Macbooks

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by Sneekaz

macs are way behind in its technology. 
you can make that argument during their core 2 duo days but what basis do you have for this claim?

in terms of gpu, screen resolution, and memory yes. they seem to fit only the best mid range gpu and the maximum memory they have is 8gb. certain dells and sagers can easily fit more than 16 gb at the moment. 15" macbooks still dont have full hd yet? then again how much can you stuff in a < 1 inch thick frame. i guess my laptop expectations are too high since i prefer sager

the mac osx is something else though
checkout notebook check and notebook review for the comparisons.

Originally Posted by Coolidge Effect

the only reason why i buy mac

NO VIRUSES.

save your arguments. NOthing beats that.
thats not true. macs can get viruses but it is very unlikely. why? cause macs make up like 10% of the computers around the world. thats like 1 in 10 people owning a mac. more people have windows. its more popular so hackers are gonna target windows more

70% of my life is on my mac ...

it is the single most important item that i own ...

w/ that being said ... it's overpriced ... outdated tech that is marked up b/c of the name and aesthetics ...

i love my mac but if i didn't get the substantial discount that i did ... i would not own it ...
i have a 15" 2010 mbp 2.4 ghz i5 core 

originally came with 320 gb hd 

4 gb ram 

let's be serious, there is nothing pro about those specs  ... it's sleek, osx is
pimp.gif
so i'm good w/ it ...  

if u cant figure out the mac os, i feel sorry for you.

yes u can spend your own time researching and building a custom car for cheaper than an out of the box model, but that doesnt just apply to apple, u can say that to alienware or sony vaios too. but not everyone can or wants to 'build their own pc'. i used to build my own a long time ago but honestly, you save a few hundred bucks for some benchmarks 99% of the world wont take advantage of.

and besides the simple and ease of use of macs reputations, of course alot of it is due to 'branding' or what is considered 'hype. but thats not just computers, its life. same reason people would rather pony up (if they can afford it) a luxury brand like bmw over a hyundai, even if say a genesis has better overall value than a competitor. most people want easy, all in one solutions with brand recognition over spec %*%@$# or modders needs. like those who get some imports and mod em up to become nice cars, but yo its still what it is. and since we're talkin about computers, if u just want somethin easy, id be much more comfortable telling someone to get a mac than say a hp or dell, which will most likely die after a year or two. but honestly, its not apple hype, they've had the same philosophy since the first mac. they've never been hacker/modder friendly, they make it as difficult as possible to modify any internals. it was like that with the first one 30 years ago, and mostly remains true today (except mac pros). hardware and software together. its the reason they didnt 'win' the os wars because they refused to license out their software because of their believe that the os and hardware should be integrated together, not separate broken experiences.

Originally Posted by TroyD

well i bet the people that spent all that money on a macbook havent spent it on a pc. if you spent that amount of money on a pc then it would be a powerful machine. i paid less than $1000 for my custom built pc. and its pretty much on or above a macbook pro. if youre thinking about buying a mac, and investing that much money in a laptop, then look on some other pc websites and build your own.

like BrotherForReal said, people are falling for the hype. remember when few people owned macs? now more and more people have them. one of my boys has one and he doesnt like it that much. he isnt tech savvy at all and he said the UI was weird as hell for him. and arent macs supposed to be simple to use? im not bashing mac or apple, as i have an iphone, os x lion has some good features such as the gestures but i can say that im happy i built my own powerful pc for less then half the price of a macbook
$1000+ on an HP, crapped out in less than a year. another $1000+ on a vaio, could not stand the tests of time.
never again.  If i could do it again, $1000 on a mbp, and $1000 building a desktop 
pimp.gif

Whats the deal about the air not having a ethernet port? Like how would that effect me? Would I not be able to use my internet or something? ( I would be using the net from my house computer). Also is the battery really not replaceable or can you only replace it with apple? And how much would it cost to replace it?

Could someone school me on Apple's Apple Care Protection Plan?..

I'm looking for a protection plan on my MacBook Air, just checked the price and it's $249 for 3 Years.
Any NTers on this plan or recommend this?..
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ALDY

Could someone school me on Apple's Apple Care Protection Plan?..

I'm looking for a protection plan on my MacBook Air, just checked the price and it's $249 for 3 Years.
Any NTers on this plan or recommend this?..
nerd.gif
in case your case gets cracked, or monitor, or anything, you may want it just for insurance. most likely if you're good at taking care of your stuff, you wont need it. but 'accidents' do happen.
you're covered for 1 yr thru apple. also check with your credit card company, they may cover an extra year if you use it too.

Originally Posted by Tom Robinson

Whats the deal about the air not having a ethernet port? Like how would that effect me? Would I not be able to use my internet or something? ( I would be using the net from my house computer). Also is the battery really not replaceable or can you only replace it with apple? And how much would it cost to replace it?
Not sure about the battery but the ethernet port is definitely not a major issue for the vast majority of users, who use wireless internet. An ethernet port connects you directly to the internet via wire, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a portable laptop computer rather than a desktop. It's good to have an ethernet port in case your wireless router craps out at home one night or something, but usually it's not necessary. 

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Originally Posted by TroyD

well i bet the people that spent all that money on a macbook havent spent it on a pc. if you spent that amount of money on a pc then it would be a powerful machine. i paid less than $1000 for my custom built pc. and its pretty much on or above a macbook pro. if youre thinking about buying a mac, and investing that much money in a laptop, then look on some other pc websites and build your own.

like BrotherForReal said, people are falling for the hype. remember when few people owned macs? now more and more people have them. one of my boys has one and he doesnt like it that much. he isnt tech savvy at all and he said the UI was weird as hell for him. and arent macs supposed to be simple to use? im not bashing mac or apple, as i have an iphone, os x lion has some good features such as the gestures but i can say that im happy i built my own powerful pc for less then half the price of a macbook
$1000+ on an HP, crapped out in less than a year. another $1000+ on a vaio, could not stand the tests of time.
never again.  If i could do it again, $1000 on a mbp, and $1000 building a desktop 
pimp.gif
When you are spending that much, you should have gone with apple.  The only reason why I stay with a PC is because they are cheap and I like windows.  So far I have had no problems.

But I've been using a Mac lately, and I like the software a lot + windows 8 looks weird so I will start making the switch with an Air.

The build quality alone of an apple laptop is a good enough reason alone to choose an apple laptop vs pc. The only pc laptop I can recommend would be an asus but apple's service and U.I / U.X is also another selling point.

Now for desktop machines I would always recommend that it be built than bought from an oem. That way you can choose the hardware and you can choose your operating system of choice, windows or hackintosh (aslong as the drivers are compatible).

i think it's worth it. my dell xps recently went out, and of course i was out of warranty. so i went ahead and purchased the MBP and have no complains about it at all

How hard is is to make a hackintosh? Kinda wanna mess around with my netbook or old Dell (07 XPS) while I wait for the new jawns to drop.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

How hard is is to make a hackintosh? Kinda wanna mess around with my netbook or old Dell (07 XPS) while I wait for the new jawns to drop.

Was about to ask the same question.

I heard the new macbook pros are gonna support 4k and have solid state standard? For real???
eek.gif

Originally Posted by presequel

if u cant figure out the mac os, i feel sorry for you.

yes u can spend your own time researching and building a custom car for cheaper than an out of the box model, but that doesnt just apply to apple, u can say that to alienware or sony vaios too. but not everyone can or wants to 'build their own pc'. i used to build my own a long time ago but honestly, you save a few hundred bucks for some benchmarks 99% of the world wont take advantage of.

and besides the simple and ease of use of macs reputations, of course alot of it is due to 'branding' or what is considered 'hype. but thats not just computers, its life. same reason people would rather pony up (if they can afford it) a luxury brand like bmw over a hyundai, even if say a genesis has better overall value than a competitor. most people want easy, all in one solutions with brand recognition over spec !+!%#$ or modders needs. like those who get some imports and mod em up to become nice cars, but yo its still what it is. and since we're talkin about computers, if u just want somethin easy, id be much more comfortable telling someone to get a mac than say a hp or dell, which will most likely die after a year or two. but honestly, its not apple hype, they've had the same philosophy since the first mac. they've never been hacker/modder friendly, they make it as difficult as possible to modify any internals. it was like that with the first one 30 years ago, and mostly remains true today (except mac pros). hardware and software together. its the reason they didnt 'win' the os wars because they refused to license out their software because of their believe that the os and hardware should be integrated together, not separate broken experiences.

macs are just different machines overall. 99% of the world still use win for day to day business that is until Apple dominates the market share. if you know how to take care of a pc then they will never, yes never be prone to much of the malicious content that other users become susceptible to hard or soft. also many developers seem to create more for the win environment since its more profitable since its widely used. In truth though even if there were no professional benchmarks that no one uses for either platform and we were just strictly comparing the raw performance power by using everyday software of the apple hardware vs the
pc hardware, its a no brainer. pc crushes apple with solid numbers and it would matter based upon certain software. Say for example is someone uses graphics/3d software like autocad (which alot of pros and amateurs use every now and then) on a laptop, the choice is clear they would have to go with a windows one. Say for example someone uses music development/video editing software both pros/amateurs, then they probably prefer the ease, use and clarity of the macbook pro. So i think it just depends upon the type of software one is using, and in my case unless my job requires it, I wouldnt need to spend the money on apple hardware and software simply because i think the windows platform is more versatile, more generic, more profitable, more powerful, more options, overall more inexpensive. Yea, I still think apple is much more sleeker and "cool"

Oh and another point i like to mention is that PCs are more upgradeable in the future vs Macs. talk about a worthwhile investment.

Originally Posted by Sneekaz

Originally Posted by presequel

Oh and another point i like to mention is that PCs are more upgradeable in the future vs Macs. talk about a worthwhile investment.
this is interesting because the biggest reason why im inclined to invest in a mac is b/c of their resale value. I know I wont have a problem selling macbook 2-4 years down the line and using that money towards a new one. So in that sense, u can say that macs are more upgradable.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom