Mid90's by Jonah Hill

Thats the thing though, I dont even think Jonah was trying to take it there.

I really think the movie was part love letter to the 90s hip hop/Cali skaters and a good deal of some of his experiences growing up.

He talked about that. When promoting the movie. Some of that stuff with the kid was Jonah (trying to make friends and be down the the older kids at the skate shop, etc. Doubt there was any dark super violent foul **** going on in Jonah's life close to Kids. I don't even think the skating, falling off the roof and cracking his head even happened to Jonah :lol:

Jonah's dad is a well-known Hollywood accountant. He grew up in opulence and luxury.

Dr. Dre and Adam Levine are his clients among other very famous people.

Jonah did have a horrific accident in a car in high school though. Notice that one of his entire arms is badly scared and disfigured.

I liked this film for what it was. No need to compare it to Kids, which is outstanding in its own right.

Last edited:
Jonah brought the Kids comparison upon himself.

A premise based on the look into the lives of a group of teenage skater kids set in an urban environment in the 90's was going to draw comparisons no matter what. Then throw in the Easter egg cameo of the director or writer or whatever he was from Kids into the movie and of course people are going to draw the parallels.

That doesn't mean it takes away from the fact that it was an ode to the 90's and his experiences and desires growing up. It can be both.

Back
Top Bottom