Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

at some point the elephant in the room as far as American culture has to be addressed; real talk.

America gonna America. Nothing new to see here. Actually wondering what was taking so long. been about 2 months since the last church was shot up.

Damn, there’s really a town called “White Settlement”? Guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but damn lol.

only semi-related, but "Levittowns" represent another fun story of planned segregation.

The year-long 50th-birthday party for this pioneering suburb on Long Island is winding down. The parade drew 5,000 marchers[...]but not everyone touched by the Levittown experience has been celebrating.

''The anniversary leaves me cold,'' said Eugene Burnett, who was among thousands of military veterans who lined up for their green patch of the American dream here after World War II. But he was turned away because he is black. ''It's symbolic of segregation in America,'' he said. ''That's the legacy of Levittown.

''When I hear 'Levittown,' what rings in my mind is when the salesman said: 'It's not me, you see, but the owners of this development have not as yet decided whether they're going to sell these homes to Negroes,'

'' Mr. Burnett, now a retired Suffolk County police sergeant, recalled. He said he still stings from ''the feeling of rejection on that long ride back to Harlem.''

The salesman was not honest with Mr. Burnett. Blacks and other minorities had no chance of getting in, because Levitt had decided from the start to admit only whites.

it gets deeper...

The whites-only policy was not some unspoken gentlemen's agreement. It was cast in bold capital letters in clause 25 of the standard lease for the first Levitt houses, which included an option to buy.

It stated that the home could not ''be used or occupied by any person other than members of the Caucasian race.''

That clause was dropped in 1948 after the United States Supreme Court, ruling on another case, declared such restrictions to be ''unenforceable as law and contrary to public policy.'

...but wait, there's more!

Ignoring the law of the land, however, Levitt continued adhering to its racial bar. Levittown quickly filled up with young white families. Minority residents trickled in during the 1950's, but the pattern was set.

Today Levittown has changed, but only a little. While the community has more minority residents than ever, it remains overwhelmingly white -- 97.37 percent in the 1990 census.

if you live in the areas of NY, Baltimore, DC, or Philly, you've probably seen one on a map near you.

woo American history!

Another example of systemic racism that people claim doesn't exist. You finally "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" only to find it didn't matter anyways, there's no housing available outside the hood to you.

it's a lost cause from where I'm sitting, and I truly believe that.

and future this still occurs in parts of manhattan(from my experience), and across America today.

what is today called "gentrification" is pretty much the same thing repackaged.

if most rich people are from one subset of society, and only rich people can live in a place....

I commend white people for the way they stay ON CODE via the justice system and media for their criminals. As soon as we have a mass shooting they begin to talk about bullying, mental illness, show his baby pictures, talk to family and neighbors who have well words about the person etc.

We had a clearly mentally ill black man in NY who has been on disability for schizophrenia for the last 12 years stab some people and the president and governor immediately came out and called him a terrorist lol

White Settlement.

You see, but there are quite a few posters here who love to tout JUDGE PEOPLE BY THEIR CHARACTER.

Examples such as these is why I wish I could hit them with a resounding, Brooklyn style, F U right here on NikeTalk.

Back
Top Bottom