Miami passes Los Angeles as the second most expensive housing market in the US

Are the houses in Miami worth it ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 82.2%

• Total voters
I have always thought Socal wasn't that expensive tbh

My girl is from Boston, , went there last year for the first time ever, I see why it is expensive, city center (condensed) as other folks mentioned great sports town, music venues, shopping, schools, close to ny

SoCal is expensive. My rent in San Diego was $2,600. During the great gas calamity of last year, gas was $7. Cost of living is definitely high. Los Angeles has to be 10-15% more (I’m being conservative).

SoCal is expensive. My rent in San Diego was $2,600. During the great gas calamity of last year, gas was $7. Cost of living is definitely high. Los Angeles has to be 10-15% more (I’m being conservative).
It's all about context I suppose, this is all anecdotal but I don't pay much less than you and I am living in a "low cost" city, Charlotte.

I don't think you could find a decent studio in NY for close to 2600.....

a 1 bedroom anywhere is 2200+

there was always a market here for "efficiencies" or studios, basically a small part of the house with a private entrance that would get rented off.......those are minimum 1k now and the market is tough, i went out with $3300 a few months ago to rent one of these

theyre asking for first+last+security which i was ready to find a place for around $1100 per month

then the next step is hoping that youre selected or chosen for the location |l

Yeah, Florida is in a weird place. Compared to Texas or NC, migration is higher which is driving up the demand/pricing.

I’ve been looking for a place in Tampa. I came upon this small home resale in a nice community my cousin lives in. The sellers were theses Ukrainian women (they might have been proxies). They sounded like they’re trying to buy more property to flip or provide to family. Like Rusty posted a page or so back, it just seems like there isn’t consumer protection for Americans. I’m not saying America First. But the capitalist nature of this country is driving to more of a rental or high home price market. Like my dad says, they’re not building more land.

Boston (actual city center) is small as hell. I swear it seems like I walked the whole thing in an afternoon. :lol:

It is probably cool in the summer, but like others have asked WHAT am I paying for?

My girl is from Boston, , went there last year for the first time ever, I see why it is expensive, city center (condensed) as other folks mentioned great sports town, music venues, shopping, schools, close to ny

Boston is so overrated, but it’s OK for a Tier 2 city if you have a family. The city also feels very, very white which isn’t ideal if you’re a POC but I guess I’m used to NYC. The community also feels very insular compared to other cities.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Boston over the last 5 years and it’s not for me, but to your point I can understand why it’s expensive.

1674246902537.jpeg

:rofl:

We are doomed.

it's expensive because they don't build enough housing.

Like most north eastern cities they've lost population to the sunbelt, but population should def be much larger given the amount of universities, and major businesses in the area.

I really don't get why you are laughing

What is supposed to be funny?

Suggesting that an innovation in building materials will solve the housing crisis is absurd.

we have the technology to build hopes quickly.

the problem is that it is illegal to build multi family units on most of the land in housing crisis cities.

The housing crisis is fundamentally a policy question and not a technology one.

I'm gonna be in Boston in a few weeks. What's there to do during the week downtown? Might see my Sixers play but not really trying to fade an out of pocket Celtics fan

Suggesting that an innovation in building materials will solve the housing crisis is absurd.

we have the technology to build hopes quickly.

the problem is that it is illegal to build multi family units on most of the land in housing crisis cities.

The housing crisis is fundamentally a policy question and not a technology one.
Did you even read the article?

The title just seems like more of a hook to read readers. Not asserting that 3-D printed tech is the answer.

It is mostly about emerging technology in a market. For homebuilders to get homes built. Not a public policy solution for the housing crisis

The people associated with the company make lofty claims but the author discusses the topic in a very honest way.

It is difficult to build utopian housing in a non-utopian world. Many of the mid-century attempts at reinventing housing on an industrial scale eventually foundered. Building codes are highly localized, posing a challenge for mass production—a design that works in one place might not be permitted in another. And, though people may love hearing about new kinds of houses, they don’t always want to inhabit them. Buckminster Fuller’s own geodesic house leaked, and his wife wasn’t sure how to hang pictures on the slanted walls.

