Man contributes to workplace lottery pool for 8 years then goes on vacation...

Originally Posted by SheryarYO

i dunno...let's say they didn't win and then dude came back to work and started playing again...would he be paying them back for all the time he hadn't paid for due to not being there? i'm sure after 8 years of playing with him, they'd be able to answer that question. depending on the answer, i'd either pay him or i wouldn't.

You know you just basically reworded what I just said. 
laugh.gif

if he was out one or two weeks yeah they would be sheisty for not covering. but 3 months? sorry bro, cruel story.

If I win 2.2 million dollars after taxes, I'd give 100,000 to my coworker who put money down for 8 years. Like a poster said, if everybody does that he'd get his share, everyone wins.

The only way I can think this doesn't happen is because the man either doesn't have any friends in that office, or they're just a bunch of greedy people, period.

this is just a case of sympathy. if his homie feels it he will help him. and if he does not . hes GONE and he will lose in court. and your lame for doing the ohio like that stop reaching. its corny

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Originally Posted by Definition Of Dopeness

Everybody @ the job talkin' about retiring...and he sitting @ his desk mad as %%**.

15mfku1.gif
roll.gif

That has to suck soooooooo bad man

No way.. he going to win the court case..

Since they took the "cash option" they only got 2 million each after taxes not 4.5 million.

By: Associated Press
JEFFERSON, Ohio - A lucky group of co-workers from KraftMaid will share last week's $99 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot.

The Ohio Lottery says most of the 22 are workers from a cabinet making company in Jefferson, midway between Cleveland and Youngstown. They came forward Monday to get their prize.

Each will get about $2 million after taxes.
The lottery says most of the winners work together in logistics and customer service at KraftMaid. The lottery says they've been playing for several years.

They bought the winning ticket at a Speedway in Jefferson, about 10 miles from the Pennsylvania border.

Source:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/co-workers-from-kraftmaid-share-big-jackpot

This is how lottery jackpot payouts are calculated for the "cash option"
1. Estimated jackpot is immediately cut in half. (The amount of actual cash built up in the pot. Thus the name "cash option")
2. 25% is taken for federal taxes
3. State taxes are taken out.

For example a 100 million dollar jackpot in TN(for a single winner) would look like this:
100/2 =50 - 25% federal taxes(50-12.5)= 37.5 - state taxes(TN state tax is 0)= 37.5 million
Not to mention, any money you owe to the government( back taxes, school loans, property taxes, etc..) will be taken out before you recieve your money.

With that being said, dude does not deserve 2 mill. Maybe a mill at the most.
I can understand they had a policy of covering for players that were missing, but if that is the case, he should have made sure he was being covered by his co workers.

If I play my numbers for 8 years, then miss 1 drawing in which my numbers hit, I cant go to the lottery office and say" Ive been playing my numbers for 8 years,
I should get the jackpot" It doesnt work that way.

See how money ruins relationships? Morally they should give him some but 3 months is a long time to not contribute

i dunno...let's say they didn't win and then dude came back to work and started playing again...would he be paying them back for all the time he hadn't paid for due to not being there? i'm sure after 8 years of playing with him, they'd be able to answer that question. depending on the answer, i'd either pay him or i wouldn't.

See the point is loyalty. Dude was loyal to the pool for 8 years. 8 full years then he had a back injury so he couldnt play. Maybe he didnt have money because he had to pay for doctor bills or what not

But the point is that the dude been loyal for 8 years.

This is the reason why I dont have friends. Nobody is loyal and honest these days. Treat everybody the way you would want.

Anyway based on fact he been loyal for 8 years morally they should give him something

Originally Posted by amel223

If I win 2.2 million dollars after taxes, I'd give 100,000 to my coworker who put money down for 8 years. Like a poster said, if everybody does that he'd get his share, everyone wins.

The only way I can think this doesn't happen is because the man either doesn't have any friends in that office, or they're just a bunch of greedy people, period.
Exactly that s what i said. Heck dude been loyal for 8 years. Everyone throw him 100k and write it off on their taxes and they win.

Heck they can make that 100k back within 1 month easily with their eyes closed. Greedy people with no heart

Originally Posted by All Ready

that has to hurt

they don't owe him anything tho

i'd buy him a car for his troubles, that about it
Yeah, he was one of them.  I'd offer to give him a house, car, and a vacation to where he wants.

Originally Posted by KingSuperbIV

See the point is loyalty. Dude was loyal to the pool for 8 years. 8 full years then he had a back injury so he couldnt play. Maybe he didnt have money because he had to pay for doctor bills or what not

This is the reason why I dont have friends. Nobody is loyal and honest these days. Treat everybody the way you would want.

Anyway based on fact he been loyal for 8 years morally they should give him something
/Thread

you could at least throw the man a mill or 2 so he could kick back and relax. Everybody only has to put in a 50-100k. They gettin like 4 mill each! Now everybody is gonna lose cuz they have to pay lawyer fees and still have to pay homie his slice. They on that Gordon Gecko Greed

Originally Posted by KingSuperbIV

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes, the others do have reason and justification to not give him anything, but seriously? You're not going to give him even a small share because he was injured while you won? Call me soft or whatever, I would have given him some money if I was in that position.

It just shows how money will expose who you really are... even if he didn't deserve it he was part of the team and I'm sure a friend to some. Held it down for 8 years, hit a spot of bad luck then the others just left him behind? People really are selfish and greedy these days
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by oidreez

See how money ruins relationships? Morally they should give him some but 3 months is a long time to not contribute

How are they morally obligated? If that's the case they could argue that he was in the wrong for not contributing towards purchasing the ticket while waiting to swoop in if/when they won.
grin.gif

If you take emotions out of the equation it's a pretty clear-cut decision, imo.

Give him some money and get this over with. Cause in the meantime, you can't do %+** with your money, you got to keep some on the side "just in case" he wins. Might as well give him some and end this whole story now

Like someone said earlier a good question is do yall think that once he came back, would he have paid up for thoes three monthes he missed if they didnt win?

And yall are trying to make it seem like the coworkers are being supergreedy, when he could have easily paid ahead or made a simple phone call....

At the end of the day those coworkers know him alot better then we do

Just think about the odds though. Dudes not thinking about no lotto pool after having back surgery. Maybe they too felt they shouldnt bother him with an event so unlikely to occur. Everyone probably felt that he would just come back, pay his backed up lotto fees in some way. Maybe it's slowly over the next 3 months... These people have been going through the motions for at least a decade.. There's probably a million companies out there doing the same thing with the same type of sad employees hoping for that moment to hit.. They are all probably guilty of being somewhat lazy. You go through those motions/ "Don't worry about it Bob. We'll get you back in when you get back.." Never actually thinking that they will hit. Everyone has gone through those emotions.

Maybe I'd be a bad lottery winner or jackpot winner, but why me? Why not the lady sitting next to me as I hit that $5,000 dollar jackpot... I remember winning $600, tipping the cashier/floor clerk $20, and giving a random lady next to me, as she cheer me on, $20.. Why am I entitled to that money and not them? It's not like I some how deserve it compared to them.. Why 22 of us, and not the other 5 people who would randomly play off and on for the past couple of years. I guess that's that moment where people can start taking advantage of you

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Just think about the odds though. Dudes not thinking about no lotto pool after having back surgery. Maybe they too felt they shouldnt bother him with an event so unlikely to occur. Everyone probably felt that he would just come back, pay his backed up lotto fees in some way. Maybe it's slowly over the next 3 months... These people have been going through the motions for at least a decade.. There's probably a million companies out there doing the same thing with the same type of sad employees hoping for that moment to hit.. They are all probably guilty of being somewhat lazy. You go through those motions/ "Don't worry about it Bob. We'll get you back in when you get back.." Never actually thinking that they will hit. Everyone has gone through those emotions.

Maybe I'd be a bad lottery winner or jackpot winner, but why me? Why not the lady sitting next to me as I hit that $5,000 dollar jackpot... I remember winning $600, tipping the cashier/floor clerk $20, and giving a random lady next to me, as she cheer me on, $20.. Why am I entitled to that money and not them? It's not like I some how deserve it compared to them.. Why 22 of us, and not the other 5 people who would randomly play off and on for the past couple of years. I guess that's that moment where people can start taking advantage of you
Exactly.  I don't understand the notion that the winners deserve it more than him because they happened to be healthy and working when the lotto hit.  Legally, he may not be entitled to anything but he put money down for 8 years.  Don't think about the 60 bucks he missed when he was hurt, but about the dang near 6k he put in over the past 8 years (if I did my math right
laugh.gif
).

If that don't count for nothing in their book then either he has messed up coworkers or maybe he's just a @*+$%%! with no friends
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Jehul

Originally Posted by oidreez

How are they morally obligated? If that's the case they could argue that he was in the wrong for not contributing towards purchasing the ticket while waiting to swoop in if/when they won.
grin.gif

If you take emotions out of the equation it's a pretty clear-cut decision, imo.

dude was out on back surgery though. if he had taken a vacation i would understand but that's not the case.

Back
Top Bottom