Lets talk about LUPE

Let's be real, Food and Liquor was fantastic, #2 sucked though. Also I really didn't like Lasers, such a sugary album. He's got a dope catalog otherwise though

So when that pond thaws and it's no longer Gretzky
That's when we jet-ski
I got a catch up to myself, I kind of left me
Are the windows still blocked up? Let's see
Maybe see something we couldn't view before
Been in the stu all day cooking food for thought
Now out the soup du jour for you and yours
Might find sushi for your soul, we call that moving raw
Lions won't cross the line
Cougars won't move a paw
Chickens won't cross the road
Dogs won't roof at all
Always had flow, just added a front door, roof, and walls
Hotter than the fire that into which Koopa falls
But that's only if you super dawg
Sicker than when you use your dog to do assaults
You can never really tell just who's the fraud
Truth might still be alive like true and false
That's why I never really trust unless it's Lu endorsed
Sponsored by me and of course you know who enforced
Now that's three mis, like you warming up your vocal chords
Add a fourth if your vocals hoarse
Like Mister Ed
Get out of pocket have a horse's head in your bed
Now that's what I call a good night's rest

The whole song is dope...Form follows function.

it boggles my mind you all dont like FNL2. minus 4 songs (that are back to back in the middle) this is a GREAT album

Last edited:
Only album I don't like really is FnL2. Favorite song from LASERS was All Black Everything :pimp: Murals is my new joint too. :smokin

Good one man. You might have gotten a different album.

Lupe is one of the greatest artist of this generation. His music is much bigger than just hip hop. He's the type of rapper I want non-hip hop heads to listen to.
I dig Lupe. In fact, I think he's probably has the best potential out of any hip hop artist to debut in the last 10 years.  At his best, his work is a perfect blend of lyricism, great hooks, strong song concepts, and production. His first two albums are him at the peak of his abilities.

Since then though...dude has fallen off. T & Y continues the descent. Take a track like murals, which NT loves to death...its great lyricism, but its not a song so much as Lupe just showing off for however many minutes. It may be good lyricism, but its not good music.

before Lasers I honestly thought he had potential to go down as one of the top 5 to ever do it, and after Lasers I just can't look at him the same way. Have heard great things about T&Y, so I need to take time to give it a quality listen sometime.

Seen him 10 times live, and his show at HOB Hollywood in '08 I believe it was is still one of the greatest shows i've ever been to. 2 1/2 hours, played almost all of the first 2 albums as well as a bunch of mixtape cuts. unreal.

before Lasers I honestly thought he had potential to go down as one of the top 5 to ever do it, and after Lasers I just can't look at him the same way. Have heard great things about T&Y, so I need to take time to give it a quality listen sometime.

Seen him 10 times live, and his show at HOB Hollywood in '08 I believe it was is still one of the greatest shows i've ever been to. 2 1/2 hours, played almost all of the first 2 albums as well as a bunch of mixtape cuts. unreal.

cosign all this except I havent seen him 10 times

I can't talk Lupe with people because i am an admitted Stan. I still claim if you don't like him its because you don't get it.
T&Y is pure art. I can't say enough about it honestly. Play it backwards. It tells the story. The songs stand on their own and as a big picture. The lines in each song have 2 meanings the songs themselves carry multiple meanings and the album its self as a whole has multiple meanings. It blows me away what he was able to do.

I saw him live pre-lasers and it was a top 5 concert for me ever. His energy is fantastic. He does things that other rappers don't and he takes it seriously. Down to the breath control he doesnt' skip a bar. No hype man....he raps every word, knows where he can and can't take a breath to not mess up the song.

My favorite rapper by far

I can't talk Lupe with people because i am an admitted Stan. I still claim if you don't like him its because you don't get it.
T&Y is pure art. I can't say enough about it honestly. Play it backwards. It tells the story. The songs stand on their own and as a big picture. The lines in each song have 2 meanings the songs themselves carry multiple meanings and the album its self as a whole has multiple meanings. It blows me away what he was able to do.

I saw him live pre-lasers and it was a top 5 concert for me ever. His energy is fantastic. He does things that other rappers don't and he takes it seriously. Down to the breath control he doesnt' skip a bar. No hype man....he raps every word, knows where he can and can't take a breath to not mess up the song.

I used to stan over Lupe, for a long time until T & Y came out I kinda stopped checking for him. T & Y was fantastic and much better than I expected, but I barely play it now.

It's a top 5-7 release of the year, but I gotta say, at the end of the day I rather listen to Kendrick than Lupe. Both great artists, both doing it a little differently, but TPAB was/is perfection to my ears.

Sadly the only chance I ever got to see Lupe perform
Was right when Lasers dropped, his energy was insane for such a mediocre album, no doubt dude is a great performer.

I used to stan over Lupe, for a long time until T & Y came out I kinda stopped checking for him. T & Y was fantastic and much better than I expected, but I barely play it now.

It's a top 5-7 release of the year, but I gotta say, at the end of the day I rather listen to Kendrick than Lupe. Both great artists, both doing it a little differently, but TPAB was/is perfection to my ears.

Sadly the only chance I ever got to see Lupe perform
Was right when Lasers dropped, his energy was insane for such a mediocre album, no doubt dude is a great performer.

I hear you and can completely understand that. The thing about kendrick is he very black pride driven in his music. And being white, i just don't relate to it as much as i imagine others do. Obviously not a bad thing but lupe speaks to me more.

repped either way

I hear you and can completely understand that. The thing about kendrick is he very black pride driven in his music. And being white, i just don't relate to it as much as i imagine others do. Obviously not a bad thing but lupe speaks to me more.

repped either way

I'm white as well. And I get what you're saying. It's like the first time I heard "Murder To Excellence" from
WTT, I can't really relate to it, but I can appreciate it for being some great music.

When TPAB released I had a hard time trying to listen to it deeper, then one night I just listened to it front to back about 5 times and fully understood the album, the message, and absolutely loved the production.

Side note, the other night I walked into my friends apartment and he was bumping "TRON" from T & Y, and yes, that album is fantastic as well. Mural alone is a top 5 track of the year and in terms of pure rap ability might be number 1.

:pimp: Lupes GOAT

Pharaoh 2/30 is crazy!! Lu can flip any beat and make it his own sound, KINGS is too dope

I remember this! Was it in January? It 2008 the month after The Cool dropped. This show solidified my fandom

Back
Top Bottom