McDonalds Hires 62,000, Turns Away Over 938,000 Applicants...

Lower acceptance rate than Harvard undergrad
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Job market is no joke right now. My mom runs a legal publishing company and put a Craigslist ad out for a $13/hr proofreading job. Show up on President's Weekend, either Saturday or Monday, take a proofreading and editing test. If you do well enough on the test you get to come back for an interview later. I proctored the tests. She expected about 25 people to show up...80 people took the test. And it wasn't a bunch of recent college grads. Lawyers, people who worked in publishing for 20+ years, people in their 50s. It was crazy. Out of 80 she interviewed only five, and hired two. She's been running her own company for more than 20 years now and said in the past when she's put an ad out, she'd be lucky to get 10 people to show up.

I'm about to graduate with an English degree this semester and publishing was one of the career paths suggested to me. Is it a field worth looking into or is it something that doesn't allow much progression?
There are jobs in specialized publishing (like my mom's). Also, one thing you will find out more and more once you leave college: there are so many people who can't write a coherent sentence to save their lives. Everyone's always looking for a good writer. I'm working for my mom because I kind of made some bad decisions career-wise and needed a temporary fallback, so I just do random busy work for her. I don't edit or proof, but I was a journalism major. I contribute to a magazine on the side as well. Honestly, I wish I'd just become a bartender out of college and written on the side. Still considering the bartending route, even though I'm 27.

Job market is no joke right now. My mom runs a legal publishing company and put a Craigslist ad out for a $13/hr proofreading job. Show up on President's Weekend, either Saturday or Monday, take a proofreading and editing test. If you do well enough on the test you get to come back for an interview later. I proctored the tests. She expected about 25 people to show up...80 people took the test. And it wasn't a bunch of recent college grads. Lawyers, people who worked in publishing for 20+ years, people in their 50s. It was crazy. Out of 80 she interviewed only five, and hired two. She's been running her own company for more than 20 years now and said in the past when she's put an ad out, she'd be lucky to get 10 people to show up.

I'm about to graduate with an English degree this semester and publishing was one of the career paths suggested to me. Is it a field worth looking into or is it something that doesn't allow much progression?
There are jobs in specialized publishing (like my mom's). Also, one thing you will find out more and more once you leave college: there are so many people who can't write a coherent sentence to save their lives. Everyone's always looking for a good writer. I'm working for my mom because I kind of made some bad decisions career-wise and needed a temporary fallback, so I just do random busy work for her. I don't edit or proof, but I was a journalism major. I contribute to a magazine on the side as well. Honestly, I wish I'd just become a bartender out of college and written on the side. Still considering the bartending route, even though I'm 27.

i go get my 1st and only check from macys tomorrow...got one training day on there, even though i did 2.

md minimum wage is $7.25

but this news is no joke, times is crazy hard.

i go get my 1st and only check from macys tomorrow...got one training day on there, even though i did 2.

md minimum wage is $7.25

but this news is no joke, times is crazy hard.

Many of my professors have personally pulled me to the side after class to tell me how impressed they were with my writing and I put maybe 75% effort into writing my papers for class...I know writing books is always a good way to try to get your name out and make good money, but I honestly don't have much of a passion for book writing..I can't front though..Despite my above average writing abilities, I'm still worried out of my mind that I won't find a job for years with my worthless Bachelors in English
30t6p3b.gif

Many of my professors have personally pulled me to the side after class to tell me how impressed they were with my writing and I put maybe 75% effort into writing my papers for class...I know writing books is always a good way to try to get your name out and make good money, but I honestly don't have much of a passion for book writing..I can't front though..Despite my above average writing abilities, I'm still worried out of my mind that I won't find a job for years with my worthless Bachelors in English
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
If I actually applied myself as a writer, I'd be pretty amazing. I am working on a book with a friend right now, kind of as a challenge to myself.

30t6p3b.gif
If I actually applied myself as a writer, I'd be pretty amazing. I am working on a book with a friend right now, kind of as a challenge to myself.

I thought that last summer was Recovery Summer? Everything is fine according to the White House.

It was funny to see a Democratic Party operative, on MSNBC, say that it is not the job of the President to create jobs. Why on Earth to they always promise to do so during every election cycle?

For many people, news like this a chance to reinforce a worldview, to blame a single group or idea for this very disagreeable situation. Ultimately, a variety of factors have converged to create a real un/underemployment rate that is around 20%.

I thought that last summer was Recovery Summer? Everything is fine according to the White House.

It was funny to see a Democratic Party operative, on MSNBC, say that it is not the job of the President to create jobs. Why on Earth to they always promise to do so during every election cycle?

For many people, news like this a chance to reinforce a worldview, to blame a single group or idea for this very disagreeable situation. Ultimately, a variety of factors have converged to create a real un/underemployment rate that is around 20%.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Who is to blame when capitalist aren't producing new jobs?

The goal of capitalism isn't to produce jobs. It's to increase the profits of corporations. If hiring more people helps them gain more profits, cool, if not, then capitalism doesn't give two $!+** whether the unemployed people go sleep on the street and die.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Who is to blame when capitalist aren't producing new jobs?

The goal of capitalism isn't to produce jobs. It's to increase the profits of corporations. If hiring more people helps them gain more profits, cool, if not, then capitalism doesn't give two $!+** whether the unemployed people go sleep on the street and die.

Originally Posted by Mrsouthernhospitality

Originally Posted by 23mjordan45

it sucks nowadays finding a job. everywhere i apply they want work experience but i dont have any because im a full time student. one time i got turned down by a temp agency because of this. they were like wow your in school, graduated hs, whats your major,etc but do you have work experience and i said no and they gave me the
indifferent.gif
. then i asked them how many people you guys helped find a job that has a hs diploma and goes/went to college.  they said a couple. then i gave them
indifferent.gif
tired.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

That same things happens with skilled professions (thing you went to school for)
Im licensed in Phlebotomy but have a hard time just getting my feet in the door

damn near all the employers wants a certain number of experience and its not even reasonable

like some want you to have at least five years in experience 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

and what I try to find out is how do any of these employers expect anybody fresh from school to have any type of experience when its never given

to you to begin with

you got at least one student graduating from a trade school every three months trying to do phlebotomy

and also many more students graduating college trying to do phlebotomy but there going to be damn near left in the cold

because they are no entry level positions 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

and they wonder why its no jobs out here all the employers just expect experience to fall in your lap

its even the same thing with temp agency's when it comes to this profession (but its not in there control honestly thats what there clients want)

even small health care clinics are shady

its a company called concentra  its a small health care clinic that I had an interview with when I was fresh out of school (the school set me up)

and they turned down three new graduates saying that they felt we were not confident enough for there needs 
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

about a week past and I found out the same people I had an interview with gave that position away to an extern (free worker)

so I basically said no hate on her but your telling me that somebody thats not even done with the course is more  qualified then somebody 

who is certified f$@# that they just did that because they saw somebody need the extern hours and in return they got the extra worker they

needed instead of hiring somebody and doing the same $#!@ that they were doing with the extern 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

and even the schools themselves dont help 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

got a career placement department for nothing only sent me on only one interview and its been damn near a year 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

and I passed every test for certification they can throw at me with flying colors $#!@ is ridiculous 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

This summarizes my frustration.

Originally Posted by Mrsouthernhospitality

Originally Posted by 23mjordan45

it sucks nowadays finding a job. everywhere i apply they want work experience but i dont have any because im a full time student. one time i got turned down by a temp agency because of this. they were like wow your in school, graduated hs, whats your major,etc but do you have work experience and i said no and they gave me the
indifferent.gif
. then i asked them how many people you guys helped find a job that has a hs diploma and goes/went to college.  they said a couple. then i gave them
indifferent.gif
tired.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

That same things happens with skilled professions (thing you went to school for)
Im licensed in Phlebotomy but have a hard time just getting my feet in the door

damn near all the employers wants a certain number of experience and its not even reasonable

like some want you to have at least five years in experience 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

and what I try to find out is how do any of these employers expect anybody fresh from school to have any type of experience when its never given

to you to begin with

you got at least one student graduating from a trade school every three months trying to do phlebotomy

and also many more students graduating college trying to do phlebotomy but there going to be damn near left in the cold

because they are no entry level positions 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

and they wonder why its no jobs out here all the employers just expect experience to fall in your lap

its even the same thing with temp agency's when it comes to this profession (but its not in there control honestly thats what there clients want)

even small health care clinics are shady

its a company called concentra  its a small health care clinic that I had an interview with when I was fresh out of school (the school set me up)

and they turned down three new graduates saying that they felt we were not confident enough for there needs 
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

about a week past and I found out the same people I had an interview with gave that position away to an extern (free worker)

so I basically said no hate on her but your telling me that somebody thats not even done with the course is more  qualified then somebody 

who is certified f$@# that they just did that because they saw somebody need the extern hours and in return they got the extra worker they

needed instead of hiring somebody and doing the same $#!@ that they were doing with the extern 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

and even the schools themselves dont help 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

got a career placement department for nothing only sent me on only one interview and its been damn near a year 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

and I passed every test for certification they can throw at me with flying colors $#!@ is ridiculous 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

This summarizes my frustration.

damn shame. Minimum wage in NYC is $7.25 I think. smh @ me getting rejected from Footlocker a half dozen times. Ithought anyone could get a job there. Best iof luck to the people who got the jobs tho.

damn shame. Minimum wage in NYC is $7.25 I think. smh @ me getting rejected from Footlocker a half dozen times. Ithought anyone could get a job there. Best iof luck to the people who got the jobs tho.

Back
Top Bottom