Making a living at home. Ebay, craigslist,etc..

Does anyone make a living at home by selling on ebay, craigslist or some other means? Any power sellers or such?

Any success stories out there? what do you sell?

I sell kicks and polo gear copped at thrift stores (on eBay) as a hobby. Grossed 25k this year, but that will probably translate to 5-10k net.

EDIT: also, I just got my 'Power Seller' stamp on eBay

Last edited:
^

How do you lose that much? Gas, fees, time, etc?

Kinda interested in how you do that. How do you decide what to cop and what not to cop?

^

How do you lose that much? Gas, fees, time, etc?

Kinda interested in how you do that. How do you decide what to cop and what not to cop?

I wouldn't say I 'lose' that cash, it's more just the cost of goods and the time I go through in listing/shipping/fees.

In general, I just have a really bad spending habit (I always just buy what I see). I've figured out how to make it not so bad by flipping the stuff I rarely wear and flipping stuff that I otherwise wouldn't bother with if I weren't just out to consume. I grew up in a trailer park in California and my mom used to take me to all the thrift stores when I was younger so I've always been into the culture and have always been on the hunt. I've taken it a step further, though, with heavy discounts at legit department stores and stuff...so...

A good example of what I do it for...
- I bought 2 brand new RL Polo Epson vests about 3 months ago at a discount store for $60 each + tax. Both size XL (I'm more of a L). They retail for $225/each. I never saw the vests before but I thought they were awesome and was really bummed they didn't have my size.
- I put each up on ebay for $150 + shipping
- I bought a size L on ebay for $140 for me to wear
- I sold each of the XL vests over the period of about two months.
Basically, my cost of goods was $130, I sold both for around $270 (after fees) so technically I 'MADE' $140 but in reality I spent that profit on the vest for myself. All I really did was get a free vest for a couple hours of work. I still call that cost of goods sold. That's what I'd consider a $0 profit. But I know when I get sick of the vest (probably after only 10-12 wears), I'll sell it on ebay and count whatever I get off it as profit.

How do I decide what to buy? I buy things that I'm pretty confident I can walk away with a profit of at least $50. I will occasionally pick something up that I think is just too dope and think some of my customers would just appreciate having for only a little bit more than I copped for. I've been selling items on ebay for over 12 years now, so I've got it down to where I'm not really 'spending' money nor 'making' anything substantial. All I am really doing is feeding the beast.

I know some folks. They cover all bases, ranging from yard sales and flee markets, to estate sales and private auctions as well as online hunting.

One of my best friends does it with electronics.

I don't think you can make a "living" off of it.

And your gonna need a pretty nice lump of money to even get started.

Slickdeals.net is a great stating point if you have cash or credit to cop on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom