Lil Boosie interview in Ozone Magazine vol. 187 on Trill Ent.

Facing a year in jail with what was "supposed" to be a classic album in stores, Boosie reveals why he actually hates beingSuperbad.
Words by Maurice G. Garland
Photos by Diwang Valdez

"It's a dirty world that we live in
Can't even trust ya own family at times…
@#+%@ will make your whole family cry."
- Lil Boosie "Dirty World"

Lil Boosie isn't crying, and neither are any of the other people in his midtown Atlanta hotel room. But he sure does look pissed off. In town for theBET Hip Hop Awards, Boosie Bad %+% is apparently having a bad day. Opting to do his interviews from his hotel room instead of coming outside, he isn't muchin the mood for talking. Hell, it almost sounds like he isn't really in the mood to go to the award show either. After all, he wasn't nominated foranything.

"If this was the Ghetto Hip Hop Awards, I'd win every award," says Boosie, of his absence from Hip Hop award shows, period. "I guess alot of 'Hip Hop' don't relate to me. I guess I don't meet their quota."

"Hip Hop" may not fully embrace Boosie. But in many Southern cities like Jackson, MS, Charleston, SC and Columbus, GA, Boosie is Hip Hop. Thoughthe mainstream may only recognize him from songs like his 2006 club hit "Zoom" and his appearances on Foxx's "Wipe Me Down" andWebbie's "Independent," Boosie has been a walking legend in the South for seven years.

Brought into the game by C-Loc (the man also responsible for giving Young Bleed, Max Minelli and CTE's Boo their first taste of national recognition),Boosie released his first solo album Youngest of Da Camp in 2000. But it wasn't until he hooked up with the Pimp C-endorsed Trill Entertainment andreleased 2003's For My Thugz and two collaborative efforts with labelmate Webbie (Ghetto Stories and Gangsta Muzik) that he grew into one of the mostunderrated Southern rappers with a diehard fan base.

However, Boosie's buzz failed to reach fire-hot proportions as his next solo, 2006's Bad %+%, didn't appear until three years later. In 2009, hedropped Superbad.

"Why [do] me and Webbie only put out one album every three years?" he ponders, rhetorically. "Because somebody's stupid! Me and Webbieare supposed to be ten times bigger than what we are right now. Nobody makes better music than us. That's how I feel, and that's the truth."

Musings like these make it apparent that Boosie's professional relationship with his Trill Entertainment label home is starting to sour, fast.

"Just think if I had seven albums out right now," says Boosie, averaging out the results of him releasing one album for every year he's beensigned to Trill. "Nobody could touch me. I'd be getting $100k a show right now. But I got a stupid %%@ label. They don't know what to do with me.So I'ma do something with myself. I can record my own music, shoot my own videos, do my own DVDs; I don't need nobody for nothing."

Ironically, one of the people he's angry with agrees with him, to a degree.

"I share in those frustrations," says Marcus "Turk" Roach, co-CEO of Trill Ent. "The easiest way to fix [the problem] is for Boosieto stay in the studio recording. Until recently, he didn't always have the same work ethic he has now. I guess when you see other artists dropping albumsthree [times] to your one, it encourages you to get in [the studio] and produce quality music."

He continues, "We have always encouraged Boosie and all our other artists to stand up and be businessmen."

Boosie's first step towards independence is starting his own company, Bad %+% Entertainment. From this day forth, he says that's all he'sfocusing on. To him, right now, Trill is in his past. Even though Superbad just came out last month, it's already ancient history.

"You ain't got be featured on my tape, I don't need you +%@#+@ anyway"
- Lil Boosie - "Boosie When You Gonna Drop"

Superbad just hit the streets and people are saying good things about it. The album did have a lot of features on it, which was odd considering wenever saw that from you in the past.
Really, I didn't have a lot of features. I brought ten songs to the album with just me on there. My CEO was trying to blow his son [Lil Phat] up, and puthim on my CD. [The only features] I thought were on my album was Webbie, [Young] Jeezy, Trina, and Bobby Valentino. I didn't tell [Turk] to put [Lil Phat]on there. When I saw Phat on a quarter of my album, that was the CEO trying to blow him up. That's what made the album look like it had more features.He's on five songs, and I ain't like that %!@* at all. I wasn't going for a lot of features, I was going for a classic. They weakened it.

Have you spoken with your CEO since this happened?
We're not talking right now. I will express it in songs they'll hear later. I am going to express it though. Every @#+%@ in every city is calling measking, "Why is [Lil Phat] on so many songs?" No, I turned the album in and the CEO put that @#+%@ on the rest of the songs.

[Turk's response: We don't talk as often as we used to because we both have legal issues that we are working through, but [we speak] at leastonce a week. My business manager talks to him four or five times a day, so we are communicating. You see the album out and him working. That's us gettingit done.]

If that's true, we can see why you're eager to start your own company.
That's why I'm focused on getting my own %!@*. They're trying to blow their son up off me. I'm trying to do my thing, so this new album I'mdoing, I'm turning it in straight to the people in New York so it ain't gonna have nobody from Trill on the album but Webbie.

Why would they do that to you?
They might've thought I was doing my thing too much and figured since I got one of the biggest albums of the year coming out, let me put myson on there and get him famous. I was disappointed by that. They're not letting me have say-so on what's on my album. I wanted a double disc andcouldn't get that. There's all kinds of *$*!@#-up %!@* going on with me. I feel like if there was more of me on [Superbad], it would've been aclassic. Most people fast-forward his %!@* and rewind my %!@*; it makes people have to keep *+@!$+$ with the song. I like for people to let my songs ride. Sothat was a big-%%@ mistake, trying to blow your son up on my album. Some people sons have it and others don't, like his son.

[Turk's response: Our normal practice of doing records is similar to most labels. We have tracks and artist hop on them. The artist with the hottestverse stays on the track. Three of the songs that Phat is featured on, Boosie delivered to us with his verse already on there.]

But you don't have a problem with Lil Phat himself though, right?
I ain't got no problem with lil' buddy, they ain't gangsta no way. My thing is, I turn an album in and you put him on all those songslike that. This is my album. They know if they called and asked me [if they could add him], I'ma say, "%!@* no!" So don't do no %!@* like puthim on five songs. You don't do that to me like that. You got me having listening sessions for people and I'm having to explain my CD?

Oh wow, so the songs were just popping up on you too?
Yeah, the verses were just popping up. I'm like damn, he's on this song too? This song? That %!@* hurt me, brah. They'll never getthat chance again. This next album [Free At Last] I'm turning in straight to Warner Bros.; [Trill] cant touch this one. I get all the recording money andproduction money; they can't touch this one. We don't have no beats from no Trill Ent producers either. I've got a label deal now. They'rewriting me a check.

I can imagine something like that would affect your trust level of people in the music industry.
I don't trust nobody in the record industry. Money is the root of all evil. They don't like to pay you, so you gotta get lawyers involved. If street+%@#+@ kept it street, you wouldn't have to get lawyers involved.

So far you've made it pretty clear that you don't particularly care for your own album. But what are you hearing your fans say aboutit?
Fans tell me they love the album, but they're still asking why [Lil Phat] is on all the songs. "Is he your artist?" $+$% no. They're allasking the same thing. His father wanted his son to be on Superbad. That's just +%@#+@ not caring how hard I worked to make a classic. It's a dirtyworld. I had been finished that %!@*. I could've had the album out two years ago. I could've had eight albums out [by now], but our label are stupid#%!*$. Trill spent all their money on stupid-%%@ people who ain't gonna sell no *+@!$+$ records. They're stupid #%!*$. Put the money [into] me andWebbie, +%@#+@ who have been winning from day one. Instead, you go and put out a group album with nine people on the cover [2007's Trill EntertainmentPresents: Survival of the Fittest]. Why not do a Gangsta Muzik 2 with me and Webbie? You're gonna do a group album with nine mutha****as on the cover? Youstupid. Put the money where people want the money.

How long have you been doing Bad %+% Entertainment?
Two-and-a-half years. It was just me being a businessman knowing that if I kept doing mixtapes I'd eventually get a deal. There's two CEOs at Trill.With my company there's just one CEO, so I own everything. It's just me being a man. I write better music [when I'm recording for] my own labeltoo. I got more people with better work ethic, and my production is better. I make more music [by myself] than I was over there [at Trill].

What are some things you've learned from your time at other labels that you plan on implementing at your own label?
I learned you can try to be loyal, but that %!@* doesn't roll accordingly. I saw Trill had me just rapping my whole damn life, recouping 100% oneverything. I just learned about the game and it's crazy now, it ain't no love no more. I'm strictly trying to get my money. All this other %!@* isirrelevant. I've made [other] +%@#+@ money for years, and now it seems like they don't want to see me get no money. I'm gonna let my artist gettheir royalties and %!@*. You work, you get paid. That's how I'm doing it.

"Lights, camera, action, pose (woof)
I know I'm looking good for these %#%! like (woof)
People compare me to 'Pac so off top I'm like (woof)
This gangsta %!@* don't stop, when I drop it's like (woof)"
- Lil Boosie "I'm A Dog"

While Boosie is no stranger to trouble, a specific case he caught last October that actually poses a threat to his budding career. According to reports,Boosie was stopped by police officers who smelled the scent a marijuana coming from his car. When pulled over it was both reported and rumored that he refusedto get out of the car, attempted to bribe the officers, and even tried to drive off. When police searched the car, they also found a gun. Ultimately he wascharged with possession of marijuana, possession of a firearm with a controlled dangerous substance, and resisting an officer.

