Lets get a tips, tricks & steps 2 help Produce STICKY PL

my bad dude i finally got back to you....

but for anyone else trying to use reason as a sound module with the mpc this might be helpful:

(From an mpc forum btw:smile:
1.) First, open reason. Go to Preferences and select advance midi connections. Select Bus 1 and set it to interact w/ your midi interface. Close reason for now. From here will be setting up cables and settings within the MPC.

2.)Connect 1 midi cable from your first midi interface out to MPC midi in 2. Connect a 2nd cable from your first midi interface in to MPC out 2. A basic handshake method. We're using the MPC's 2nd I/O's b/c the first midi in will be occupied by a keyboard controller.
3.) Now that your MPC is connected to your computer you need to connect your controller. Connect 1 midi cable from the midi output of your controller to the 1st midi in on your MPC. *If your using a usb bus powered device do not set this as the keyboard controller in reason just yet and I'll explain why later.
4.) Make sure Reason is closed and your controller, if bus powered, is turned off. Now turn on Controller, MPC, and then Reason in this order.
5.) Create an empty rack within Reason and create a mixer. Save this as a Template, so that in the future it saves time. More on that further down. Lets get this thing working first, then I'll get in to some tips and tricks.
6.) Create an NNXT. You'll Notice in Reason's sequencer section a new track has been created as well. Delete that track and keep the device.
7.) At the top of Reason you'll see the MIDI IN device with 16 drop boxes. Select the NNXT that we had just created in the drop box.
Load a factory preset or any sound and hit few keys. Nothing right? We need to set up the mpc to send midi to Reason.
8.) Create a new sequence within the MPC. Set your tempo and change your midi channel to midi channel 1B. We set up the MPC to send midi out of the second set of outs. Remember? Make sure you also change to a midi track from a drum program. How bout now?
SHOULD BE DEFINATELY WORKING W/ a 2000xl. IF NOT check with other forums for your particular machine to send/receive midi.
9.) Play a few notes. Record a sequence. Having latency issues? Change your audio driver to an ASIO if available. Dont have ASIO? google ASIO4ALL. Get it.
10.) Creating additional devices with in Reason is just repeating the few previous steps. Except make sure you select the next availble drop box in the MIDI IN device for Reason and Select the corresponding midi channel with in your MPC.
Channels 1B-16B will send midi to Reason's MIDI IN device. By selecting an empty channel in your MPC, say channel 16b, although theres nothing assigned to it, you'll see that its receiving the midi by lighting up red.
So far we've connected your controller, Midi interface and MPC to Reason for sequencing within the MPC. What if you wanted to record your sequences from the MPC to Reason? So you could track out in Reason.
MIDI SYNC
1.) Open Reason's preferences and go to Advanced MIDI. Select your Midi Device to be the MIDI CLOCK.
2.) Go to your MPC. Open Midi sync and select MIDI Clock and set the output to B.
3.) Now looking at Reason's transport, you should see a green light next to the CPU meter, right below the ENABLE Button. If you see this, Reason has been properly connected and synced with your MPC. Make sure the ENABLE button is selected and the tempo with in Reason will reset to 0. Press play on the MPC and Reason will follow.
TRACKING/RECORDING SEQUENCES TO REASON
Any sequences you have created with in the MPC with Reason's devices will trigger those devices to which those channels are set to send/receive. So when recording individual instruments for tracking purposes, make sure you mute/solo instruments and select that device in Reason's sequencer to record.
1.) Set your loop points in Reason to match your MPC. I.E. Bars 1-5 or 1-9. As well as, the tempo, in both Reason and your MPC.
2.) Turn OFF the Looping function in your MPC and Reason.
3.) Solo the channel of the device you would like to record in the MPC.
4.) Set/create a sequence track in Reason for the device you are recording and enable the recording button.
5.) Press PLAY on MPC. Reason will record your sequence and stop once the # of bars in your sequence play out.
6.) Press Stop. Disable MIDI SYNC with in Reason by deselecting the ENABLE button next to the CPU meter.
7.) Press PLAY on Reason's Transport or space bar on your keyboard and your recorded track will play.
8.) Repeat for addtional instruments. Make sure you create a new SEQUENCER TRACK for each individual device you are recording in Reason and dont forget to arm/disarm recording for additional tracks.
When creating and tracking out a whole song in reason. Group your midi events and move them outside of your loop points. Set them to the next bar so that you can continue recording different sequences until your song is finished.
TIPS/TRICKS
- For Reason -
- Create a template with empty devices already connected to MIDI channels so that in the future you can have Reason autoload that template to save you time of connecting and configuring within Reason.
- I always set my redrum on channel 16 within Reason. It makes it a lot easier to get to when programming in the MPC. I just spin the dial to 16B and Im there.
- I use Recycle a lot to chop up samples, so when I load them in the DR.REX I have more editing capabilities. By setting the polyphony to 1 and setting the release time high, you can emulate the PREVIOUS PAD MUTE/OFF function with no limitation to your pad count.
- Flip the remix around and split your stereo channels to seperate inputs on the remix. I.E. NNXT outs will go to individual ins on the remix. Make sure you set your pans Hard L/R to get a wider stereo effect with samples/sounds.
- Tracking out drums individually is time consuming and redundant if using the Reason/MPC method. Mute all of your instrument tracks, record your drums to one channel in Reason and copy and paste until everything is seperate.
- Using external sound modules or VST's? Record your Drum/Instrument sounds in a audio editor or DAW, load them in Reason and then import to REDRUM/NNXT. This way you can do everything right in Reason and not have to rewire or track in a more CPU consuming DAW.
- With MPC -
- Assigning the AUTOCHROMATIC feature will allow you to use your MPC to trigger REDRUM sounds in BANK A. Or if REDRUM's not enough channels create a kit in a NNXT.
- Dont use Quanitize? Turn off quanitize in Reason to properly record your personal grooves.
- Create an empty sequence and save that sequence to autoload on the MPC. This way your ready to go once you turn it on.
- Like the MPC sound better? Resample everything from Reason into the MPC for those A/D converters.
- Recording individual drums sounds on different midi channels keeps everything a liitle more organized and easier to edit within the MPC. Just when it comes time to track mute your instruments and let the drums bang away.

Hope that helps. PM if i missed something or got something wrong.

u CAN but it would take FOREVER to lay down melodies... ud b better off wit FL if u have no controller...

Originally Posted by TW3EK

ummm... yea... thats why they come wit usb...

I was thinking so. I don't know too much about midi but I figured you guys would. My keyboard doesn't come with a usb, it just has midiin/out/thru.

If I buy a MIDI to USB cable, then it'll work just like a midi to midi? And I can control vst's like that?

Ok, guys i need some new vsts, soundbanks, whatever. i'm just fed up with my crappy sounds.
mostly, i'm lookin for realistic sounding instruments. some good strings, brass, etc.
any recommendations? money is an issue. i have fl studio, but no reason (torrents being a !@#$).

i can get u reason AND 30 gigs worth of refills including the fantom, motif and triton keyboards for the low low price of $65 shipped...

^^Paypal yet??
ohwell.gif

and Right on Stack, I appreciate the help...

i HAVE paypal... i just need to link an account to it... i guess i could take paypal and just buy some *!!+ i need online... let me know whats up... i got u...

Guys, I need help with the Dr. REX Loop player in Reason 3.0, I'm new at this.

The sample I chose, is at a LOOP Tempo of 92.00 BPM...it doesn't match my track! The help thing told me to 'Preview' the sample so that it playsover and over again, and then playback the sequencer.

It still won't match up! And it seems that the Dr. REX loop player has no way you can speed up a sample...

Also, I want sample to play on a 'C' note, and then down to a 'G'...looks like I can only do 'C'; one at a time.
Geez, do I have to have TWO Dr. REX Loop players?

thanks. this %*%% is very discouraging.

did u make the loop urself? if u did that tempo prolly aint the right one... and yea ud have to open 2... i dunno if u can automate transposing as ive nevertried...

^^Yeah, I just did it. You can automate transposing, while you're recording just click the key on keyboard with the mouse. My problem is getting the loopto match my track. No, it's one of the Reason samples.

hmm...dunno i havent used a stock rex in awhile... @%+@ even when i did i never tried to do what ur doing so my guess is that u might have to automate thetempo as well...

Originally Posted by TW3EK

i HAVE paypal... i just need to link an account to it... i guess i could take paypal and just buy some *!!+ i need online... let me know whats up... i got u...

Sooo... Is PayPal possible, or no? I still haven't sent the money order yet. Was gonna do it tomorrow.

PayPal would be nice...
smile.gif

yea... u can paypal it... (ill pm u the address) ill just stop being lazy and add my mom's account tommorow...

right now im looking for some better sound effects, GOOD ones for hip hop. just commonly used stuff, backwards hats, sirens, bells, +#%@ like that.

anyone have any suggestions? most of the stuff i've found is geared toward techno.

big juice what do you use? i have samplemoog , sampletank and sonik synth ...they all come with fx and fill-ins...all work with FL if anyone needs

Back
Top Bottom