Milk: The Harvey Milk story. First openly gay official elected in U.S. history.

I saw this movie the past weekend in San Francisco. It's the story of Harvey Milk, the first openly homosexual person elected to public office. He waselected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors (a group of officials that vote on issues pertaining to the city) in 1977. He was arguably the country'sforemost "gay rights" advocate, passing several stringent gay rights laws that barred discrimination based on sexual preference in labor practicesand personal lives.

He gained national spotlight fighting against an anti-gay rights movement headed by country-singer Anita Bryant and Christian Fundamentalist California SenatorJohn Briggs, as well as the gay political establishment in San Francisco that Milk perceived to be shutting him out.

San Francisco Mayor Moscone appointed Milk as a commissioner, another first in the country, and Milk was poised to become the country's first homosexualappointee to California State Assembly.

Dan White, a fellow supervisor, had an antagonistic relationship with Milk, and was notoriously competitive and incapable of handling defeat. In 1978, facingresignation as a supervisor, White entered San Francisco City Hall through the basement and proceeded to shoot and kill both Mayor Moscone and Harvey Milk.

White was sentenced to five years by a sympathetic white, Catholic jury (gays and minorities were excluded from the jury pool). His attorney's"Twinkie Defense" maintained White had diminished mental capacity due to a junk food binge the night before.

The White Night Riots following the verdict included over 3,000 rioters that burned SF Police cars and attempted to burn down city hall. Retaliating policestormed gay bars in the Castro District beating citizens at random. In 1985 Dan White committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisioning - he had run a gardenhose from his exhaust pipe into his garaged car.

Excerpts from Milk's famous Hope Speech:
,br>
On this anniversary of Stonewall, I ask my gay sisters and brothers to make the commitment to fight. For themselves, for their freedom, for their country ... We will not win our rights by staying quietly in our closets ... We are coming out to fight the lies, the myths, the distortions. We are coming out to tell the truths about gays, for I am tired of the conspiracy of silence, so I'm going to talk about it. And I want you to talk about it. You must come out. Come out to your parents, your relatives.

And the young gay people in the Altoona, Pennsylvanias and the Richmond, Minnesotas who are coming out and hear Anita Bryant in television and her story. The only thing they have to look forward to is hope. And you have to give them hope. Hope for a better world, hope for a better tomorrow, hope for a better place to come to if the pressures at home are too great. Hope that all will be all right. Without hope, not only gays, but the blacks, the seniors, the handicapped, the us'es, the us'es will give up. And if you help elect to the central committee and other offices, more gay people, that gives a green light to all who feel disenfranchised, a green light to move forward. It means hope to a nation that has given up, because if a gay person makes it, the doors are open to everyone.

I cannot prevent anyone from getting angry, or mad, or frustrated. I can only hope that they'll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects ... I hope that every professional gay will say 'enough', come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.

800px-Mural_of_Harvey_Milk_in_former_Castro_Camera.JPG

The "twinkie" defense was a small part of the entire defense the media ran with.

I hope people aren't going to assume White killed Milk because he was gay, either.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

The "twinkie" defense was a small part of the entire defense the media ran with.

I hope people aren't going to assume White killed Milk because he was gay, either.
That's how they made it sound when it was on EXTRA last Friday morning
ohwell.gif

I hope you're not suggesting it wasn't a motive, at least. The murder was premeditated and targeted Milk and Moscone specifically. Milk'sassassination came at the zenith of his political popularity and a time of unprecedented clout within the gay rights movement. White's actions werepolitically motivated, and his lenient sentence reflect the political system freely oppressing homosexuals at the time.

Politically motivated, that makes more sense now that I finish reading. Want to see the movie so bad. junk food binge, jury, five years for a mayor and acommissioner. boo

Originally Posted by KingLouisXIV

I hope you're not suggesting it wasn't a motive, at least. The murder was premeditated and targeted Milk and Moscone specifically. Milk's assassination came at the zenith of his political popularity and a time of unprecedented clout within the gay rights movement. White's actions were politically motivated, and his lenient sentence reflect the political system freely oppressing homosexuals at the time.
His sentence isn't mutually exclusive with his motive, though. What is often overlooked is what Dianne Feinstein mentioned about how Whitewould often meet with Milk IN the Castro for coffee on essentially a weekly basis.

I feel White killed both of them based on feeling like he was at the end of his rope both financially and politically and Moscone rescinding on giving back theseat to White was the straw that broke the camel's back. He later stated that he had plans to kill Willie Brown and another woman whose name escapes me.So would he have killed Willie Brown because he's black? Clearly not. The political ramifications Milk set forth are an issue separate from his sexuality,although his sexuality may have influenced the politics.

His sentence isn't mutually exclusive with his motive, though. What is often overlooked is what Dianne Feinstein mentioned about how White would often meet with Milk IN the Castro for coffee on essentially a weekly basis.

