Mike23 hit with Cease and Desist

Posted at NiceKicks.com.

mike-23-cease-and-desist-1.jpg

Nearly 3 years ago MIKE, formally known as Mike 23 Inc., was born with one goal in mind - to provide the market with what was missing. When Scott Nelson, founder of MIKE, was asked what was a driving force of inspiration, he replied "the greatest man to ever lace up a pair of sneakers and play the game of basketball, Michael Jeffrey Jordan" as he said in an interview with FreshnessMag in 2005.

Famed for "bringing crack back", MIKE has gained major attention over the past several years with appearances in culture and art magazines such as Mass Appeal and Juxtopoz, but also in mainstream magazines including SLAM, XXL, and Complex. His brand's use of elephant print caught major attention from sneakerheads, Jordan enthusiasts, and celebrities too.

Last month, I had a brief visit with Scott on the floor of MAGIC in Las Vegas, but ironically the same day that I met with him and saw his upcoming products, Nike's legal team dated a Cease & Desist letter that was received by Scott after the trade show.

The letter acknowledges that Scott Nelson has described MIKE as a tribute to Jordan, but continues: "Nike and Converse hereby demand that you and Mike23 Inc. cease and desist from all infringing use of any mark, logo or design that infringes Nike and Converse's rights." Further, the demand requests an "orderly withdrawal of all infringing products from the market," and that Mike23.com be "disabled immediately, at least to the extent that any page shows or references an infringing mark, logo or design or references Michael Jordan."

Scott has indicated that he has is in no position to wage a legal fight with Nike, and even if victorious, most of his retailers hold accounts with Nike or Jordan that they would not be willing to jeopardize.

While we are not looking to side one way or the other, we do have to pose one valid question - why after nearly 3 years of active commerce was he sent the C&D and not when his business began? Great read about this topic on murketing as well as an interview with Scott from two years ago.

Whatever... I always thought of this brand as an unoriginal hypebeast rip off of JB. I wonder if MIKE 23 made any money during it's three year run???

if he was smart he'd have seen this coming and grabbed as much cash as he could before they shut him down.

Using the name Mike & the number 23 wasn't the problem, I believe the logo he chose was what made Nike took legal action. That is a silhoutte of MJdunking from either a poster or promo card from the Jordan 6.

I still need a pair of MIKE Chucks
For real

But I was under the impression Mike was on Nike's radar ever since they debut'd. Last I read from reliable sources on the forum (IIRC) is JB is NOTkeen on any brand or "inspired by" brands that make "inspired by" products and Nike/JB was gonna send C & D's to them all.

Is PFK next?

That would be interesting considering who started it.

To me it just seems like Nike is taking out these smaller brands who are CONNECTING to "their" consumer, when nobody even considers Nike apparel forcasual wear.

Not to mention, the "sneakerhead" inspired tees coming out are entirely wack.

"WHITE AF1 CAN JUMP"?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by stickinkicks

so does this mean that gourmet line will be going down too?

nope. it's a weird thing with footwear. you can't put a patent on a silhouette of a shoe, hence bape, pro-keds forces, etc.

I see where Nike is coming from but damn it isn't like Mike23 hurt the sales of Jordan Brand Apparel or Nike gear. But that's business.

why Nike would go after this small time operation (there are 2 versions of "mike chucks" and i dont think they are ranking in 7 figures or anything),when BAPE has COMPLETELY stolen the Air Force 1 and Air Max designs and makes truckloads of cash. This is way ridiculous.

Originally Posted by yoyosh

why Nike would go after this small time operation (there are 2 versions of "mike chucks" and i dont think they are ranking in 7 figures or anything), when BAPE has COMPLETELY stolen the Air Force 1 and Air Max designs and makes truckloads of cash. This is way ridiculous.

cuz nike instead went at bape's throat by designin patent nike air forces for 2 years till bape went away.

I'm surprised it took Nike so long to do it. From beginning I was surprised how come this brand can operate. He was using Nike font on Mike logo, Jordansillhouette and elephant/crackle print on his product. Regardless of how much he loves MJ it's just copy to me. I must say I did not like 90% of hisdesigns to be honest. I respected his hustle, but it wasn't appealing visually to me at all. He's seems to be nice guy, but what did you expect? Iremember talking to him about that aspect some time ago and he said no, it's all love on swoosh part. I guess the climate had changed.

I don't really think it's about him talking the money from Nike, since his products are not competing with Nike/JB totally different consumer. He wasjust using not his designs. It was the case when Stussy sued Fresh Jive few years ago over the usage of their script logo.

What makes me wonder what happens with other "brands" "inspired" by Nike/Jordan or the ones using image of sneaker on their tees etc? Whythey went only at him? Look at Gabriel Urist jewelry he doesn't do Nike/Jordans for some time no more. Gourmet is next?

Quite curious how this will end up. Maybe JB should buy out Mike brand, that would be funny. Eventhough Mike stuff was weak it was better, than JB clothing is.

Paix
c.

thats to bad I was going to get the Mike cement shirt when the 3s come out in october.
I was also fillen the Cement hoody.Well JB needs to come out with better Ts and jackets with better
Quality.

Back
Top Bottom