Life right after college? vol. taking the summer off...

whats good NT.
i am about to graduate from Sonoma State (its been a long 5 years). im going to be taking to summer off the relax cuz i figured its my last break before my "life" happens.  cuz after that there are no more summer break.  every season is the same.  

i studied business management and i worked at chase this semester. (teller)

im planning on teaching tennis over the summer ($20/hour) so money wont be too much of an issue.

i was wondering how much this is going to affect my job search when the fall starts. because my major is so broad its freakin me out.

im going to be staying in the san jose area.

whats good NT.
i am about to graduate from Sonoma State (its been a long 5 years). im going to be taking to summer off the relax cuz i figured its my last break before my "life" happens.  cuz after that there are no more summer break.  every season is the same.  

i studied business management and i worked at chase this semester. (teller)

im planning on teaching tennis over the summer ($20/hour) so money wont be too much of an issue.

i was wondering how much this is going to affect my job search when the fall starts. because my major is so broad its freakin me out.

im going to be staying in the san jose area.

Start looking for work as soon as you graduate. I'm not saying hit the pavement as soon as you get home from school. You can take a break but don't take too long of a break. While you are chilling, other grads are going to get the jobs you should have been applying for. I'm telling you from experience.

I would still go ahead and look for jobs. I read somewhere recently that 54% of college graduates in the last 5 years are unemployed. Dont take advantage of having a degree you might be the lucky percent that can jump right into a career. Good luck and congrats.

I would still go ahead and look for jobs. I read somewhere recently that 54% of college graduates in the last 5 years are unemployed. Dont take advantage of having a degree you might be the lucky percent that can jump right into a career. Good luck and congrats.

Start looking for work as soon as you graduate. I'm not saying hit the pavement as soon as you get home from school. You can take a break but don't take too long of a break. While you are chilling, other grads are going to get the jobs you should have been applying for. I'm telling you from experience.

Just do you. When I graduated I took the summer off and just messed around while I decided what I was going to do. There's no rush. Waiting 3 or 4 months to find a job will not hurt you at all.

Just as long as don't pass up any great opportunities that might present themselves, take some time to relish the fact you graduated and the next step of your life will begin shortly.

Just do you. When I graduated I took the summer off and just messed around while I decided what I was going to do. There's no rush. Waiting 3 or 4 months to find a job will not hurt you at all.

Just as long as don't pass up any great opportunities that might present themselves, take some time to relish the fact you graduated and the next step of your life will begin shortly.

pretty much wat the above folks said. enjoy the time off, but always have a plan and be productive. If you can't find jobs, look for internships or anything that will get you experience in the career field to fill that chronological void in your resume. Sometimes, you may land a job but you won't start until a few months after securing the position (which happened to my friend and boom, he pretty much had three months to himself after graduating and starting his first job).

I myself graduated last September and didn't start looking for jobs until then. My plan is/was to apply for grad school for Spring '12 and take the necessary exam for now (which I've done). Other than that, I was hoping I'd be working by now until I start school again, but after a few months of searching and just one interview (which didn't go through) and another scheduled for Monday, let's just say my job search isn't going quite as planned.

Congrats and good luck tho OP.

pretty much wat the above folks said. enjoy the time off, but always have a plan and be productive. If you can't find jobs, look for internships or anything that will get you experience in the career field to fill that chronological void in your resume. Sometimes, you may land a job but you won't start until a few months after securing the position (which happened to my friend and boom, he pretty much had three months to himself after graduating and starting his first job).

I myself graduated last September and didn't start looking for jobs until then. My plan is/was to apply for grad school for Spring '12 and take the necessary exam for now (which I've done). Other than that, I was hoping I'd be working by now until I start school again, but after a few months of searching and just one interview (which didn't go through) and another scheduled for Monday, let's just say my job search isn't going quite as planned.

Congrats and good luck tho OP.

don't hesitate and let others potentially take opportunities away from you.
tired.gif

there are JOBS out there, ESPECIALLY in the Silicon Valley. California unemployment rate is dropping... its at about 10-12% right now.

my field of work is in Strategic Business Management/Sales Operations and there is definitely a wealth of knowledge and skills you can gain in this field. you basically work with everyone (operations, legal, finance, engineering, marketing, etc.), as you support your company's defined top-priority accounts, working in alignment with your Sales force.

$20 an hour is NOT doing it. Hop on that job search ASAP!!!!
glasses.gif

don't hesitate and let others potentially take opportunities away from you.
tired.gif

there are JOBS out there, ESPECIALLY in the Silicon Valley. California unemployment rate is dropping... its at about 10-12% right now.

my field of work is in Strategic Business Management/Sales Operations and there is definitely a wealth of knowledge and skills you can gain in this field. you basically work with everyone (operations, legal, finance, engineering, marketing, etc.), as you support your company's defined top-priority accounts, working in alignment with your Sales force.

$20 an hour is NOT doing it. Hop on that job search ASAP!!!!
glasses.gif

on the real, you should have been looking for jobs already. i understand you just had a big accomplishment and want to just chill out for a bit, but the early bird gets the worm man.

in this economy, you almost can't afford to take time to figure out your next move. you gotta plan 2 or 3 moves in advance.

i started my job search at the beginning on my senior year. i applied any and everywhere. i was handing my resume out like flyers. on one particular day i had 4 interviews. man it was stressful, but it paid off. i had a few job offers 2 months before i graduated.

for you and all others in college, pay attention. use the schools career assistance and go to those job fairs. this is your best bet. you have all these employers in one place and all are basically saying, "i want what you have to offer, and i want it now" ever looked at some of these jobs locator sights like monster and some others? jobs will be posted for months and no occupants. those jobs aren't nessecarily in a hurry to get filled. but these job fairs and companies that participate with career centers are ready and willing to hire you.

don't miss the boat. i cant speak for everyone and all situations, but everyone that i know that i went to school with that didn't wise up and take advantage of the opportunity ended up losing out.

just my 2 cents.

on the real, you should have been looking for jobs already. i understand you just had a big accomplishment and want to just chill out for a bit, but the early bird gets the worm man.

in this economy, you almost can't afford to take time to figure out your next move. you gotta plan 2 or 3 moves in advance.

i started my job search at the beginning on my senior year. i applied any and everywhere. i was handing my resume out like flyers. on one particular day i had 4 interviews. man it was stressful, but it paid off. i had a few job offers 2 months before i graduated.

for you and all others in college, pay attention. use the schools career assistance and go to those job fairs. this is your best bet. you have all these employers in one place and all are basically saying, "i want what you have to offer, and i want it now" ever looked at some of these jobs locator sights like monster and some others? jobs will be posted for months and no occupants. those jobs aren't nessecarily in a hurry to get filled. but these job fairs and companies that participate with career centers are ready and willing to hire you.

don't miss the boat. i cant speak for everyone and all situations, but everyone that i know that i went to school with that didn't wise up and take advantage of the opportunity ended up losing out.

just my 2 cents.

I would highly recommend doing job searching as soon as possible. Make sure your resume is top-notch and you have good cover letters. As long as you don't have a job, you should be doing that all day.

I learned that the hard way, I had an internship after I graduated, but after it ended, I spent half a year being unemployed and just applying to jobs. I just got a contractor position, but it's still not that "full-time job out of college" that I've really wanted.

I would highly recommend doing job searching as soon as possible. Make sure your resume is top-notch and you have good cover letters. As long as you don't have a job, you should be doing that all day.

I learned that the hard way, I had an internship after I graduated, but after it ended, I spent half a year being unemployed and just applying to jobs. I just got a contractor position, but it's still not that "full-time job out of college" that I've really wanted.

i played 4 years at SSU. we were like a bad d-1 team basically. i played 3 single and doubles my senior year.
im most likely not going to wait the whole summer till i start looking, but i def just need a break.  27 hours and 16 units with finals coming up is starting wearing down on me a little bit.

my resume is decent not spectacular.  i need to network as much as i can when i get back home.  its about who u know.

i played 4 years at SSU. we were like a bad d-1 team basically. i played 3 single and doubles my senior year.
im most likely not going to wait the whole summer till i start looking, but i def just need a break.  27 hours and 16 units with finals coming up is starting wearing down on me a little bit.

my resume is decent not spectacular.  i need to network as much as i can when i get back home.  its about who u know.

I graduated last week. This is honestly the weirdest feeling. I am trying to line up this job in St. Paul, MN... it's paying 40 k. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Seriously, though, I can't even look at old college pictures on Facebook. It makes me too sad. I miss everyone! I probably won't see a lot of these people ever again... damn. 
frown.gif

I graduated last week. This is honestly the weirdest feeling. I am trying to line up this job in St. Paul, MN... it's paying 40 k. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Seriously, though, I can't even look at old college pictures on Facebook. It makes me too sad. I miss everyone! I probably won't see a lot of these people ever again... damn. 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by QuaniBoiXi

Are you playing any of the Futures coming up in June? and do you know a kid named Patrick Maloney?

Back
Top Bottom