LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

They've usually had a pretty balanced offense, I would argue it's tended to be much more run heavy.

Supposedly Gundy is handing complete control of the offense over to Holgorsen, who, I'm sure everybody knows, loves to throw the ball.

Houston's leading rusher last year had less than 140 carries. Keith Toston had around 230. Houston also attempted more than twice as many passes as Oklahoma State did.

If Gundy is indeed handing control of the offense to Holgorsen like he claims, that offense will change.

But at the very least they were ALWAYS balanced... They never went way outta whack either way with run or pass...

I wonder if that changes at all this year... I can't imagine it would with a new QB and no Dez, but who knows.

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

DeAnt Arnett leanin hard towards USC. Cant blame him if he decide to make that move....just hope he knows he prolly wont see the field till at least his Jr year out there, plus the redshirt....Really wanna see him stay home tho, things was falling together for a 3rd straight strong class for MSU.

Still like the direction State is headed tho, lookin healthy up there.
Good luck w/ that.  Depending on how UofM and msu's seasons go I think either one coould come back into play.

Originally Posted by ddot7

I just don't understand why you think it's okay for Lane not to make that call for Fisher, that it was justified because it ultimately helps your recruiting class?

If Pola has interest in the SC job, whether it's through a third party or whatever, and if Kiffen wants to interview him, he is SUPPOSED to make Fisher aware and then conduct an interview, even if it's a mere formality. It's just standard practice and a matter of respect, especially for an established NFL head coach who is an SC alum to boot. He still would've hired Pola, it just would've been done properly instead of creating an ordeal.

Kiffen needs to grow up at some point and this isn't a sign of that happening. Instead he feels he can have everything handed to him and from there, get what else he wants.
I've said numerous times that I don't think it's ok, but that it was a justified and necessary move.  You can do something wrong and still be justified.
You guys kill me, you really think Kiffin is alone in doing this? 
laugh.gif
  This happens ALL THE TIME.  Bruce Feldman actually tweeted about it earlier:

Talked to a college coach about the Titans-Kiffin/USC lawsuit: "I think Lane's a jerk but this lawsuit is ridiculous. Everyone does that."

Fisher/Titans took advantage of a PR opportunity.  Why not jump on the bandwagon when your own fans hate CLK with a passion?

Haters can continue to hate but Lane is doing a hell of a job so far.

yeah he's doing a hell of a job when everybody at the school got fired and reggie bushed was wiped from usc history and the heisman was given back to try to help out with the appeal a little. But here comes lane back into the news for being a ++$#%%% and keeping the new USC image squeaky clean.

Also hunter better watch out for that #1 Texas rushing defense
roll.gif

if you ever get the urge to click that little "[+]" sign to see what bamaboy wrote, do yourself a favor and resist.

July 28, 2010
[h1]Edwards returning to FSU with a prized recruit[/h1]
Lee Gordon
Warchant.com Staff

Related Links:
Edwards already an elite DE prospect2009 TOC Class 3A All-State Team

Talk about it in Premium Recruiting Board

On August 7th, former Seminole defensive back Mario Edwardswill be back on Florida State's campus. It will be one of his firsttrips back to Tallahassee since leaving for the NFL a decade ago. Butthis time, Edwards isn't just coming to reminisce about old times. Hisson, Mario EdwardsJr., is a rising star in the recruiting class of 2012 and the youngerEdwards is coming to FSU to check out where his dad once owned thedefensive backfield at Doak Campbell Stadium.

"To me, I'm elated," said Edwards Sr.. "Seeing everythinghappen all over again, he's going through the same process I wentthrough. The good thing about him is that he had someone going throughit. I had to learn on the go, but he has the opportunity to go throughthe same process.

"This will be his first time going to a college campus besidesduring camp. I've stayed away from visiting schools because I didn'twant him to get too caught up in the hype and the moment. I've beenthere, I know how easy it could be. I want him to stay hungry and keephis eye on the prize."
[table][tr][td]
964103.jpg
[/td][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]AP: AP[/td][/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]The older Edwards played in the NFL for five years.[/td][/tr][/table]At6-foot-3 and 247 pounds, the Ryan high school (TX) star IS the prize.Edwards says his son can play in the 4-3 or the 3-4 and many coacheshave told him that Mario Jr. will be the best high school player inTexas by next season and could be the best defensive end in the nationby the time he graduates.

"He's very athletic, he's a big athletic kid," said Edwards. "I've seenathletic defensive lineman and played with some great guys like (Peter)Boulware, (Reinard) Wilson, and (Andre) Wadsworth, but when I look atMario, he's that type of player. Right now I don't think he realizeshis potential."

Edwards already has heard from all of the Texas and Oklahomaschools, many of whom would like to sign him right now if they could.The Texas defender is also receiving interest from FSU, Florida, andMiami. But it's up to the former 'Nole to keep everything in checkwhile his son works on his craft.

"My job is to keep him not too excited," said Edwards. "I'mexcited for you and the opportunities, but don't get too excited,nothing is concrete until you sign. You have to continue to work andmax out on your potential. I'm not pushing him either way. I'm notpushing him to go to a Texas school or out of state."

Because he's only going to be a junior this season, not manyrecruiting experts know about Mario Edwards. But four months ago duringthe Nike ESPN camp, he won best underclassman at his position. Hisperformance at the camp had many of the Texas schools jumping at theopportunity to meet the soon to be star.

"Once we did that camp, he's started being noticed," said theolder Edwards. "University of Texas--Will Muschamp is the d-coordinatorthere but he was my secondary coach with the Dolphins. He noticed Marioin the drills and Muschamp was telling me how big of a freak he thoughtMario was. To be that size, Muschamp was excited. Dat Nguyen is thelinebackers coach at Texas A&M, he saw some film of Mario and saidwe are high on him right now and we know without a shadow of a doubtthat he will be the best player in Texas by his junior year. I'm notpushing him either way, I'll let Mario make a decision."

So what about Florida State? Edwards says he knew immediatelythat the 'Noles were for him. But what about his son, will he follow inhis footsteps and head to Tallahassee?

"I talked to T-Buck yesterday, I was telling Buck all abouthim. Buck has seen him, we're from the same home town," said Edwards."I'm coming to FSU/Tallahassee on the 7th and I'm brining him to townto take him through the complex and see the facilities; show a brick ortwo that his dad put on the building."

Last season as a sophomore, Edwards lead his team with 69tackles and played mostly in a read defense. He has since transferredfor his junior year to a 4-A school in Denton, Texas. Ironically, hisfather is the defensive backs coach at Ryan high school so the two willbe together for the next two years.

"He' moving from 3-A to 4-A so the type of defense is a 4-2-5so he doesn't have to read anything, like FSU, just go get it. It'll beexciting."
It's official.

I am old.

eek.gif
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

6'3, 247?  %%*% is Sr. feeding him?  Jr. must have been on that NFL strength program out of the womb.

I too am old......
tired.gif

Doesn't make sense that they would go away from the run when they have a new QB and Kendall back there.

I may be wrong, but I don't see why Holgorsen would go away from an offensive playbook that's ranked in the top 6 every year that he's been an OC, just because he has a new QB and an established RB. That makes zero sense to me.

Hell, having a new QB makes bringing in a new system better. It's much better to bring in a new system with a new QB than to make an established, returning QB have to learn a new system. Mike Gundy has been quoted as saying that he felt it was a good time to bring in a new system because of the new QB and new offensive linemen.

Gundy has also acknowledged that it's a new system:
"The system is different than what we've had in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised that the organization was intact in the third or fourth practice of spring," Gundy said Tuesday. "I had prepared myself for it to be a little chaotic.
Oklahoma State is returning just three starters on offense, so Cowboys coach Mike Gundy thought it was an apt time to make a system change.
He hired offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen, who installed one of the nation’s top passing offenses at Houston.
“I felt like the number of players that we could recruit to fit this system was greater than the system that we had competed with in the years before,

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

6'3, 247?  %%*% is Sr. feeding him?  Jr. must have been on that NFL strength program out of the womb.

I too am old......
tired.gif

eek.gif

A defensive back? Dude is a straight monster
pimp.gif

Edit: Nevermind then, dude is still nice though right?

[h2]Bryce Brown leaves as he lived at Tennessee: Without a word[/h2]
By Matt Hinton

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-178867928-1280318522.jpg
Not that many Tennessee fans were still holding out hope for Bryce Brown's return after the former blue-chip recruiting coup abruptly left the team before the start of spring practice. But for those few still holding out hope that Brown's continued presence on campus would lead to a moment of epiphany with a full choir singing hosannas to ol' Rocky Top inside his confused, 19-year-old head, Tuesday was the day the music died. From the Knoxville News Sentinenl:
Running back Bryce Brown has left the University of Tennessee without leaving any closure behind.

"Bryce left town without a face-to-face request (with UT coach Derek Dooley) for a transfer," a school official told the News Sentinel on Tuesday evening. "There's still no news on where he wants to go." [...]

"I said (earlier) that I was open to Bryce coming back on the condition that he wanted to unpack his bags and put his heart into this program," Dooley said. "I fully expect Bryce not to be on our team.

"The reason it has continued on is because Bryce has not come to me, looked me in the eye and said I want a release to so-and-so school. At some point, that's got to happen."

It has to be said that skipping town with only a text message in your wake is a very Bryce Brown thing to do.http:// Whatever was playing in his head, it never seemed to be "Rocky Top." Besides the hype that inevitably comes being the No. 1-ranked prospect in the nation, the story of his recruitment last year was always less about where he wanted to go to school than the sheer weirdness of his personal situation. He is the only five-star recruit from Kansas who went on fasts, delayed his decision until months after signing day despite finishing high school early enough to have been a spring enrollee, and agreed to be fronted by an obese former rapper who at one point considered sending Brown straight to the CFL without going to college at all. (Turns out the money north of the border wasn't good enough.) His arrival in Knoxville last August was accompanied by a recruiting probe that put his eligibility at risk less than a week into practices. And because he had no personal presence whatsoever in the media (other than a press conference to announce his signing with UT, I'm not aware that Brown has given an interview or made a public statement of any variety in the last two years), there is no solid evidence that he ever really wanted to be at Tennessee or anywhere else.

Without anyone explicitly saying so, it's a good bet that Brown never wanted to leave Kansas in the first place. His older brother, Arthur, followed a similar trajectory, shipping out for two unremarkable seasons in Miami before transferring home to Kansas State in March. Bryce is likely to follow that prodigal path, if he can find the initiative and/or nerve to actually secure his release from Tennessee.

At least there's no mistaking the enthusiasm of Tauren Poole, the Vols' new, unquestioned starter at tailback in Brown's absence:

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-839364808-1280318538.jpg

Most observers seemed to think Poole deserved to be the top backup to senior Montario Hardesy last year, but was stuck behind Brown because of a recruiting promise – or at least some kind of vague, egotistical loyalty to "his guys" – by then-coach Lane Kiffin. They're not going to break out the torches and pitchforks or anything, but Vol partisans are probably about as misty over Brown's departure as they were over Kiffin's in January. At this point, just wanting to be in Knoxville counts for an awful lot.

I can't imagine there are too many people that didn't see this coming, but it now sounds like Dan Beebe is backing off of his "$20 million in revenue for TAMU, UT, and OU" claims that he made earlier.

Even more surprising to me is that the TAMU administration is actually showing that they do in fact have a spine.

When it seemed the Big 12 was about to implode this summer, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Colorado made a last-ditch effort to keep Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma by guaranteeing those schools at least $20 million a year in conference revenue, beginning in 2012-13.

The idea was to take money out of the equation as a consideration in conference membership. Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe said Tuesday that Texas and Oklahoma have indicated they don't anticipate needing any contributions.

But Texas A&M had not made that concession, Beebe said. And the Aggies don't sound ready to compromise, based on a statement from A&M president R. Bowen Loftin released late this afternoon.

"A key part of Texas A&M's decision to remain in the Big 12 earlier this summer was the commissioner's commitment that Texas A&M would receive a minimum of $20 million annually in future conference distributions," Loftin's statement read. "We remain committed to the conference, and fully anticipate that the Big 12 will honor its commitment to Texas A&M."

A&M was courted this summer by the Pac-10 and Southeastern Conference and chose to remain in the Big 12, a decision that angered part of the school's fan base. The A&M athletic department has dealt with financial issues recently, including repaying a $16 million loan to the university as well as layoffs.

Tacoi Sumler to Oregon. Nice pickup for the Ducks.

Hopefully that scoliosis doesn't give him any major problems down the line.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Tony Mcneal is incredibly accurate.
yikes.

2012 Tahj Boyd, watch out lol
Yeaaaahhhhhhh.  He was supposedly awesome in camp plus he & Sammy Watkins were connecting the whole time.

Mike Farrell from Rivals initially said McNeal wasn't that impressive (supposedly he didn't play well in the 2nd half of the first game, so who knows if that's what he focused on) but I guess backed off that a little.  It almost seemed like he was justifying McNeal only being a 3 star until everyone else who was there said he stood out throughout the whole tournament.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

if you ever get the urge to click that little "[+]" sign to see what bamaboy wrote, do yourself a favor and resist.

internet net rep +1 for you sir!
if you ever get the urge to be a #%+%%@ and block people online then you should see the sun more. 

Source: QB Masoli headed to Ole Miss

ESPN.com news services

Former Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli is expected to be admitted to one of three graduate programs at the University of Mississippi, which should make him eligible to play as early as this season, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Masoli would have to walk on at Ole Miss as he would not be granted a scholarship, the source said. But Masoli, a good student, would be eligible to possibly receive a reduced tuition cost.

Masoli is expected to make a formal visit to Ole Miss as soon as this weekend, the source said.

Masoli had expressed late interest in programs like Kansas State and West Virginia, two other sources told Schad.

According to The Clarion-Ledger, school officials, including coach Houston Nutt and athletic director Pete Boone, met Tuesday to discuss Masoli's troubled background, which led to his dismissal from the Oregon team in June.

Ole Miss assistant athletic director for compliance David Wells told The Clarion-Ledger that the university would have to ask the NCAA to waive a one-year residency requirement, which can be granted if the athlete enrolls in a graduate program that is not offered at Oregon.

A week ago Nutt said the Rebels had no interest in pursuing Masoli, who was kicked off Oregon's team after two run-ins with the law, including a second-degree burglary charge.

That stance may have changed after backup Raymond Cotton left the team this past Saturday. The Rebels are down to just two scholarship quarterbacks after Cotton was granted his release and plans to transfer after apparently convincing himself that he wasn't going to get much of a chance to play behind Nathan Stanley.

Nutt has been down this road before. He took a chance on former Florida safety Jamar Hornsby last year, and it blew up in the Rebels' faces.

Hornsby was booted from the Gators' team after being charged with the fraudulent use of a dead Florida student's credit card. She was killed in a motorcycle accident and just happened to be the girlfriend of Hornsby's then-teammate, Joe Haden.

The Rebels took a chance and signed the troubled Hornsby after a stopover at junior college, and he was in trouble again not even a month later. He was indicted on a felony assault charge, and Nutt had no choice but to dismiss him from the team.

In Nutt's defense, he's not the first coach, nor will he be the last coach, to take a chance on a talented player with a troubled past.

But to do it two years in a row is tempting fate.

Nutt has to have another quarterback. The Rebels' backup right now is junior college transfer Randall Mackey, who wasn't in Oxford for spring practice and was probably going to factor in as a specialty player this season.

An injury to Stanley could be disastrous, which is why Nutt is exploring every avenue.

Back
Top Bottom