Lovecraft Country | Cancelled By HBO

This show had an enormous budget and it probably underperformed in relation to its budget. That’s likely the official reason.

Personally, I think the network used the show to capitalize on the tension in the country when it aired, and they no longer want to go that route.

People also don't care much to invest in longterm stories anymore. A lot of shows 2nd season declines in viewership whether they're better than the 1st or not. So yeah, if u really rock w/ a show or movie u should go outta your way to be vocal about it for the sake of it's lasting life. Especially the expensive stuff. Daredevil getting cancelled still hurts :smh:

Can't say I'm surprised.

It's a high effort show, and I wonder if it got the viewers. It's a black fantasy show that isn't a comedy on top of dealing with race.

It didn't get cancelled because of low veiwership.

"Deadline noted that after the series premiered in August of 2020, it set the record for the most-watched new episode of an original series on HBO Max."

"The show had ratings similar to the audience for Watchmen a year ago. It also was in line with other HBO dramas including The Outsider (9 million) and Perry Mason. Of those, HBO renewed Perry Mason for a second season (with new showrunners) and passed on bringing back The Outsider — another limited series — for another round despite its ratings and critical success."

HBO cancelled for lack of source material (author only made 1 book and that was mostly covered in S1).

It didn't get cancelled because of low veiwership.

"Deadline noted that after the series premiered in August of 2020, it set the record for the most-watched new episode of an original series on HBO Max."

"The show had ratings similar to the audience for Watchmen a year ago. It also was in line with other HBO dramas including The Outsider (9 million) and Perry Mason. Of those, HBO renewed Perry Mason for a second season (with new showrunners) and passed on bringing back The Outsider — another limited series — for another round despite its ratings and critical success."

HBO cancelled for lack of source material (author only made 1 book and that was mostly covered in S1).

after game of thrones I’d get this reasoning from HBO

Source material didn’t stop HBO before. The money it costs to make and the money it generates. That’s the killer.

word. You put avengers endgame budget into every episode, you gotta get endgame returns. Can’t keep that up forever.

also, I know the reasons were COMPLETELY different, but it’s interesting that Watchmen only got 1 season as well. With it being a similar subject of race/fantasy/sci-fi big budget.

word. You put avengers endgame budget into every episode, you gotta get endgame returns. Can’t keep that up forever.

also, I know the reasons were COMPLETELY different, but it’s interesting that Watchmen only got 1 season as well. With it being a similar subject of race/fantasy/sci-fi big budget.

With lindelof being involved I’m glad we got what we got and didn’t risk ruining that

Even Marvel isn't getting that with the amount they put in their Disney+ shows and they know it.

Sometimes you put the money in expecting a different return.

That's basically what HBO did for years with a few shows. Now they've basically lost their dedication as the culture shifts over there ever since they got new bosses.

Shame. And with a budget like that it sounds like it's too expensive for another network to even think about picking it up.

I expected it to be this, so I'm not as surprised/upset despite wanting more. Sometimes the one season is enough, and maybe if the story got expanded it would lose some luster. I feel the same about Watchmen.

Back
Top Bottom