Milk and White may been civil as colleagues, but their relationship ended after Milk refused to vote down a mental hospital proposed for White's district.From then on, White refused to talk directly to Milk, using his aides as go-betweens.

I feel White killed both of them based on feeling like he was at the end of his rope both financially and politically and Moscone rescinding on giving back the seat to White was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Financial hardship and depression from losing his job may have been factors that drove White to murderous desperation, but that doesn't negate hisintentions in assassinating Milk. White was frustrated with Milk's political success, which was obviously due to his advocacy of equal rights. Those inWhite's campaign frequently described White as an egoist, adept at holding grudges and clearly heterosexist.
The political ramifications Milk set forth are an issue separate from his sexuality, although his sexuality may have influenced the politics.

This is exactly it. Milk fiercely stated that the fight for equal rights must acknowledge the oppressed - homosexuals. He frequently called for all homosexualsto assert their right to live their lives freely, and to come out of the closet to people in their lives. Milk decried the silence surrounding gay rights, andurged homosexuals to publicly claim their equal rights as citizens under the law.

Milk wasn't fighting for an "issue." He was fighting for people's lives. This is why he became such a martyrized figure.

Originally Posted by KingLouisXIV

His sentence isn't mutually exclusive with his motive, though. What is often overlooked is what Dianne Feinstein mentioned about how White would often meet with Milk IN the Castro for coffee on essentially a weekly basis.

Milk and White may been civil as colleagues, but their relationship ended after Milk refused to vote down a mental hospital proposed for White's district. From then on, White refused to talk directly to Milk, using his aides as go-betweens.

I feel White killed both of them based on feeling like he was at the end of his rope both financially and politically and Moscone rescinding on giving back the seat to White was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Financial hardship and depression from losing his job may have been factors that drove White to murderous desperation, but that doesn't negate his intentions in assassinating Milk. White was frustrated with Milk's political success, which was obviously due to his advocacy of equal rights. Those in White's campaign frequently described White as an egoist, adept at holding grudges and clearly heterosexist.
The political ramifications Milk set forth are an issue separate from his sexuality, although his sexuality may have influenced the politics.

This is exactly it. Milk fiercely stated that the fight for equal rights must acknowledge the oppressed - homosexuals. He frequently called for all homosexuals to assert their right to live their lives freely, and to come out of the closet to people in their lives. Milk decried the silence surrounding gay rights, and urged homosexuals to publicly claim their equal rights as citizens under the law.

Milk wasn't fighting for an "issue." He was fighting for people's lives. This is why he became such a martyrized figure.
Right and wouldn't that indicate more so a political reason to kill him more so than his sexuality?

It was a great movie. Sean Penn was incredible. He should win best actor. It was a very interesting story. I highly recommend it.

This movie will win "Best Movie" by the Academy to make up for the gay marriage thing.

I might have to check it out.

Milk will be taking either Best picture or best actor. Def. not taking both, the other will go to Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

How was James Franco's performance in the movie?

I saw the previews for this a few months back. I ought to check it out. Storyline seems interesting.

This movie was fantastic. Told the story very well.

Its somewhat funny how some people can say that the gay rights movement hasn't been around long enough or hasn't endured enough hardship to bedeserving of anything while being completely oblivious to these events in the 1970's.

Gus Van Sant is a
pimp.gif
director. I'll def. catch this when it comes outon video if I dont see it in theaters.

Definitely would like to check this out.

Does anyone in the San Francisco/Bay Area know whether Milk has any landmark/place dedicated to him? Reason I ask is because prior to hearing about this movie,I had never heard of either Milk or Mayor Moscone, but I knew that Moscone must have been pretty important since he has several buildings named after him. Iwas born in '89 so please excuse my ignorance.

DL, I'm willing to bet that there's murals and other art dedicated to him in the Castro...however, I did come across this:
[h2]Harvey Milk Statue To Be Unveiled At SF City Hall[/h2]SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) ― A statue of San Francisco's first gay supervisor is going to be unveiled during a gala party at City Hall this month.

The project to place the memorial of former Supervisor Harvey Milk is a joint undertaking between the Harvey Milk City Hall Memorial Committee and the San Francisco Arts Commission.

It is reportedly the first such public/private partnership of its kind.

The effort to honor the politician began in 2003 when the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a resolution supporting the creation of such a memorial.

Milk advanced the struggle for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights by becoming one of the first openly gay elected officials in the country, winning a seat on the board of supervisors in 1977.

Less than a year after taking office, he was assassinated by a political opponent.

The statue is being unveiled May 22, which would have been his 78th birthday.

I had to grave dig just to say I finally saw this and its amazing. I recommend it to anyone.. All the actors did such an amazing job portraying theircharacters and it was very inspiring. Would be lying if I said I didn't walk out that theater with some tears on my face. 2 thumbs up for Gus Van Sant!

Back
Top Bottom