Man shot and killed over a parking space in Florida VOL....STAND YOUR GROUND?

It seems like an obviously unnecessary escalation: An argument about a convenience store parking space turned into deadly violence. Michael Drejka, after being shoved to the ground, shot and killed Markeis McGlockton, who had pushed Drejka but started to back off.
But Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said the authorities will not charge Drejka for the shooting, citing the state’s “stand your ground” law.

Based on surveillance video and reports of the encounter, McGlockton and his 5-year-old son were in the Circle A Food Store in Clearwater, Florida, on Thursday when Drejka approached their car, which was parked in a handicap space. McGlockton’s partner, Britany Jacobs, was in the car with the couple’s other kids. Drejka and Jacobs began arguing over whether McGlockton and Jacobs were allowed to park there.

McGlockton then came out of the convenience store and pushed Drejka to the ground. As McGlockton began to back away, Drejka pulled out a gun and shot McGlockton in the chest. McGlockton then ran into the convenience store. He was taken to the hospital, but he was pronounced dead.

Florida’s “stand your ground” statute, in short, gives a person the right to use deadly force “if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony,” all without a “duty to retreat.”

The sheriff explained that while McGlockton’s back-off after the shove gave him “pause,” ultimately Drejka said he was worried that he would be struck again. At a press conference, Sheriff Gualtieri emphasized that this wasn’t a small push: “This wasn’t a shove, this wasn’t just a tap. He slammed him to the ground.”

Drejka had a legal concealed carry permit, according to the sheriff.

Drejka also reportedly has a history of confronting people over handicap spaces, allegedly threatening to shoot a trucker in the past over the issue. But the sheriff said that, legally, Drejka’s history isn’t relevant to the Thursday shooting.
The State Attorney's Office is expected to review the case and make the final decision on whether it falls within the claim of self-defense — under a law that first gained prominence in the 2012 shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin. State prosecutors could not immediately be reached for comment Monday.

Surveillance video taken from the Circle A convenience store in Clearwater last Thursday showed Markeis McGlockton, his girlfriend Britany Jacobs and their three young children pulling into a handicapped spot. McGlockton ran into the store with their 5-year-old son.

A man in a light-colored hat — later identified as Michael Drejka, 47 — went up to the car, and he and Jacobs got into a spat.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said at a news conference Friday that the two were arguing over whether Jacobs could be in that parking space.

As Jacobs stepped out of the car, McGlockton came out of the store and shoved Drejka to the ground. In response, Drejka pulled a gun out of his pocket.

180723-stand-your-ground-girlfriend-mn-0930_7e4ee662d1469f32eac39fe61062b414.fit-760w.jpg

Britany Jacobs speaks with a reporter following a vigil for Markeis McGlockton.WFLA
Drejka could be seen firing at McGlockton as the young father stepped away. McGlockton was wounded in the chest, and ran back into the store, where surveillance footage from inside showed him falling to the ground in front of his son.

McGlockton later died at the hospital.
180723-markeis-mcglockton-mn-1540_6d09fae7505c15e2aa31fa0ca091dcf1.fit-560w.jpg

Last edited:
Once again... White people think they are born with a police badge and the right to be vigilantes. But only on blacks with no protection. We should really test the stand your ground law. Form vigilante groups all over the state of Florida harassing whites for parking, loitering, littering, shoplifting, public drunkenness at parks and the beach, just anything .. When they buck up just exercise your rights.

The killer tried to shot another Black man a month prior to this in that same parking lot.

Not really over the parking spot, he just wanted to use his gun and get away with murder because he knew that stupid law would justify the killing.

Instigating a fight and then pulling a gun shouldn't be covered by that law. If you're so fearful for your life you wouldn't be starting fights with random people.

In for, "If you just parked in a normal spot, you wouldn't have seen your man killed." ...

This guy should go to jail for the rest of his life ... That being said, ole girl gets out of the car when she sees her man coming ... The perp has a very simple case - I was asking the lady why she was in a handicapped spot, when I saw a man coming towards me ... at that moment, the lady stepped out of the vehicle and I thought I was about to be attacked ... The next thing I remember is a force to the side of my body and a man screaming at me saying I'm going to F you up ... Given those facts, I feared for my life and defended my person ...

Unfortunately, the chargeable assault that started the entire situation was the man shoving the perp ...

Drejka was just looking for a reason...

Put yourself in McGlockton's shoes...you see someone arguing w/ your spouse, your'e gonna be seeing red....ESPECIALLY if you don't know the context.

Ok, so dude shouldn't have been parked in a handicapped spot...I get it. However, if it's not something that impacts you directly but it bothers you that much, call the police and let them deal with it. Why play hallway monitor?

Drejka was just looking for a reason...

Put yourself in McGlockton's shoes...you see someone arguing w/ your spouse, your'e gonna be seeing red....ESPECIALLY if you don't know the context.

Ok, so dude shouldn't have been parked in a handicapped spot...I get it. However, if it's not something that impacts you directly but it bothers you that much, call the police and let them deal with it. Why play hallway monitor?

Exactly. Stand your ground should be void here because Drejka instigated the whole thing, but we'll see....

Wasn't Zimmerman a known wacko and he also happened to follow treyvon, instigating the confrontation. Sadly I see Florida taking another L.

Black and white has nothing to do with it. Instead, we have 3 people who consistently made bad decisions.

1) They shouldn't have parked in the handicap space. (It is not a justified reason to take a life but it was the catalyst.)
2) The shooter needed to mind his own business. (He is not a cop.)
3) She should've stayed in the car. (#1, she is pregnant and #2, getting out of the car escalated the situation.)
4) The victim shouldn't have put his hands on the shooter. (He could've tried to calm the situation down with words but he chose to get physical.)
5) The shooter did not have to shoot. (Getting pushed to the ground doesn't justify shooting someone.)

Thats why in Florida you would be crazy out here not to be packing when the laws are written in your favor to shoot.

Reason why I don't go around putting hands on people first in this state if they pissed me off with some words.

Just never know if someone is packing and as soon as they receive bodily harm the law states you can shoot.

But I do agree on not going around and starting stuff knowing you packing so you can shoot there has to be a fix for that.

Another reason why in this state its best to walk away or let them put hands on you first. People that don't really know how loose these gun laws are down here can end up getting shot over something silly.

Don't put hands on people in FL or TX until these laws are fixed.

Last edited:
Black and white has nothing to do with it. Instead, we have 3 people who consistently made bad decisions.

1) They shouldn't have parked in the handicap space. (It is not a justified reason to take a life but it was the catalyst.)
3) She should've stayed in the car. (#1, she is pregnant and #2, getting out of the car escalated the situation.)
4) The victim shouldn't have put his hands on the shooter. (He could've tried to calm the situation down with words but he chose to get physical.)
5) The shooter did not have to shoot. (Getting pushed to the ground doesn't justify shooting someone.)

I agree with a lot of this besides #5 that is where the area starts getting gray how bout not put hands on anyone unless they touch you first?

Bodily harm can be a simple as a push that could lead to you getting seriously hurt like tripping over something and hitting your head on the concrete now you in the hospital for a concussion.

6) The shooter probably won't be prosecuted because he's white. If the roles were reversed and the shooter was the black man, I'm 99% sure he'd be charged and convicted.

That's why black and white has everything to do with it.

The stand your ground law gives folks the green light to shoot at their own discretion. Doesn't take much to prove that you "feared for your life."

Treyvon Martin was all you needed to know in this state about gun laws if you aint learn from that :smh:

RIP TM

6) The shooter probably won't be prosecuted because he's white. If the roles were reversed and the shooter was the black man, I'm 99% sure he'd be charged and convicted.

That's why black and white has everything to do with it.

idk bruh. I don't think race has nothing to do with it.

This is about being educated by the laws in your state is the best thing you can do for yourself.

I can't speak for Michigan and im not going to not debate black people get way more harsher sentences than white people for the same crimes I know this already.

But in florida everyone thought AZ was white before it came out he wasn't.

Florida is a different breed when it comes to guns our politicians and lawyers push for easier stand your ground cases.

I posted a video on here a long time ago about when florida made these cases easier to beat and it ended with expect to see more stand your ground cases and get hip to the gun laws.

Wish i could find that video now.

Back
Top Bottom