MD Drivers: Repeal the Two Plate Law

I pulled this from another forum. I figure some folks in here might be interested in helping the cause.

For those of you who are Maryland residents:

Over the last 2 years I've been following the campaign to get Maryland's frivolous two license plate law repealed. Bills have been brought forward numerous times but always face a substantial challenge by the State Police but pretty much by nobody else. This time the bill has some good momentum and I'm optimistic that it will make it past Environmental Matters. The objection the MSP usually raise is that a front plate helps them find stolen vehicles and helps them enforce toll booth violations. This is only half true. A front plate has nothing to do with protecting your property and everything to do with generating revenue. The truth is that the reason the MSP wants all vehicles to have a front plate is that it makes an excellent reflector target for laser speed detection gear and as such is a substantial revenue generation tool for the MSP. Follow the money folks. The extra front plate costs Marylanders an additional $750K per year, and MSP wants Maryland residents to pay that extra money simply to make it easier for them to stop and collect. It has nothing to do with public safety, nothing to do with helping them protect your personal property, and everything to do with extracting more money from the populace. It is another example of government waste and “civil servants

I pulled this from another forum. I figure some folks in here might be interested in helping the cause.

For those of you who are Maryland residents:

Over the last 2 years I've been following the campaign to get Maryland's frivolous two license plate law repealed. Bills have been brought forward numerous times but always face a substantial challenge by the State Police but pretty much by nobody else. This time the bill has some good momentum and I'm optimistic that it will make it past Environmental Matters. The objection the MSP usually raise is that a front plate helps them find stolen vehicles and helps them enforce toll booth violations. This is only half true. A front plate has nothing to do with protecting your property and everything to do with generating revenue. The truth is that the reason the MSP wants all vehicles to have a front plate is that it makes an excellent reflector target for laser speed detection gear and as such is a substantial revenue generation tool for the MSP. Follow the money folks. The extra front plate costs Marylanders an additional $750K per year, and MSP wants Maryland residents to pay that extra money simply to make it easier for them to stop and collect. It has nothing to do with public safety, nothing to do with helping them protect your personal property, and everything to do with extracting more money from the populace. It is another example of government waste and “civil servants

Back
Top Bottom