Marbury's Days In New York Numbered? Update: Leaves the team?

I'd disown my team if they traded for Stephon Marbury.

My thoughts about Marbury are on par with ZoDogg. I don't know why Knicks fans constantly give Marbury the benefit of the doubt. Great, he's from NY.Great, you knew him growing up. But if the RealGM report is accurate, look at what kind of man Marbury has become. Look at how desperate he is to be wanted.

Originally Posted by MeloVP

Guess it's time for that youthier PG.

Mardy?

youthier?
wth?

smh.gif

i said it in the knicks' season thread.

steph is the heart of the team.

Things going from bad to worse...from Rotoworld.com:

Stephon Marbury was quoted this morning in the New York Daily News as saying, "Isiah has to start me. I've got so much (stuff) on Isiah and he knows it. He thinks he can (get) me. But I'll (get) him first. You have no idea what I know." Wow. The Knicks are a sure bet for Page Six. After comments like this never expect to see Marbury on the court with the Knicks again or until Thomas is fired. Hold onto him in fantasy leagues until he finds a new home. More to come for sure.

So Steph is the heart of a 33 win team???

What exactly is that doing for us?

I think the guys can live without him

Can we just play basketball?, thats all i want....whatever happened to the basketball?

steph is the heart of the team.
nah, that is what jamal has been for us the last couple of years.

If steph goes to the cavs I will be happy, however as a knicks fan I'm totally disgusted with how this whole situation was handled. It seems like the nykorganization is cursed as soon as something starts to go well for us, something derails the success

To the ppl saying steph isn't the heart of the team stop being simps and realize he was the only one carrying us, jamal isn't a floor leader hell Iwould say lee has more leadership abilty than crawford. Steph in the backbone of the team. It seem like everywhere isiah goes he ruins the organization,toronto , indiana, CBA get this dude out of here already, we are heading no where fast this season and its frustrating to see my team and city be ridiculed allthe time when the talent is there but the coaching and management isn't on their job
smh.gif

Jamal is the heart, J. Steph being the "leader" should've figured out by now how to replicate Jamal's floor vision, esp where Curry'sinvolved. we get Zach back, we'll be a problem. hell, let nate/mardy run point.

these _s sus. SMH

steph carries us, when?

we gotta be simps now if we aint on his johnson?.. when crawford went out, so did our playoff hopes last year. who takes the big shots? matter fact tell me whoWANTS to take the big shots on this team, its not marbury...tell me this, who does Eddy Curry play better with?

how in the hell is steph the backbone? because he claps and appears to be happy when isiah takes him out the game? what has he really shown you that make himthe backbone? bacause he decided to play defense for one season?

i liked marbury last year, dont get me wrong...but when crawford went out so did the teams drive and determination.

isiah and marbury are in the same boat, lots of talk NO WALK.

they both give us !+##. they both need to sthu and handle this in the locker room. im sick of all this childish BS. play some goddamn basketball.

It seem like everywhere isiah goes he ruins the organization, toronto , indiana, CBA get this dude out of here already, we are heading no where fast this season and its frustrating to see my team and city be ridiculed all the time when the talent is there but the coaching and management isn't on their job
And wherever Marbury goes the organization doesnt do squat either.

Since leavin the spot he should have stayed (Minnesota) Marbury has had some of the worst "luck" of anyone in the history of pro sports.

Games he has played, team W/L record:

1998-99: 13-18
1999-00: 32-43
2000-01: 22-45
2001-02: 36-46
2002-03: 44-37
2003-04: 37-44
2004-05: 33-49
2005-06: 18-42
2006-07: 31-43
2007-08: 2-3

And it aint endin anytime soon. Everyone shares blame, injuries, bad teams, etc. we know that. But as we have gone over 1,000 times on this board if you are aplayer in this league you eventually show it and also elevate your team on a semi-consistent basis. Especially playing in a crappy East those years. He'sthe one 20/8 player in NBA history who made the least dent in the league.

Not to get off today's topic with that but as I said, I'm not givin Marbury the benefit of the doubt for anything anymore unless we hear otherwise withthis situation. We've seen enough with the guy.

And this coming from a guy who thinks Zeke is sort of a tool.

