Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

2 injured in Colorado school shooting, police

Two suspects are in custody after multiple victims were shot at a Colorado school, a law enforcement source told ABC News.

Authorities are currently engaging a third suspect, the source said.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office received reports that shots were fired at the STEM School in Highlands Ranch just before 2 p.m., according to a tweet. At least two people are believed to be injured, according to the sheriff's office.

The two injured people are students, a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office told reporters during a news conference. The nature of their injuries is unclear.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...in-colorado/ar-AAB2wtj?ocid=spartandhp#page=2

1 dead. I dunno what's up with the area man... went to the mall in Littleton a couple of weeks ago for a meeting and it seemed like a nice enough place. This was right around 420 when that chick came from Florida and bought a shotgun then offed herself... overheard a guy talking about it in Macy's.

I still find it crazy we have a shooting thread...this isn’t normal in The slightest but I guess that’s America

Politicians aren't too blame imo. There's something wrong with people that do these shootings and America just hasn't figured out what to do to prevent it.

Politicians aren't too blame imo. There's something wrong with people that do these shootings and America just hasn't figured out what to do to prevent it.

It's an American problem, created by this country's embarrassing/disgusting history. It does fall on the government. And I'm not even talking solely about gun control.

Politicians are the ones who are supposed to be stepping up and figuring out how to prevent these things, some of them haven't shown much desire to change anything
Let’s go the other route too. Those politicians fight to make things easier to keep their donations. To them that kids death is cost effective. His funeral is cheaper than their nra donation

Yeah “America problem” but there’s a reason for that. Just like the pain killer problem.

"I was just curious on your thoughts about Congress enacting a domestic terrorism charge," Michael McCall, a Texas Republican, said to Brad Wiegmann of the Justice Department:

"We would welcome a discussion," Wiegmann said. But he added, "designating domestic groups as domestic terrorism organizations and picking out particular groups that you say you disagree with their views and so forth is going to be highly problematic."

I found this interesting. One of the main reasons they don't call or classify these individuals as terrorists is because by US definition, you have to be a member of a known terrorist group against the US to fall into that category.

The ACLU and other groups resist that classification for any domestic group.

A Florida Fourth Grade Teacher was Arrested for Bringing a Loaded Gun and Knives to School

190521155616-florida-teacher-arrested-loaded-gun-knives-exlarge-169.jpg

A fourth grade teacher was arrested for bringing a loaded gun and knives to school - CNN

(CNN)A fourth-grade teacher in Seminole, Florida, was arrested on Monday for bringing a loaded gun and two knives to Starkey Elementary School.

Betty Soto had a Glock 9mm handgun loaded with seven rounds of ammunition, a six-inch fighting knife and a two-inch finger knife in her backpack.

The gun was exposed in her classroom with fourth-grade students present, according to a report by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

Erica Kennedy, whose two children attend the school, told CNN affiliate WFLA that she was shocked.

"I can't believe something like that would happen at this school. I almost think they're going to have to start checking teacher's bags, or maybe even have a metal detector to set something off."

Florida governor has signed a bill allowing teachers to carry firearms

Though Soto has a concealed weapons permit, she was arrested for carrying the weapons onto school property.

Soto told CNN affiliate WFLA to "ask DeSantis" and "ask your governor" when asked why she brought the weapons to school, seemingly referencing a bill that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed earlier this month that would allow teachers to be armed on campus.

The measure, which doesn't go into effect until October, allows school districts to opt in to the program. It is not a requirement for teachers or districts, CNN affiliate WFOR reported. Teachers from districts that choose to participate will have to undergo police-style training, psychiatric evaluation and drug screening.

Soto's teaching contract was already not renewed prior to this incident, a Pinellas County Schools spokesperson said. She will not return to the school for the remainder of the year and is ineligible for hire elsewhere within the school district.

She bonded out of jail on Monday night, CNN affiliate WFLA reported.

CNN has reached out to Gov. DeSantis for comment.

New Florida Law Bans Release Of Mass Shooting Recordings

WLRN

https://news.wgcu.org/post/new-florida-law-bans-release-mass-shooting-recordings

Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed a bill that prohibits Florida's government agencies from releasing photos, video or audio that record the killing of a person in an act of mass violence.

The new law was signed Thursday and takes effect immediately.

The bill was written after last year's school shooting in Parkland that left 17 people dead. It says the exemption to the public record law is needed to protect victims' families from trauma and to prevent the images or recordings from inspiring others to kill.

The bill's sponsor, Sen. Tom Lee of Hillsborough County, has said he is aware that such recordings can help the media keep authorities accountable after a mass shooting but pointed out that news organizations can petition a judge to access the images.

dec_032_red1__07639.1460496871.1280.1280.jpg

Most of these universities are still descendants of plantations, murderers and theives. But we aren't ready to have a conversation about the legacy of these institutions. (Which is violence and bloodshed)
Start a new thread to get the conversation started. I'm up for the discussion and it needs to be had.

Reactions: wr
Back
Top Bottom