Mike Greenberg thinks the NFL will fold in under 30 years

Here's the thing and I forgot who brought it up.

These players KNOW what they are getting into, they know every time they step onto the field they might no come back regular, no one is forcing them, how can they sue for injuries when they willingly and knowingly took an at risk job.

And the funny part is majority would do it again :lol:

My little cousin is 10 and just played his first year. Dominated simply from picking up things he had watched from TV. From day one the coaches couldn't believe it was first year. His ability to cut, change direction, the physicality he played with...were all on another level from the rest of the kids. Tried to Sean Taylor some kid down in Florida and got a concussion. Now my aunt is seriously not letting him play until high school 
mean.gif

A lot of football players at top theirs schools are treated like cattle, just grazing in the NCAA until a NFL team comes along and picks them up to use.

But

But

There are tons of perks to being a college footballer, to compare them to slaves or to say there are not get a good deal is ridiculous. Maybe some should be getting a better one but these students are getting a good deal.

-Free education (**** what anyone says these is a big perk, dudes just don't take advantage of it. Instead of majoring in something that can get them in the future they major, the major in some BS so they can get easy As and stay eligible.
-Free torturing for classes
-Free clothes
-Free food
-Perks at local bars/restaurants/clubs
-Being able to get a job at a moments notice to get some extra pocket change, most of the time for doing nothing
-Unlimited supply of yambs. Of wide varieties

All these perks are not universal but dudes at major programs get most of them. But like I said, the biggest perk with is the education is treated like a hinderance to playing football instead of something getting in the way of football. Players, parents and coaches need a serious attitude adjustment

-I wouldn't let my son play football. Sport is too violent for me to be comfortable taking that risk. But the NFL isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. There is still a abundance of players

There will always be players but it will look like the UFL. People aren't going to pay the big bucks to watch CUSA football every Sunday. Top talent will play other sports.

im not sure this has been discussed already. but the folks (on tv) suggest goin back to leather helmets to stop the helmet to helmet stuff.

but to me it seems the head hittin the ground cause many concussions and #'s would skyrocket due to that.

what yall think?

im not sure this has been discussed already. but the folks (on tv) suggest goin back to leather helmets to stop the helmet to helmet stuff.

but to me it seems the head hittin the ground cause many concussions and #'s would skyrocket due to that.

what yall think?

I think it's a good idea. The New Yorker article about concussions that blew up this topic a few years ago basically said that the strength of the force of these impacts is so much that it doesn't matter what kind of helmet you have, it's not going to protect you. So if that's the case, leather helmets can't be used as weapons and that seems like it WOULD make a difference.

My little cousin is 10 and just played his first year. Dominated simply from picking up things he had watched from TV. From day one the coaches couldn't believe it was first year. His ability to cut, change direction, the physicality he played with...were all on another level from the rest of the kids. Tried to Sean Taylor some kid down in Florida and got a concussion. Now my aunt is seriously not letting him play until high school 
mean.gif

What are you shaking your head at?

Back in the day when I had already played football for like 3 years, my Dad all of a sudden said I couldn't play. I was so upset...Crying, yelling, stomping, but he never gave in. I remember picking daisies when the HC of the team I was supposed to be on asked my why I wasn't playing. Apparently, he was in the Navy with my Dad and convinced him to let me play.

I still have never asked him why he didn't want me playing and it's not like my Dad discourages sports. Definitely the toughest, gruffest, most sports-involved person I will ever know. Thankfully I played that year because I have no idea how the course of my life would be different. I went on to play college ball so a lot of my decisions were based around the sport. Had that not been in my life, I'm curious as to what would be. I just wonder if this is why he didn't want me playing. I've definitely had my share of head knockers, but not nearly at the level and speed that you see in the NFL.

People KNOW the risks involved with playing the sport. Even with preventive measures being taken to make the game safer, it's still a contact sport at the end of the day and injuries WILL happen. If you work in any profession where there are risks involved (police, fire department, military, coal mining, etc), what do you expect? American LOVES football. For every kid who doesn't want to play (or parents who won't let them), there are 10 others who will.

Once again the ones that do should pay the players.
And how is that going to balance? Only a handful of schools can? So how can the NCAA allow only them to pay?

There's no answer or resolution.
The NCAA is an archaic establishment and shouldn't exist as is.

College sports is a free farm system for the pro leagues.  Players CAN'T get the same types of education and life experience that regular students get A. because they simply don't have the time or freedom and B. the majority of excellent D1 athletes (the ones who might go pro some day) come from low income communities and CAN'T afford to care about school as much as the next kid because graduating from Tennessee and becoming a state prosecutor isn't a realistic life goal for them.  Most of these kids didn't excel in school prior to college (partly because of environment, partly because their focus was on sports, partly because they just aren't as educationally gifted) so to expect them to balance prepping for games with heavy course loads in the majors that will make them serious money post-grad is ridiculous.

They go to college to get bigger and faster and more skilled so they can go earn millions in the pros.  That's it.

A budding fashion designer, lawyer, musician, artist, etc. can make money in paid internships and leave and start their profession whenever they want.  But the NFL and NBA can tell an 18 year old who could play RIGHT NOW (Jadeveon Clowney, Brandon Jennings) that they can't go pro while making uncounted millions off hyping their soon to be professional status, getting a free minor league system by way of college athletics, and pretending it's for the benefit of the kids?  What benefit does a kid who stays in school for 3 years beating up their body (we'll ignore that most pro careers in the nfl and nba last only 3 years) gain?  Where are those concerned leagues when these same players can't walk later in life and have to sue for health coverage?

AJ Green loses ineligibility when he sells a game worn jersey, but later that same season UGa sells a signed AJ jersey for thousands.

You don't see the hypocrisy and wrongness in the current system?

I love my son and i'm not trying to make his life any shorter than it already is. Closet he'll come to football is flag football and TV.

The NCAA is an archaic establishment and shouldn't exist as is.

College sports is a free farm system for the pro leagues. Players CAN'T get the same types of education and life experience that regular students get A. because they simply don't have the time or freedom and B. the majority of excellent D1 athletes (the ones who might go pro some day) come from low income communities and CAN'T afford to care about school as much as the next kid because graduating from Tennessee and becoming a state prosecutor isn't a realistic life goal for them.  Most of these kids didn't excel in school prior to college (partly because of environment, partly because their focus was on sports, partly because they just aren't as educationally gifted) so to expect them to balance prepping for games with heavy course loads in the majors that will make them serious money post-grad is ridiculous.

They go to college to get bigger and faster and more skilled so they can go earn millions in the pros.  That's it.

A budding fashion designer, lawyer, musician, artist, etc. can make money in paid internships and leave and start their profession whenever they want. But the NFL and NBA can tell an 18 year old who could play RIGHT NOW (Jadeveon Clowney, Brandon Jennings) that they can't go pro while making uncounted millions off hyping their soon to be professional status, getting a free minor league system by way of college athletics, and pretending it's for the benefit of the kids? What benefit does a kid who stays in school for 3 years beating up their body (we'll ignore that most pro careers in the nfl and nba last only 3 years) gain? Where are those concerned leagues when these same players can't walk later in life and have to sue for health coverage?

AJ Green loses ineligibility when he sells a game worn jersey, but later that same season UGa sells a signed AJ jersey for thousands.

You don't see the hypocrisy and wrongness in the current system?

Thank you

You knocked it out of the park

Last edited:
This thread for seriously derailed by talking about college kids :smh:

It was such a good thread before all that BS "slave" "paying college kids" talk.

Double J. What happens when the research shows its a certainty you will suffer not just a risk? The fearmongering hasn't begun yet. The NFL is not trying to protect themselves from ghosts. They know more than they admit.

Last edited:
I can see the lawsuits possibly being in the billions.......That will most definitely hurt the NFL. Thing is though, you knew there was a potential for injury everytime you took the field so I don't necessarily agree with the lawsuits.

The canary in the coal mine will be when the Terelle Pryor's of the world start picking basketball or baseball instead of football. And it wont be for their love of the game.

It will be because they don't want to be the next Jahvid Best. Totally "healthy" and unable to play cause doctors wont clear them.

Last edited:
All of this "they know what they sign up for and the risks." The real question is, "do they"? Does the NFL honestly give detailed and accurate info on the dangers and repercussions of professional football? That is what will have to be answered with these suits

dmxfury, do you honestly think if they DID give accurate warnings it'd keep most people from playing?

if you're poor and a top prospect and your options are live til you're 72 or possibly make millions, set your family up for generations and die when you're 50 that most players would balk at the opportunity?

the more players move to other sports, the bigger the contracts for those who agree to play will be.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, but is it part of their duty and obligation to give the facts? Then employees can decide from there. I don't know but I'm sure that needs answered in all of this

dmxfury, do you honestly think if they DID give accurate warnings it'd keep most people from playing?

if you're poor and a top prospect and your options are live til you're 72 or possibly make millions, set your family up for generations and die when you're 50 that most players would balk at the opportunity?

the more players move to other sports, the bigger the contracts for those who agree to play will be.

Ask Jahvid Best if he wants to play...

Doctors will not clear him. And Doctors are going to become more and more skittish about clearing people as it becomes more mainstream.

The NFL is not going to strong arm people into playing hurt anymore because of the lawsuits.

It is not up to the players like you make it seem. The damage done by concussions is the damage done by concussions.

You acknowledge the supply side of the demand curve but you are ignoring the effects less talent will have on demand. People demand Adrian Peterson they do not demand Shonne Greene.

Last edited:
Double J. What happens when the research shows its a certainty you will suffer not just a risk? The fearmongering hasn't begun yet. The NFL is not trying to protect themselves from ghosts. They know more than they admit.

OK, then we need to fold ALL sports where there is any sort of contact involved.

I get that there are risks...so should EVERYONE who signs up to play the game. It's a choice.

Last edited:
OK, then we need to fold ALL sports where there is any sort of contact involved.

I get that there are risks...so should EVERYONE who signs up to play the game. It's a choice.

I am not saying that the NFL is going to be shut down by some third party.

I am saying that the players do not realize how much risk they are actually taking as alluded to by dmxfury.

Once they become aware of the risks they are actually taking (I am obviously speculating it will be much higher than it is assumed to be) are MUCH higher people will choose....differently.

I do not think the NFL is taking precaution to be overprotective or proactive. I believe the NFL is reacting to what they "know".

They are already doing PR campaigns for a problem that isnt really a problem? Dont believe it, bro.

Last edited:

Ask Jahvid Best if he wants to play...

Doctors will not clear him. And Doctors are going to become more and more skittish about clearing people as it becomes more mainstream.

The NFL is not going to strong arm people into playing hurt anymore because of the lawsuits.

It is not up to the players like you make it seem. The damage done by concussions is the damage done by concussions.

You acknowledge the supply side of the demand curve but you are ignoring the effects less talent will have on demand. People demand Adrian Peterson they do not demand Shonne Greene.
The NFL pro bowl just scored a 7.7 rating (higher than the world series' rating.)

People still watch pre season football and the combine.

Less talent won't change viewership by any notable amount.  there's demand for football.  that demand won't wane and there will always be players willing to step up. 

And dmx i do agree that information need be provided to the players, i guess my point was, even with this information do you think the nfl will have trouble filling rosters?

Back
Top Bottom