Behrokh Khoshnevis, the engineer who pioneered 3-D-printed construction, has become jaded about the technology’s potential. “All the hype is not warranted,” he told me. When I asked him about his tedx talk from a decade ago, he sounded wistful. “I was very optimistic,” he said. Khoshnevis never succeeded at taking the technology mainstream. “I’m glad I started kind of a movement,” he said. “And I’d like it to succeed. I think it will, but it’s going to take time, and it’s not going to be at the scale I envisioned originally—it’s not going to be most buildings.” He’d come to believe that the construction industry was not ready for a total disruption. The experience seemed to have made him philosophical. “The best thing is reality, knowing the reality, not living in fantasy,” he said. “Understanding reality is as good of an achievement as materializing the fantasy that you have.”

Furthermore, resources to build houses are not infinite. If everywhere deregulated zoning laws, and the federal government invested in building g new houses, the increased demand would send raw materials for houses skyrocketing. We saw during the pandemic how when the supply chain for pinch, and wood prices increased, builders pulled back. I don't see the issue with companies exploring manufactured homes again as the way to get more houses built.

This just seems like an overly flippant way to approach the article.

It is like dismissing an article on a breakthrough in nuclear fusion because solar and wind are relatively cheaper.

So what

Did you even read the article?

The title just seems like more of a hook to read readers. Not asserting that 3-D printed tech is the answer.

It is mostly about emerging technology in a market. For homebuilders to get homes built. Not a public policy solution for the housing crisis

The people associated with the company make lofty claims but the author discusses the topic in a very honest way.

I didn't read the article.

The headline was funny to me because I took the headline at face value.

if the article is not proposing it as a solution to the housing crisis, like the headline says

that's cool, headlines can be misleading. the headline taken at face value is silly. but if you're saying it's a provocative headline to a more nuanced argument that's cool.

Furthermore, resources to build houses are not infinite. If everywhere deregulated zoning laws, and the federal government invested in building g new houses, the increased demand would send raw materials for houses skyrocketing. We saw during the pandemic how when the supply chain for pinch, and wood prices increased, builders pulled back. I don't see the issue with companies exploring manufactured homes again as the way to get more houses built.

This just seems like an overly flippant way to approach the article.

It is like dismissing an article on a breakthrough in nuclear fusion because solar and wind are relatively cheaper.

It just seems like a silly objection to the article.

Im aware that resources are not infinite.
The principle cause of the housing crisis is policy. that's the main bottleneck. there are other bottlenecks and factors of course.

but the headline (taken at face value) reads like a "aside from that misses Lincoln how was the play " hence why i found it funny.

but if youre saying the article is more nuanced than the headline suggest, then perhaps ill read it.

Container homes are also a great idea. All of these ideas have already come to fruition.

It’s basically an “inflation” crisis. Not a housing crisis though. Plenty dwellings available…. Everything is just overpriced and not worth it.

702519B8-4305-49EC-B6DA-D2F8D9270CBF.jpeg
59B9A594-2AAF-44F6-A470-EC1F28C69300.jpeg

Ummmmm….

Those 3-D printed homes are actually a great idea. I do construction work. Cinderblocks/rebar and this are great for the Industry.

You know how many pre-fab buildings and homes are already in existence!???

In Toronto for example it's illegal to build anything other than a single family home on like 80% of the land.

and where it is legal the amount regulatory delays on just the design phase are extremely onerous.

If I had a magic machine that could generate homes instantly, we'd still have a housing crisis.

I agree with osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh , fundamentally this is a public policy problem

Better supply chains, more investment from governments, and a better tax code would help, but this is a classic 80/20 situation

Reforming zoning laws, and the effects it has on supply is what is really driving the crisis

That needs to be addressed so emerging technologies have the room to deliver the most benefits to consumers (builders and buyers). Instead of trying to bring the country up to an acceptable baseline of supply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom