Iona have much of a significant chance to succeed in any kind of major role for us?
I can't be that unfair to these other guys cuz you could say the same things about Iman Shumpert and Landry Fields and their first years with us they had a huge impact.
I still think that we should have tried to pull what the 76ers did when they saw Moultrie drop all the way to 27 for Marquis Teague. I think floating Landry Field's or Douglass' name around to teams picking in that late 2nd round who werent really high on any available players would have been enough to get us Teague at that point in the draft, and I would MUCH rather have him on this team than either of those players, I know that his ceiling is high enough to be a good starting PG in the NBA.
I have no doubt that we were shopping TD. Nobody wants that bum.

EDIT

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ onewearz getting his peeping tom on again and coming through with the vid. Night vision camera next time man

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

THE GR8 wrote:
When youre picking at #48 all you can ask for is the guy who gives you the best chance at contributing in a key way down the road. Do yall really think that a 6'3 SG like Johnson-Odom or Scott Machado from Iona have much of a significant chance to succeed in any kind of major role for us?
I can't be that unfair to these other guys cuz you could say the same things about Iman Shumpert and Landry Fields and their first years with us they had a huge impact.
I have no doubt that we were shopping TD. Nobody wants that bum.

EDIT

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ onewearz getting his peeping tom on again and coming through with the vid. Night vision camera next time man

wait, what? 
laugh.gif
eek.gif
 I need to see this!

Back
Top Bottom