We got punches!!1

Bergen Record Story
Up in the clouds, on the long flight to Phoenix, things apparently got loud between Stephon Marbury and Isiah Thomas. They were not arguing over who got the peanuts and who got the pretzels.

The tense on-court, off-court, in-courtoom relationship between coach and point guard boiled over as Thomas spoke of a reduced role for Marbury. One NBA player close to the situation said punches were eventually thrown -- a claim the Knicks denied -- and one person on the flight was heard describing the scene this way:

"We had some drama on the plane.... Typical BS in New York."

Either way, the Knicks will be looking for a new point guard as surely as the Yankees are looking for a new third baseman.

The mortal locks of everyday life come in a package of three: Death, taxes, and NBA teams improving dramatically once Stephon Marbury walks out the door.

The Knicks will put that third truth to the ultimate test. They are so dysfunctional, so rotten at the core, that even the subtraction of the cartoon character known as Starbury can't possibly save them.

Thomas is questioning his point guard's judgment and ability to lead? Look who's talking.

Thomas might've been a two-time champion with the Bad Boy Pistons, and the best small man ever to play the game. But as president and coach of the Knicks, his judgment and ability to lead have been no more impressive than his testimony in the sexual harassment case he lost as decisively as he would a midseason game to the Spurs.

Out in Phoenix, Marbury decided he was going, going, gone. His mentor and father confessor, Thomas, had to explain why the self-proclaimed best point guard in the league had left the Knicks before they faced, well, the best point guard in the league, Steve Nash.

"An in-house matter," Thomas called it. He kept using the term "in-house" as an antidote to the folly of Marbury's whereabouts, best captured by the famous Isiah expression from his harassment trial:

Off-site.

Marbury excommunicated himself from the Knicks after Thomas told him he was heading to the bench, and the easy reaction would be to declare good riddance to the clueless Coney Island star who first set fire to his career by divorcing Kevin Garnett way back when.

Marbury never got it. Never wanted to share the ball or the spotlight. Never understood that there was so much more to winning basketball games than putting up 20 points a night.

As a Net, Marbury once wrote the words "All Alone" on his ankle tape. He's always wanted the gym to himself. He's always thought that the ideal three-on-one fast break was run by me, myself and I.

But the Knicks' decision to cut Marbury's playing time involved plenty more than his refusal to play defense. Someone was bound to pay for the team's humiliating off-season, one punctuated by the blowout loss in federal court and the $11.6 million judgment a jury awarded Anucha Browne Sanders, the executive harassed by Thomas and fired by Garden owner Jim Dolan, only the worst owner in sports.

Marbury was the fall guy deferred. Sure, Steph had it coming to him. Under oath, he admitted to having extramarital sex in his truck with a Garden intern. His erratic behavior outside the courthouse was in keeping with his summer-long pattern of embarrassing his employer -- he did an incoherent WNBC-TV interview with Bruce Beck, and he defended the actions of Michael Vick.

He's still only a symptom of the ills plaguing the Knicks. Until Thomas is fired and Dolan is either convinced to sell or inspired to hire a genuine architect, the Knicks will lead the league in payroll and yet field a product cheaper than a pair of Marbury's sneakers.

Thomas is the one who traded for Marbury, made him the face and voice of his team. Dolan is the one who hired the Marbury cousin later fired for sexual harassment.

The president and the owner are the ones who have assembled a lousy team in a lightweight conference. They're the ones responsible for bringing great shame to a building, a city monument, that deserves so much more.

Now Thomas and Dolan want to scapegoat Marbury. They want everyone to believe the playmaker who never makes anyone around him better is the anchor weighing down their dreams.

Only Thomas and Dolan are the heaviest burdens the team has to bear. The day Thomas is fired and Dolan is yanked by his father, Charles, to the cable industry side of the family business is the day the Knicks can get back to work on their 34-year championship drought.

"This is a league where you have to overcome adversity," Thomas said before losing another game to the Suns Tuesday night, "and we're capable of it."

Just when, exactly, have these Knicks overcome adversity? Thomas took control of the team four years ago; the Knicks haven't won a single playoff game since.

Somehow Isiah has survived the serial losing, the lowering of once-proud Knicks standards. Somehow Dolan has weathered whatever back-room lobbying David Stern might've done to get the team out of his incompetent hands.

Now the men who run the Knicks get tough with Stephon Marbury, who is owed $42 million over the next two years. This story almost certainly has to end in a trade or a buyout.

"Make no mistake about it," Thomas claimed, "Stephon is welcome back. We want him as part of the team."

Marbury was reported to be saying he was granted permission to leave the Knicks. Whatever. This he-said, he-said absurdity only confirms the commissioner's ruling on the Knicks after last month's they-lost, she-won verdict.

"It demonstrates that they're not a model of intelligent management," Stern had told ESPN.

For once in his basketball life, Marbury doesn't represent the real in-house problem.

That one won't be solved until Thomas and Dolan are off-site.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=sports&id=5761399
[h1]Marbury fined $180K for skipping game[/h1]
NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks fined Stephon Marbury more than $180,000 for skipping Tuesday night's game at Phoenix.

The Knicks sent the guard a letter informing him of the fine, according to a person with knowledge of the penalty who spoke to The Associated Press. He requested anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss it.

The Knicks would not confirm the fine.

The team plays Wednesday night in Los Angeles against the Clippers. It isn't known if Marbury will attend that game.

According to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, players are docked 1/110th of their salaries for a missed game. With Marbury scheduled to earn $20.1 million this season, that would be about $182,800.

Marbury told the New York Post on Tuesday he had permission from coach Isiah Thomas to leave the team, but Thomas would not confirm that. He did say Marbury would be welcome.

Several of Marbury's teammates said his departure took them by surprise, but they expressed no hard feelings.

"You always support your teammates," forward Jared Jeffries said Tuesday night. "A lot of people on the outside don't understand what guys go through with their family, their friends, with this team, with anything. Whenever somebody goes through a tough time you support your teammate."

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

something else must have gone down in that conversation between IT and dolan. Marbury has bee benched before and never responded like this

I am glad someone else can see this and doesn't think Marbury ONLY left because he was benched.

Since everyone else is posting articles....here's my contribution from CNNSI

"This little storm,'' as Isiah Thomas portrayed his disagreement Tuesday with Stephon Marbury, is turning into the kind of feud best explored in a graphic novel. "It's Warbury!'' hailed the New York Daily News on Wednesday, reporting that Marbury has threatened to expose Thomas for trying to bench him.

I don't know if that threat is true, but I do recall a sage league source warning me last month to keep an eye on the Marbury-Thomas relationship early in the season.

Marbury's affair with a Knicks intern was dragged into evidence last summer in Thomas' sexual harassment case involving former team employee Anucha Browne Sanders, who won a $11.6 million judgment against the Knicks. The scout predicted that if Thomas were to reduce his point guard's role this season, then Marbury might melt down over his treatment by the Knicks. I'm sure Marbury feels he gets instigated or blamed for all of their problems -- his clashes with Larry Brown, the harassment suit or virtually every losing streak in which he is fingered for not doing enough to turn around the Knicks.

It's also fair to say that Thomas helped fulfill Marbury's sense of entitlement after trading favorable contracts and draft picks to the Suns four years ago for Marbury, who was welcomed back to his hometown of New York as a Knicks savior. As team president, Thomas could have instantly demanded more leadership and defense from his new star because Marbury was grateful to be rescued home after bouncing from Minnesota to New Jersey to Phoenix. But Thomas believed instead that he could elevate the Knicks by embracing and encouraging Marbury.

I remember after a game at Madison Square Garden one night when Thomas got so carried away with the praise that he began comparing Marbury to himself. "I've got to say, I think you're being unfair to yourself,'' I argued. "You won two championships, and you're trying to say that somebody who's never won a playoff series is as good as you were.''

Thomas no longer makes those claims. Maybe his perspective on Marbury has changed now that he's coaching him every day. But more relevant to the current tension is Thomas' overhaul of the Knicks' roster: They've morphed from a perimeter team to a low-post team built around the size of Eddy Curry, Zach Randolph and David Lee.

If the Knicks were to buy out Marbury -- an option being considered by Thomas and owner James Dolan, according to the Daily News -- then their reconstruction would come into sharp focus. Among the 11 remaining Knicks capable of playing meaningful minutes right now (youngsters Wilson Chandler and Randolph Morris and injured center Jerome James aren't in the mix), Malik Rose, who turns 33 later this month, would be the only player older than 28, and Randolph would be the only one making more than $9 million per year.

The average age of that rotation would be 26 years and the payroll for those 11 players would be a reasonable $58.8 million. With his guaranteed $40 million over the next two years, his sense of entitlement and his NBA mileage as a 30-year-old in his 12th season, it's easy to see how Marbury doesn't fit in with the rest of his team.

Look, I'm not nominating Thomas to be Executive of the Year. The Knicks' league-leading $96 million payroll is proof of the red-ink mistakes he's made. In recent years, he's committed $120 million in buyouts and fees to Brown and players Shandon Anderson, Jalen Rose, Maurice Taylor and Jerome Williams and Dan Dickau. To repeat: They've paid $80 million (plus another $40 million in luxury taxes) to people for not playing or coaching.

The Knicks have taken an innovative approach to remodeling. When other franchises turn over their rosters, they usually trade their most expensive talent for expiring contracts, young players and draft picks, which leads to an extended rebuilding process. The Knicks, because they're rich, have instead bought out many of their bad contracts, which has opened up spots on the roster to hasten their rebuilding and exploit Thomas's ability to find value in the draft.

It's like they have two rosters: the new roster of young players around whom Thomas is hoping to define the franchise, and the haunting old roster of overpaid players in their 30s like Marbury, Rose and Jerome James.

While the Knicks deserve ridicule for the outlandish contracts they've awarded over the years, they also deserve some credit for owning up to those mistakes and buying out the contracts. Far better to open up the roster spot than to compound the original mistake by tying up room on the bench.

Do they buy out Marbury? When I played the longshot and picked the Knicks to finish sixth in the East this season, it was based on the assumption that they would rely more on young point guards Nate Robinson and Mardy Collins at the expense of Marbury, who -- if he would accept it as humbly as Manu Ginobili has in San Antonio -- could be an excellent sixth man as a microwave off the bench. Statistically, Marbury is their best point guard, but he isn't what they need anymore. With scorers Randolph, Curry and Jamal Crawford dominating the lineup, the Knicks need a distributor and defender starting in the backcourt. But, of course, Marbury is going to view a change in his role as a demotion.

It's clear that Thomas is approaching this season with newfound urgency amid speculation that he must win in order to keep his job. Will he dispose of Marbury in order to demonstrate faith in his young players? Or will buying out the contract prove too costly if Marbury spends the rest of the season dishing out dirt on Isiah and the Knicks?

A third option may prove viable: Mend the relationship and deploy Marbury depending on the matchup. He'll play more minutes against some teams and not so much against others.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/11/14/marbury.knicks/index.html?eref=T1

I am glad someone else can see this and doesn't think Marbury ONLY left because he was benched.

I gotta co-sign that....a lot of people letting their hate for Marbury get in the way of actually formulating an objective viewpoint/opinion...

Originally Posted by diceloveme

laugh.gif
@ bwood. You got it my dude I'm wrong
laugh.gif

OD @ the fine tho

i know you were wrong, but im mad at this situation, not at marbury. season aint really start yet and we gotta deal with bs.

Marbury - time to skip to Italy and be the next "Beckham" as you have claimed you are...

I was being sarcastic my dude, However I'm mad at the situation too. Mine as well just chalk up this season as a L or a mediocre one as always
smh.gif

"Isiah has to start me," Marbury fumed, according to the source. "I've got so much (stuff) on Isiah and he knows it. He thinks he can (get) me. But I'll (get) him first. You have no idea what I know."
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/14/report-marbury-threatened-to-blackmail-isiah/

Man this situation is so crazy, Marbury trying to blackmail Isiah! I wonder what kinda dirt he's got on him. But anyways who is gonna pickup Marbury if he does walk out on the team, or if he gets benched for good. The team still owes him something like 40 million so there's no way he'sgonna get traded

Back
Top Bottom