Mid90's by Jonah Hill

solewoman

Staff member
In 1990s Los Angeles, a 13-year-old spends his summer navigating between a troubled home life and a crew of new friends he meets at a skate shop.

Checked this out this weekend. Gave me a KIDS vibe. The scene with carmichael was the funniest. The ending was weak but I liked the movie. Even more props with the shoes, clothes, scene and music nostalgia

Thoughts...

Yep.

Always works
20190122_231200.jpg

I lived in Ventura from 97-99 and skating was life there. Loitering, watching 411 tapes, skating and mischief was everyday. I never rode a school bus til I moved back east.

WoW :lol:

——————-

My daughter and I peeped it. The movie really didn’t have a plot :lol:

^ yeah i was like what the heck at the end...?
The big bro was so mean. I just knew when he hit his head and took his shirt off they were going to see all his bruises.

^ yeah i was like what the heck at the end...?
The big bro was so mean. I just knew when he hit his head and took his shirt off they were going to see all his bruises.

It was funny that he got chumped out...

So was ‘********’ (Fudgeshiih) black?

I’m shcoked Ray didn’t tel him no...since he was speaking up for everything else.

I’m shcoked Ray didn’t tel him no...since he was speaking up for everything else.

I don't think so, but from the way it was framed it was like he was mixed.

Yeah he was definitely mixed. Remember 4th grader was asking what it’s like to be black

This movie wasn't for everyone. I think you appreciate it more if you were young in the 90's or are young now.

Some of the people in the movies didn't seem to get it.

I just finished this minutes ago with my friend.

This movie is very impressive. Very nuanced, so much can be "heard" in the moments without dialogue.

I get the feeling Jonah Hill wanted to make a Cali equivalent of "Kids", and he did a very good job doing so.

A funny note: that "Teachers hungry.." thread? My boy (another NT'er) and I were discussing what posesses these teachers to take advantage. I didn't fully get it until I saw a particular scene in this film and discussed how it relates to that thread with the homie.

I get that "Kids" did it first, but this was a much more concise presentation by far.

If anybody has Kanopy, it’s up on Kanopy now. I missed the chance to see in theater when it was out but I did cop the Blu-Ray. I didn’t relate to the skating and Cali setting but I definitely remember what it was like looking up to an older relative as far as fashion and Hip Hop is concerned. That opening scene when he stepped into his brother’s room reminded me of when I used to visit my older cousin’s in the Bronx and would see what brands they were wearing, what albums they had. Pretty much around the same time as the movie.

Facts.

Disney’s rendition on Kids.

It was cool but it was missing that oomph to take it to the next level.

Solid directorial debut, though.

Thats the thing though, I dont even think Jonah was trying to take it there.

I really think the movie was part love letter to the 90s hip hop/Cali skaters and a good deal of some of his experiences growing up.

He talked about that. When promoting the movie. Some of that stuff with the kid was Jonah (trying to make friends and be down the the older kids at the skate shop, etc.) Doubt there was any dark super violent foul **** going on in Jonah's life close to Kids. I don't even think the skating, falling off the roof and cracking his head even happened to Jonah :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom