Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

you guys realize the gunshow loopholes are non existent right? do people illegally, nefariously sell guns, sure.

but not one of these mass shootings has come from a gun purchased from a trade show

people get these talking tracks and jus stick by them because theyre scared

thats what it all comes back to, fear. even though Americans have NEVER been safer on a day to day basis *shrugs*

Do people really think you can buy a gun online and have it shipped to your house?

What does online have to do with anything?

Do people really think you can buy a gun online and have it shipped to your house?

What does online have to do with anything?

I'm sure some people do, but I think what was mentioned here was the fact that you cannot have one shipped to your house instead it has to go through a gun store as a positive thing

RIP, again.

Gun show loophole should have been ended. Also don’t think you should be able to purchase firearms out of state without proper vetting.

Online sales have to go through a FFL vendor. They don’t ship to your house. The laws are still shaky there because the parts considered an actual “firearm” can’t be shipped to you but the other parts can.

Sensible gun owners and gun law reform advocates need to be working together. The division is one of the problems keeping progress from being made. There is ground in between. It doesn’t need to be all or nothing.

This is going to be the conversation every time there’s an event like this. I hope we can figure it out one day.

We are in the middle ground, most of the ways you all are assuming you can purchase weapons is just simply untrue.

Furthermore, the guns arnt the problem.... seems pretty apparent that the problem is with the mentality of the ppl in this country. If the guns were the problem youd have the most gun violence in places where... guns are the most prevalent, yes? the data shows that is NOT what is happening (yes I know about Chicago). tens of millions of firearms get sold every year that arnt used on human beings. tens of millions of American own and carry firearms every day.

yes mass shootings are a problem, NO, further restrictions will not curb the problem. Fix the REAL problems (theyve been discussed ad nauseum)

you guys realize the gunshow loopholes are non existent right?

The “gun show loophole” refers to the fact that most states do not require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals. Federal law requires background checks on guns sold by federally licensed (FFL) dealers only.

As of November 2016, 19 states and the District of Columbia have their own gun show background check requirements. Nine states (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Washington) require background checks at the point of sale for all transfers, including purchases from unlicensed sellers.

In Maryland and Pennsylvania, background checks are required for handguns only. Gun show gun buyers in Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, and New Jersey are required to obtain a state-issued permit. Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, and North Carolina require state-issued permits for handguns only.

In 32 states, there are currently no laws — federal or state — regulating firearms sales between private individuals at gun shows.

Untitled.png

you guys realize the gunshow loopholes are non existent right? do people illegally, nefariously sell guns, sure.

but not one of these mass shootings has come from a gun purchased from a trade show

people get these talking tracks and jus stick by them because theyre scared

thats what it all comes back to, fear. even though Americans have NEVER been safer on a day to day basis *shrugs*

The point isn’t that the guns come from there. I can legit go to a local show and buy a gun cash with no background check whatsoever.

The checks are optional for the parties involved, state police just have to be on scene just in case a check is wanted. And in some areas with smaller populations the police aren’t even required to be there.

This is Virginia law.

oh so the "loophole" is they wont have their backgrounds checked?

how many murders has ATF stopped with their vetting? how many of the shooters would have something come up in a background that would prevent them from legally purchasing? What are the deciding factors on ones cognizance in regards to firearm ownership?

We are in the middle ground, most of the ways you all are assuming you can purchase weapons is just simply untrue.

Furthermore, the guns arnt the problem.... seems pretty apparent that the problem is with the mentality of the ppl in this country. If the guns were the problem youd have the most gun violence in places where... guns are the most prevalent, yes? the data shows that is NOT what is happening (yes I know about Chicago). tens of millions of firearms get sold every year that arnt used on human beings. tens of millions of American own and carry firearms every day.

yes mass shootings are a problem, NO, further restrictions will not curb the problem. Fix the REAL problems (theyve been discussed ad nauseum)
https://www.newsweek.com/states-mor...urders-home-women-most-common-victims-1450162

how many murders has ATF stopped with their vetting? how many of the shooters would have something come up in a background that would prevent them from legally purchasing? What are the deciding factors on ones cognizance in regards to firearm ownership?

The Marjorie-Stoneham shooter was posting all sorts of hate speech and brandishing weapons online. That stuff should be tracked IMO and he shouldn't be able to access firearms. Zero tolerance.

He was able to pass the background check because the system screens for certain indicators of past violence, misconduct, and mental health issues but not all. The scope of review is narrow and would not capture all aspects of Cruz's profile, even if it included explicit, public threats against students and school disciplinary behavior that led to his expulsion from high school.

????

Yes. If I can go somewhere and purchase a firearm that a background check is required for....... without a background check... that is a loophole. It is not “nonexistent”.

Is your argument that because the shooters wouldn’t come up on the checks, the checks aren’t necessary? That is short sighted.

Deciding factors on cognizance should include mandatory training and testing YEARLY for starters. People who have no idea how to safely handle a firearm should not be allowed to walk around with them freely. Period. There is no rational argument against that.

The idiots I see at the range not knowing how to handle their guns safely are my motivation for this. If you’ve been to a range or around new gun owners you know exactly what I’m talking about.

thats the definition of unconstitutional and thus starts us down our slippery descent away from Democracy into some sort of strange Imperialism where the most fearful dictate for the rest of us

thats the definition of unconstitutional and thus starts us down our slippery descent away from Democracy into some sort of strange Imperialism where the most fearful dictate for the rest of us

Any “gun law” is an infringement on freedom. So is the solution to do away with the laws fully or be logical and find an in between that is agreeable amongst rational people as a whole in society?

If the most short sighted dictate for the rest of us, what do we become at that point?

Lol that ship sailed a long time ago. Ever hear of the Patriot Act? Facebook and Amazon?

yearly testing firearm competency hahahaha we can barely afford to keep police officers trained yearly and thats with them stealing tax payer dolalrs to do so, some of yall are saying some really outlandish not theseible things.

cpl more decades and dudes will be pushing for policies of round tables only (no corners), speed limit max of 25 mph, etc etc

the thing that makes this country great is the freedom to make your own decisions, decide your own destiny all that jazz

The idiots I see at the range not knowing how to handle their guns safely are my motivation for this. If you’ve been to a range or around new gun owners you know exactly what I’m talking about.

The level of strict those range officers are about gun safety should be the same way all gun ownership should be handled. Seen a video where a guy was there with his buddy taking selfies with a gun and "playfully" pointed the gun at his friends head for a pic. Range officer came over with the quickness and took the gun for him, made sure it was empty and promptly kicked him out.

yearly testing firearm competency hahahaha we can barely afford to keep police officers trained yearly and thats with them stealing tax payer dolalrs to do so, some of yall are saying some really outlandish not theseible things.

cpl more decades and dudes will be pushing for policies of round tables only (no corners), speed limit max of 25 mph, etc etc

the thing that makes this country great is the freedom to make your own decisions, decide your own destiny all that jazz

Imagine thinking this country is great in the year of our lord 2019 :lol:

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to get a Driver’s License?

You gotta get a Driver’s License in order to operate a motor vehicle cause you know, otherwise you could kill someone.

Nah. You pay for the class like you pay for your license to conceal. Like you pay for your drivers test. Same concept.

You’re making logical leaps to make a point that just does not add up.

Why is it easier to buy a gun than it is to get a Driver’s License?

Bought a pistol on my lunch break once. And still had time to eat.

Srs

Virginia is a wild place

I don't see a solution. This country has a love affair with killing machines and made them readily available to humans ... That could potentially snap at any time. Yearly mental checks or not, people can snap at any moment.
Only thing i see that would stop this is legalizing weed and prostitution. But that doesn't 'look good'.

Don’t get me wrong, I STRONGLY advocate for gun ownership. But if you can’t pass a test saying you should have it - you shouldn’t have it.

Just like with a car. Just like with a forklift.

Just like there are qualifiers for a drivers license (medication, vision, health).

It is common sense.

Back
Top Bottom