LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

FOUR-GAME SERIES SET TO OPEN THE SEASON
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1073522
839208.jpg
Dallas Jackson is the Senior Analyst for RivalsHigh. Email him your question, comment or story ideas to DallasJ@Yahoo-Inc.com and follow him on Twitter.

The number of kickoff classic events for high school football is on the rise. The 2010 season now has another to add to the list: Florida versus The USA.

RivalsHigh.com has learned The Gridiron Challenge Foundation has finalized deals with eight teams to play a four-game series on the weekend of Aug. 27-28 at Daytona Municipal Stadium in Daytona Beach, Florida.

The event will start with one Friday evening game, pairing Daytona Beach (Fla.) Mainland against defending Mississippi Class 5A Champion West Point High. Kickoff is 7 p.m.

West Point is coming off of a 14-1 season and returns running back LaKenderic Thomas to key a strong ground game. Mainland ended the 2009 campaign 9-3, losing in the second round of the Florida playoffs. The Buccaneers, who spent a few weeks in the RivalsHigh 100 last season, welcome back Florida State commit Cortez Davis and Clemson-bound running back Marlin Lane.

The event organizer, Billy Fleming, said that the original plan was to play four games on Saturday but Mainland-West Point was moved because both teams had a strong desire to play on Friday night.

There are three games on Saturday. Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central takes on Dallas (Texas) Skyline at noon. Then Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Day plays Jeffersonville (Ga.) Twiggs County. The day concludes with Cocoa (Fla.) High facing Olive Branch (Miss.) High.

Fleming said the teams were chosen for very specific reasons.

"The teams were chosen mainly by their history and recent success," he said.

Fleming also gave strong consideration to making sure the games were quality match-ups for both teams.

"We had two small schools that wanted in," he said. "And it made such a great pairing."
[table][tr][td]
936382.jpg
[/td][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Chevelle Buie leads Cocoa.[/td][/tr][/table] The first game on Saturday features two teams that climbed into the Top 15 of the RivalsHigh 100 last year.
Dallas Skyline, which was as high as No. 2 nationally, ended the year ranked No. 91, finishing 12-1 with a disappointing playoff loss. The team will be fielding a lot of new faces as it sent 11 seniors to Division I schools and graduated four more starters.

Glades Central was as high as No. 12 nationally in the 2009 season before settling in at No. 72 at season's end after losing in the state finals to Cocoa. Glades Central, a traditional power in Florida, features Rivals 250 to Watch member, Kelvin Benjamin, at wide receiver.

The afternoon matinee game will have two smaller classifications but one of the brightest - and youngest - stars in the event.

Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Day, the defending Class 1B state champion in Florida, hosts Georgia Class A member Jeffersonville Twiggs County. The game will be a showcase event for 2013 running back Kelvin Taylor, son of NFL player Fred Taylor. Taylor led the Gators to a state title last year averaging 127 yards on the ground per game.

The final game will feature Cocoa (Fla.) High, in defense of a Class 2A title in 2009 and Class 3A title in 2008, taking on perennial 6A Mississippi power, Olive Branch.

Cocoa ended the 2009 season ranked No. 57 in the RivalsHigh 100 and could have a better team returning in 2010, featuring running back Chevelle Buie.

Olive Branch, however, could be in a rebuilding year. In 2010, the Conquistadors sent three offensive lineman to the SEC. Running a spread offense behind an inexperienced line could prove to be an undoing early.

The Florida versus The USA event is the first for Fleming and his organization, but plans are underway to expand to other markets for major events.

Fleming has two key places in the Southeast targeted.

"We are looking into Legion Field in Birmingham and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis," he said. "We want to do two mega events next year."

I hope this is televised

Any word on where Buie is leaning? I think he's interested in us but we're kind of putting all our focus on Hart, who will be up for the Spring game Saturday.

smh.gif
she mushed that +%%!% and he went off.

Any word on where Buie is leaning?

Michigan is going hard after him, I dunno who leads. Hes very good , very very good.

I hear Miami is leading for Kelvin Benjamin
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
(the next KII)

laugh.gif
Dorsey sorry #%% more aggressive with his girlfriend than he ever was on the football field...

DE Brennan Beyer is a Wolverine. Big pickup. Kid is an animal and seems to be a Craig Roh type player. OG Anthony Zettel should be next and hopefully Dee Hart will see what's up this weekend

The celebration penalty, I'm all for team spirit, I'm all for eliminating individual showboating and all that," Dooley said. "But there's a point where the punishment gets a little bit greater than the crime. I think the rule how it was (previously) was good. The problem with the rule was the enforcement, the consistency in enforcement, not the penalty. That's my opinion on it, but that's just one man's opinion."

It's already become apparent that he's not the only coach that feels that way.

Texas coach Mack Brown released a statement to media covering the Longhorns on Thursday echoing almost the exact same sentiment.
"I am most concerned about the taunting rule," he said. "I don't disagree with it, but am worried about the consistency in how the rule is interpreted, especially when it can cost a team a touchdown.

"It can be looked at so differently by the various officiating groups around the country and a call would have such a major impact on games that in fairness, it's crucial that it is called the same way for everyone."

EA really going all out with NCAA Football 11:

[h1]
[h1]ESPN Integration[/h1][h3]by Greg  04/15/10 5:55 PM [/h3]

ShareThis

Hey everyone, this is Greg Heddlesten and I’m a Designer for the NCAA[emoji]174[/emoji] Football 11 team here at Tiburon. My main area of ownership is presentation and, as Roy mentioned in his previous blog, when we began work on NCAA 11 it was very important for us bring even more authenticity to the product and continue to blur the line between real life and the game. One of our first goals for this year’s title was to give our in-game presentation an upgrade with the audio and visuals of ESPN College Football.

Previously, we had only gotten our feet wet with ESPN integration by implementing the ESPN SportsCenter updates and the news ticker. But everyone here, as well as everyone on the forums, felt that the ESPN experience just wasn’t complete without the ESPN College Football theme music and the in-game visuals and presentation. We all got our first taste of what an ESPN style broadcast could bring to our college sports products in NCAA[emoji]174[/emoji] Basketball 10. The excitement, imagery, and sounds they were able to implement gave their game an entirely new vibe. With that in mind, it was time for us to dive in and really give our in-game presentation a new coat of paint with the help of ESPN.

One of the cool things about working with ESPN on the visual side was we were able to see the new graphics package they were going to roll out in 2010 before everyone else. The general public got one of their first glances of this new visual style during the Bowl Season this past winter. It was really important for us to have the graphics in the game match what you would be seeing during the College Football season this year. The reference provided by ESPN really helped our artists replicate the look and UI animations you’ll see on television and help us continue to blur the line between NCAA Football 11 and watching a broadcast of ESPN College Football. So, without further delay, let’s take a closer look at what’s to come!

The sights and sounds of ESPN you can expect in NCAA[emoji]174[/emoji] Football 11:

Updated In-Game UI:

Game Clock: As some of you recently speculated in the Tim Tebow interview article, the game clock has been updated to reflect the new visual style that ESPN revealed during bowl season. We’ve recreated nearly every animation in the game clock from the Touchdown animation to how the clock opens out from the single ESPN cell.

Banners: Banners received a face lift to match the ESPN style with new data like home town info for Impact and Injured player banners. In addition, we’ve also created a “Dual Threat
[/h1]

Miami up 19 tp 7 on UF
smh.gif

Just kidding, hope the gameplay is improved as well, i could really care less about ESPN's involvement.

We need 85 man rosters, I end up having to cut 10-12 good players each year.

it's about damn time that EA put ESPN in the freaking game. all this ESPN crap they claimed before was hot garbage
smh.gif

its lookin nice this year.
hopefully you can actually break away with 99 speed in this game, everyone running the exact speed in the past.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

DE Brennan Beyer is a Wolverine. Big pickup. Kid is an animal and seems to be a Craig Roh type player. OG Anthony Zettel should be next and hopefully Dee Hart will see what's up this weekend
oh man I didn't even see that.  Thats great news.  C'mon Dee just do it.

CJ Mizell @ Washington State has a chance to make a lot of noise in the Pac-10 if he can keep his nose clean.

CJ Mizell @ Washington State has a chance to make a lot of noise in the Pac-10 if he can keep his nose clean.

Michigan Spring Game today. Sucks that Martin and Molk are both out because I would love to see those two get after eachother.

Dying to see Justin Turner. Hope he can turn it up and grab a starting spot because he is too talented to not play. Wouldn't even mind him playing the box safety spot because he can stick for sure. Or putting Cam there and JT to the deep safety.

Michigan Spring Game today. Sucks that Martin and Molk are both out because I would love to see those two get after eachother.

Dying to see Justin Turner. Hope he can turn it up and grab a starting spot because he is too talented to not play. Wouldn't even mind him playing the box safety spot because he can stick for sure. Or putting Cam there and JT to the deep safety.

I just wanna see the 8 foot bobblehead of Chuck for the most part
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

I just wanna see the 8 foot bobblehead of Chuck for the most part
laugh.gif
You guys are both going?

Nebraska's spring game is today. I'll check back in later and let you guys know what I think. Also, I will be checking out the Auburn and Alabama spring games today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Williams dropped for Nebraska this weekend, he's supposed to be at their spring game.

HaSean Clinton Dix to Bama.

I am not going. Just went to my nephews lacrosse game and now headed to Lowes to check out some tiling for around the basement fireplace. Possibly Babies R Us for rocking chairs. I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Back
Top Bottom