While the impending punishment has loomed over his head for the past year, it didn't stop Boosie from making music or doing shows. But when he wasreportedly sentenced in September to two years in prison (Boosie says it's only one year, if that) things seem to be coming to a momentary halt.

The current situation you're in is similar to what we saw Tupac going through 15 years ago. People already compare you to him musically, but hasthis comparison crossed your mind at all?
It always crosses my mind. Every time I see 'Pac on TV I think to myself, "I'm going through the same thing he was." Hopefully somebody comesalong and buys me out of my contract just like [Suge] did for 'Pac. (laughs) Puffy, 50, Jigga, I hope y'all listening. I'ma be the biggest @#+%@ inthe game when I get home. Come buy me out of this pain and let me make some billions for y'all +%@#+@. I might be gone for a while but that's gonnamake me the biggest @#+%@ in the game. I'm coming out hard, man.

Well, earlier you said you didn't appreciate how Trill was treating you. The names you just mentioned don't have the cleanest records whenit comes to being label CEOs either.
I got lawyers now. I ain't gonna let a @#+%@ whip me on contract no more. If he sees my best interest and can make me what I want to be, I'ma roll withhim. $+$% what he did to the last @#+%@. It's about me trying to get on, $+$% them other +%@#+@.

But really, I'd feel like I'm just punching these crackers back in the face for what they're doing to me. This is my first conviction. JesseJackson needs to be down here screaming for me too. This my first conviction and I'm doing jail time. I know millions of people with paper on them for gunand drug charges, but [I got sentenced] because of who I am.

They're just trying to make an example out of me, but it's gonna blow back up in their face. I'm not a convicted felon, so I [should be]eligible for papers. Simple as that. I'm gonna make them afraid to look out their window at night. I'm coming home with a grudge on my shoulder.

Well, we've yet to hear your version of what actually happened the day you were arrested.
I was coming from a funeral, and my pa'tna left his gun in my car. Narcotic officers blocked me in. I locked my door and finished smoking and got out.Wasn't no bribing, none of that %!@* going on. I got caught with marijuana and my friend's gun was in the car. This the same courtroom that sentMystikal away. Before I take it to trial, I'll go lay down for 365 days. It's something but it's nothing. I'm the one that's got to do thetime, by myself. +%@#+@ be talking about, "Keep your head up." $+$% you, @#+%@. Don't worry if my head is up. Suck my %*+$, @%$*%. I'm theone that's gotta do this time. Y'all are gonna be at home still wiping your %%@ with Charmin. If you see me with my head down, @%$*%, just look theother way. Don't tell me %!@* about "Keep ya head up." $+$% all that. Put something in a @#+%@'s account. I'm just going to do a year andI'll be back. Might be 10 months. I'm gonna try and get my GED or something.

The day you were sentenced, you said you wanted to focus on spending more time with your family. Have you been able to do that?
Not really. I've got so much music I'm trying to do. Some of my children don't even live with me and they mama be tripping. When I go back to courton November 9th, I'm not asking for a 25 day extension to keep me out of jail. I'm just going in. I can't stand how they're doing me.They're not letting me travel with this %!@* on my leg. It's time to get this %!@* over with.

Do you look at all of this happening as a sign? Maybe you needed to slow down in some areas of your life?
I'm just accepting it. I see it as God tapping me on my wrist a little bit. He's sending me to jail so I can learn the hard way. But when I get out,it's my chance to show him I'm thankful. It's coming back triple. I think this jail %!@* is about to take me farther than being on the streets forthree years could've taken me. Everything happens for a reason. It's *$*!@# up that it has to work that way, but I think it's gonna work out in myfavor. Staying four years on the street, still putting out just one album, or going to jail 10-11 months with a CD coming out 2 weeks after that? That'shigh publicity. Jail only makes you sell more records. +%@#+@ are already asking to book me for the first Saturday I'm home. Offering [amounts of] moneyI've never gotten before [for shows]. I'm just gonna be in there chilling, looking at pictures, beating my %*+$ to bad @%%%++!.

Besides that, have you given any thought to what you're gonna do to pass the time? Many artists who get locked up say they don't feelinspired to write music while they're in there.
Lift weights, sleep. I don't be having no vibe in there to write music. I don't write music until I've been [in prison] for about a month. I doalways end up writing music, but it's jail-oriented [music], and I'm more versatile than that.

Is there anything else you want to share?
The name of my next album is Free At Last. [impersonates Martin Luther King] Free at last, free at last…that's yo mutha @@!$@!' %%@. //

pimp.gif

good to see that he didn't instead superbad to be that wack. i was wondering why dude has 10 albums worth of material and only 2 albums out but i see. gladto see dude doesn't like lil phat either.

I said it first time I read the interview -- The whole Lil Phat situation explains why the album was so wack.

Definitely supporting this dude.

And from the looks of it, he's got enough material stashed to hold over til he gets free.

Wait, i thought they handed him more than one year in prison..?

Back
Top Bottom