LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

5'11" 8th graders?
eek.gif

laugh.gif
I'm more
eek.gif
at 5'11 8th graders running 4.4 40s... Most kids that size at that age are clumsy and tripping over themselves...

Yeah, Gallon at TB has me pretty excited to say the least.  The kid is electric.  Track speed/straight line speed =/= football speed.  He is as quick as he is fast.

And both my Scout and Rivals 'srips are officially dunzo...Newbs, z5573573c, Shabooyah, etc. what is the best blog for UofM football news?  I know Shabooyah had a good one that was basically Scout Insiders but just a day or 2 late...
nerd.gif
...I might need to hit him up on twitter.

Dude is very agile but he isnt going to be burning anyone on the field used to watch dude play all the time.
Yeah, well he was burning all the Army All Americans in practices and that's good enough potential evidence for now...for me at least.

EDIT: NVM, I found it: http://mgoblog.com/
pimp.gif

The little Berry's #s are insane.

[table][tr][td]VTO Recruiting Notebook 
premium.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
796425.jpg

Marquise Williams
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
By http:///search.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22">http://search.scout.com/a...p;search=1&sskey="' + author + '%22&sssiteid=73&type=2';">Miller Safrit

millers@scout.com
Posted Apr 5, 2010
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...=RT @ScoutRecruiting {{title}} {{url}}&lng=enhttp://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php... the VTO Sports Elite 100 on Saturday.&lng=enhttp://www.blogger.com/blog_this.py...t.com/2/959776.html&n=VTO Recruiting Notebookhttp://recruiting.scout.com/2/959776.html#email-a-friend-windowhttp://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=10&c=959776&refid=4781|More

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - With so many college prospects with offers on the field, here are updates on some of the main targets on the field at the VTO Sports Elite 100 on Saturday.
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[h3]Marquise likes three[/h3]Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek quarterback Marquise Williams says that he is up to 15 offers right now and though he is not ready to narrow his list any time soon he does have three favorites.

"I would say my top three are Virginia Tech, North Carolina, and LSU," said Williams who measured in at 6-3, 215 pounds at the event. "All three are great schools and their atmospheres are crazy.

"LSU was the first school to offer me and they have been recruiting me hard. North Carolina, my cousin Robert Williams went there, and I went to the Miami game last year and the fans all knew who I was. Virginia Tech is just the Hokies. I went up for a game last year when it was raining and the place was packed and the fans were crazy."

[h3]Lemay present and future[/h3]Christian LeMay, quarterback from Matthews (N.C.) Butler, says that it may seem confusing that his top ten has changed twice, but he did not expect the new attention he continues to get.

"New offers keep coming in and I have to evaluate everybody," said Lemay, who added that things have not changed since his last top ten two weeks ago.

Butler High also had a freshman wide receiver catching nearly everything throughout the day and a quick perusing of the roster showed a familiar name - Uriah LeMay, who already holds offers as well.

"I have offers from Virginia Tech, Clemson, and Arkansas," said the younger LeMay. "I just want to stay open minded and let things happen."

With a new high school opening in the Matthews area, Uriah is more concerned about his future high school as he may end up in a new zone and have to leave playing for Butler's national coach of the year Mike Newsome.

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]
796426.jpg

Drew Owens
Miller Safrit, Scout.com[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table][h3]Ardrey Kell duo want more[/h3]Drew Owens had a solid day on Saturday and the offer list for the Charlotte (N.C.) Ardry Kell tight end is now into the double digits. He also says five schools are currently in the lead.

"Clemson, South Carolina, North Carolina, NC State, and Wisconsin, said Owens. "I am going down to Clemson on the 10th to see what they have and I went down to South Carolina last Thursday. That was a good visit for me to see what they have."

Owens' running back teammate Justus Pickett picked up a pair of early offers as well with Stanford verbally offering last year and following that up with a written offer on September 1. South Carolina has also offered.

"I am still hearing from Georgia, Clemson, and North Carolina, too," said Pickett. "I want to give it time to see what comes. A lot of coaches said they were going to come in the spring to see me."

Pickett tested well in the VTO mini-combine with 41 inch vertical, a 4.24 shuttle, and a 4.56 forty.

[h3]Vad stays busy[/h3]Durham (N.C.) Hillside quarterback Vad Lee has a busy schedule and said that he currently has five teams out front.

"North Carolina, NC State, East Carolina, Maryland, and Georgia Tech," said Lee. "I've been to North Carolina three times already this week and I am going up there for their spring game. I went to East Carolina last week and I am going again this Friday. And I'm going to Georgia Tech on the 17th."

Lee said he visited North Carolina with close friend and current Tar Heel commitment T.J. Thorpe. Lee also confirmed that teammate Treshawn Council committed to East Carolina last week.

[h3]More offers for Martin[/h3]Pat Martin also posted some impressive times on Saturday with a 4.22 shuttle and 4.60 forty at 6-feet, 207 pounds for the Greenville (S.C.) J.L. Mann safety. He also continues to add new offers.

"LSU just offered, Cincinnatti offered on Friday, and Mississippi State offered on Saturday," said Martin. "I still have offers from Duke, UCLA, Maryland, and Minnesota, but I'm waiting for more schools to come this spring."

Spring practice starts at J.L. Mann on May 11.

[h3]Chester duo holding steady[/h3]Chester (S.C.) quarterback Tony McNeal was in attendance but unable to throw after injuring his knee last fall. Even after that, Clemson offered McNeal who quickly committed to the Tigers.

"The Clemson coaches knew who my doctor was, so they were not worried about what was going to happen to me," said McNeal.

Running back teammate Julius Pendergrass, who did work out and posted a 4.49 shuttle time, currently holds offers from Kentucky and Arkansas.

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]
796427.jpg

Roderick Byers
Miller Safrit, Scout.com[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table][h3]Two on the horizon[/h3]Rock Hill (S.C.) Northwestern defensive tackle Roderick Byers surprised even himself when he weighed in at 262 pounds at 6-3. Many schools could consider him to play either his high school position of defensive end or continue to grow and move inside to defensive tackle. The potential continues to grow new offers for Byers who added good news last week.

"Wake Forest offered me on Thursday," said Byers who also holds offers from Maryland, South Carolina, and Texas Tech. "I think Virginia Tech is going to be next. They called a month ago and said they really liked my film and wanted me to call, but I haven't been able to talk to them yet. Georgia Tech said they were going to offer me when they see me in person."

Byers plans to visit Georgia Tech soon, targeting April 17.

[h3]2012 holds an offer[/h3]Monroe (N.C.) Sun Valley wide receiver Jody Fuller continues to push his name as one of the state's best for the class of 2012 with another impressive outing, and the 6-foot, 197-pounder already holds an offer.

"South Carolina has offered me, and I am hearing some stuff from Florida, Duke, and Maryland," said Fuller. "Most of them are talking to me about wide receiver and maybe some running back."

[h3]Spring game for D.J.[/h3].J. Humphries, an offensive tackle from Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek, is expected to be one of the top prospects in North Carolina for the class of 2012 but he certainly does not seem to have the recruiting to back that up yet.

"So far about the only thing I have is an invitation to the NC State spring game," said Humphries. "I'm definitely going to that."
[/td][/tr][/table]

I'm interested to see how Marquise's recruitment shakes out. Blows my mind that Miami hasn't offered yet. I would love to have him come to UNC.

[h1]Michigan spring football practice: Denard Robinson pushing Tate Forcier for starting QB job[/h1]
Posted: Today, 3 hours ago

Denard-Robinson-041610-thumb-537x398-35233.jpg

Michigan quarterbacks Denard Robinson, left, and Tate Forcier rifle passes to their respective receivers during Tuesday afternoon, March 23rd's practice at Michigan's outdoor practice field outside Schembechler Hall.

Lon Horwedel | AnnArbor.com

Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez said Denard Robinson is pushing Tate Forcier for the starting quarterback job and he expects that race "to continue throughout spring and probably through August camp as well."

Forcier started all 12 games as a true freshman last year and led Michigan to a 4-0 start before slumping over the final two months.

Robinson got one start at running back and played as a Wildcat quarterback, but was far less advanced in the offense. He finished 14 of 31 passing with four interceptions. Most of this plays at quarterback were designed runs.

Rodriguez said Robinson has made strides understanding the offense and reading defenses.

More notes from Tuesday

• Backup defensive lineman Will Heininger tore his ACL in practice last week and might miss the 2010 season.

• Receiver JeRon Stokes, out most of the spring with an ankle injury, could return full go next week.

• Michigan has its second of three spring scrimmages on Saturday. Rodriguez said this one is "more important than the spring game."

• Rodriguez declined comment on cornerback recruit Demar Dorsey, who signed a letter of intent with a junior college in case he does not get admitted to Michigan. "If anything changes with any of our signees, I'll let y'all know," Rodriguez said.

I'm really not surprised this is happening. Tate might be the more complete QB but DRob is that Pat White RR wants. We'll see, if he can cut his turnovers down its gonna be very tight. The biggest thing to watch is how will Tate handle it if he loses the starting job.

Edit:  Gallon update for the day
laugh.gif

8. slots

Jeremy Gallon made a couple catches ... his problem has been to be sure he catches it before he runs ... he's slowly getting better at that

Quincy Russell backs out of UT commit after one day and they land potential five-star OOS lineman Christian Westerman...

I tried to tell a certain "rookie" on here that claiming Tate Forcier as a Heisman favorite was ABSOLUTELY ******ED (on SO MANY levels
smh.gif
) when there is a decent chance he'll be beat out by D-Rob by the time the '10 season started...he wasn't having any of that...

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I, for one, am in D-Rob's corner.
pimp.gif
...whoever the @%*# gives us the best chance to win needs to be under center.  PERIOD.  If it's Tate, then so be it.

Greenlea is really, really good... Last I'd heard his grades were in AWFUL shape though...

[h2]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...-Christine-Michael-full-grow?urn=ncaaf,232518[/h2]
[h2]Coming Attractions: Christine Michael, full-grown man (or rabbit)[/h2]
By Matt Hinton

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-958353048-1270598980.jpg
Sizing up the fall's most intriguing players, in no particular order. Today: Sophomore Texas A&M running back Christine Michael.

Typecasting. Let's get this out of the way: Yes, he has a girl's name. (It's pronounced "Chris-TIN.") Like Johnny Cash's eponymous hero, though, Michael channeled his inner rage toward productive, masculine ends, emerging from southeast Texas last year as a hard-charging, five-star prospect pursued by every coach in the South.

Physically, Michaels is a prototype -- he won the Walter Payton Award at the '09 Army All-American Bowl as "the nation's fastest, strongest and most dedicated high school football player," and teammate Von Miller once referred to him as "like a 210-pound rabbit on steroids with the speed of a cheetah" -- and made good on that promise in his first season, quickly rotating off kick return duty and steadily siphoning carries from sophomore Cyrus Gray as the year wore on. Big 12 coaches were impressed enough to make Michael the league's Offensive Freshman of the Year, a logical prelude to a full-fledged all-conference bid in Year Two.

h<a href=/www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/michael_christine00.html">http://www.aggieathletics...michael_christine00.html">• Best-Case. Despite his speed (and an early penchant for spinning that rubbed coach Mike Sherman the wrong way), Michael is not a "wiggle" guy: He'll work laterally and change direction in the backfield, but he gets upfield fast on hard, decisive cuts at full speed, often at the expense of whatever he can't outrun. You can see this tendency on tape as far back as his junior year in high school and his appearance as an Army All-American, but Texas Tech got the worst of it in every way last October.http://

That was the first of two 100-yard games -- the second came largely courtesy a school-record 97-yard touchdown run against Baylor -- and sparked one of the season's most stunning upsets to salvage a sinking season after three straight losses to open the month. If Michael had a breakout moment, though, it was during his first appearance on the national stage, when he ran over half of Texas' top-ranked run defense on two straight plays for a critical fourth-quarter touchdown on Thanksgiving night:

Michael finished that game with 83 yards on the ground, most of any running back against the Longhorns until Alabama sprung both Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson for 100-plus in the BCS Championship game, and established himself as one of the most violent runners in the Big 12.

Worst-Case. You can't "take away" his two biggest runs, but aside from the aforementioned touchdown sprints against Texas Tech and Baylor, Michael wasn't a big-play threat, generally -- he had only two other runs of at least 20 yards (covering 24 yards against New Mexico and 27 at Colorado) on the season. He was even less dangerous in the passing game, averaging just 4.4 yards on 15 catches with a long of 13 yards and no touchdowns. Once they got him in space, without a head full of steam, defenses found the baby bull much more manageable.

(Moderately) Fun Fact. I was only kidding with the Johnny Cash allusion to Michael's feminine name, but actually, yeah, that's exactly how it went:
Christine Michael, then 12, turned to his mother, Mary, for guidance about his unusual first name for a boy.

"At first, I kind of took it hard," Michael said.

So she turned to an example set by Johnny Cash — the gruff singer — for a little help.

"She told me about a 'Boy Named Sue,'" Michael said Monday of the late Cash's big hit from 40 years ago. "She said I was like that boy named Sue. He didn't care, so I shouldn't care.'"
"My mom wanted her first child to be a girl, and she had my name picked out from Day 1," Michael said, smiling. "She thought it was unique for a boy. Now, whatever anyone wants to call me, I just go along with it."

"Christine" is probably preferable to Von Miller's other suggestion, "Hybrid Mutant."
What to Expect in '10. The Aggies' last five-star freshman sensation who had a breakout game against Texas, Mike Goodson, never made good on his early flashes and flamed out after a pair of disappointing seasons in 2007-08, but Michael seems to have a much better rapport with coaches and shows no sign of leveling off. Quite the opposite: He should emerge as the Aggies' feature back as a sophomore, and though Cyrus Gray is too good (and too versatile) to relegate to the scrap heap, if there's a star among A&M's sudden fertile crop of maturing skill talent, Michael is the guy. Only injury (of which there haven't been any of note so far) or a relative lack of touches among a crowded cast should keep him from challenging Kansas State's Daniel Thomas and Oklahoma's DeMarco Murray as the best back in the conference.

pimp.gif

More Michigan stuff

As always, the running log of updates can be found on the Michigan Football Recruiting Board. The technology is acting wonky, so make sure you log in on that page to see the most recent version.

Headlinin'

AR QB Kiehl Frazier (pictured at right) has an outstanding website on which he claims a Michigan offer. He also reports offers from the likes of Auburn, Florida, Notre Dame, West Virginia, and Texas Tech, to go along with interest from Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Ohio State. Basically what I'm trying to say is this guy will be a heavily, heavily recruited guy. The site also features a highlight video, in which he looks like a Black Righty Tebow. Michigan is often one of the schools he mentions first among his scholarship offers:

"I have 22 offers," Frazier said. "They are coming from everywhere. LSU, Arkansas, Florida, UCLA, Michigan, Nebraska -- there are just too many to try and name.
He says he wants to play in a pro-style offense to prepare him for the next level, but is open to playing in a spread.

A likely-irrelevant note on FL TE Nick O'Leary. The kid's also a star lacrosse player in high school (and it should come as no surprise that I like this). Of course, it's highly unlikely Michigan lands him for a number of reasons. He has options like Ohio State (where his grandfather, Jack Nicklaus, might have played golf or something) for football and national powers like Maryland and Cornell for lacrosse.

AZ OL Andre Yruretagoyena has received an offer to play in the Under Armour All-American Game, further evidence (on top of his recent USC offer) that his recruitment is blowing up. His former teammates Craig Roh and Taylor Lewan both played in the game two years ago.

"If you watch his highlight tape, he is nasty on the field," Chaparral coach Charlie Ragle said. "He dominates. He can run. He's fast and he's nasty."
Michigan has the advantage of a couple former Firebirds on the roster (and for Craig Roh, excelling as a freshman starter).

OH DT Kevin Williams will make his college decision in the first week of May.

"I leave [Monday] for Wisconsin," Williams said. "I'll be there until Wednesday. I'll watch spring practice. I'm thinking about visiting Illinois later this week. I'll either do that or visit Michigan State on Thursday or Friday."
Williams also plans to attend Nebraska's spring game on April 17. "I'll be there for three days," Williams said. "And I might show up at Michigan one more time."

If he takes the bonus visit to Ann Arbor, Michigan would be considered the team to beat. Otherwise, it's a Nebraska-Michigan battle.

MD DT Darian Cooper has received an offer from Michigan, he tells Tom. He also has a friend with Michigan ties, potentially giving the Wolverines a boost. His junior highlight video:

Popout

MI DE Brennen Beyer has long been considered something of a Michigan lean, and Sam Webb gives him double coverage on GBW, talking to his coach:

“He has got a motor that does not quit. He just keeps on coming at you. He has got great arm length. He’s really worked on his explosiveness in the weight room with power cleans and the parallel squat and all the stuff we do in the weight room. Probably his greatest thing is his quickness and his motor.

Maurice Clarett received an early release from prison today after serving 3.5 years of his 7 year sentence. He'll be at a halfway house for the next 6 months, and then he is a free man.

I know a lot of Buckeye fans still hold a lot of anger and resentment towards him, but I'm definitely rooting for him to turn his life around. From everything I've heard/read he's been taking the necessary steps to do just that.
Best of luck to ya, Maurice.
pimp.gif

Miami is certainly talented enough to win the ACC. Whether it actually happens, who knows.

Is Streeter going to play this year?

Ray Ray had 2 interceptions I think.

The backup QBs lit up the secondary something fierce though.

A.J Highsmith for Heisman 2012
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom