misconceptions about your city

anyone that says Austin >>> Dallas or Houston needs to get slapped with a cold wet towel.

I think Dallas has Houston by the slightest because of the job opportunities and upscale spots...

Houston has more biddies... yambs out there are gorgeous...

but there are many upscale places around Dallas... not as many in Houston...

Houston is more diverse, but Dallas has more choices within varieties for eateries.

dfw is a lot bigger than greater Houston area... don't know why people are surprised when I tell them that...

takes me an 45 min to get from one side of Houston to another...

east Dallas (mesquite Garland) to west fort worth would take 1:30 easy.

no, people don't ride horses or talk real country in either for the most part... its a different kind of drawl.

places like east Texas have the "accent" most people think of when they think of Texas...

Manhattan is expensive, but aren't the wages higher there?

not really. depends on your industry honestly. i make 47 but my firm is in the architecture and engineering design biz. and im almost 1.5 yrs.
Are you Ted Mosby? 
nerd.gif

who the **** is ted mosby?

I was surprised by how many black folks there were in Sac.

Probably has the highest % of blacks in CA after Oakland. I just assumed it was maibly white hicks...mainly bc of the cowbell at the Kings games :lol:

Not saying its not true, but people get surprised when I tell them Oakland is like 40% white, and there are less black people than white people in Oakland.

all the hipsters movin to west oakland 
eyes.gif
Im used to it now but when I first moved back to Oakland in 2011 after living in Socal for a couple years and saw all these white guys and girls on skateboards and bicycles pushing up and down Mandela Parkway at all times of day/night I hit the weebay.gif face. 
roll.gif

Last edited:
Virginia Facts:

Virginia is the start of the south.
The only places to visit in Virginia are Northern Virginia, Richmond, maybe VA Beach. Thats it. Everywhere else is country, farms, and rednecks.

Nova:

People from Nova are generally spoiled, the quality of living up there is unrealistic with everywhere else in the US which generally makes the people have uptight attitude if they don't get 5-star service everywhere. Aside from that you have awesome shopping and DC right there so theres always something to do. There are majority Whites/Asian/Latinos here. Oh, snows like a muthersuck and humid summers. Terrible traffic but good public transport into/around DC.

Richmond:

Smaller city but with an extremely diverse demographic in part due to VCU taking over the city. There are rednecks but they are few and far between because of the wide demographic (Asians, Whites, Latinos, African Americans and Arabs are all here.) and theres plenty of nice people. Places to shop and hang but it's not overcrowded and traffic is mild at it's worst. There are some hood areas and plenty of great areas. Club scene is small, but when college semesters are going on everywhere is packed so it makes up for it. Surprisingly not that much snow and humid summers. Do know, if you don't have a circle of friends to hang with it can get boring.

VA Beach:

Go to the beach, otherwise theres no point in being there. Water is cold as ice tho and there are plenty of rednecks out there, so if your a minority don't be surprised if you hear a slur or two.
Nah son. Never have met anyone openly racist, you should be fine if you're a minority here. We got people from all over though.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance but that's my perception of Bmore, are there any nice spots?? It doesn't seem like DC where there's good and bad it just seems bad
laugh.gif
Theres a bunch of nice spots in baltimore but the problem is there is just as many bad spots and sometimes the bad are is 2 blocks from the nice spot. You walk four blocks west of the stadiums and you  would be a area that is not so nice it all just depends on the type of person you are been in spots in bmore where i probably should not be but never had an issues unless you a try and act like a fool no ones gonig to bother you unless you just go into the totally wrong part of town.

But yea DC and Baltimore are 2 totally different places hell even once you leave baltimore 15 minutes south is a totally different area. Annapolis is 30 minutes south of baltimore and its a totally different feel it all just depends on what your looking for from your area.

Me i live in-between both citys so its nice to have a variety of choices on where to go out to. And i live probably 30-45 minutes outside DC depending on the traffic thats the nice thing about maryland theres literally different things to do in under 2 hrs drive in the whole state.

:lol: Oh they're there Currensy.

I remember back in 96' going there for a bowling tournament,before we even reached the hotel we were warned that if we decide to kick it outside or walk up the road to the store to make sure that we were with someone because things can get dicey due to the racism down there.

My boy and I walked up the road to the store and this truck rides by with a skinhead sticking out of it just screaming on us. You know good and DAMN well he wasn't saying "WELCOME TO VA BEACH... HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY!!!!".

I'm not saying it's to a level where crosses are being burned on lawns daily... but it's there.

Toronto..

not everyone is nice/kind.

But yall got some bad *** woman.

Best of any city I've been to and I've been to a few

all of this.

I was in the club and some BADD females were saying sorry for bumping into me.

I was like :wow: "how is this possible?"

in NY 6s look at you like you owe them a drink for making eye contact as they bump into you.

and the black/west indian chicks are sooooooo damn :smokin

Last edited:
i guess i constantly compare it to living in nyc. i feel the same way about philly, which in some ways is worse. but i go there all the time and ive come to realize a bunch of things i don't like about it. i.e. its a confusing area to navigate...getting rejected from buying booze because i have an out of state ID...i appreciate the small things tho, don't get me wrong. the air quality is way better up there, and subways are cleaner.

also the best bbq i've ever had in winthrop, ma.
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map dorchester is the best example.

it isn't the only city with segregation tho. ive experienced that with philadelphia, as heavy gentrification has changed many neighborhoods close to center city. and im sure LA has it also. hit the link to find out about ur area.
my friend went to MICA and said it was pretty bad down there. like every city tho, im sure there are nice neighborhoods.
Haha, obviously no city can be like NYC. personally, I prefer Boston. Idk, New York is too crowded for me. I ain't about that life. To each his own, I guess. Also don't get the misconception of Boston being segregated. I guess on the outskirts of the city (i.e Somerville, Medford, Everett) you could say that, but Boston itself is just as diverse as any other big city. 

Flint, MI

Yes, Flint can be a dangerous place, but if you know where you're supposed to be then you'll be fine. Everybody knows where crime occurs, the people who live there just cant escape I guess.

The sad thing about Flint is that it is literally a trap, or a "cycle to speak" where violence happens in neighborhoods where people come from family backgrounds in the car industry and never really got an education. The GM/Chrylser Crash really hurt a lot of people in the Flint/Detroit Region, but the crash was seen coming for years and people (especially black people) did not proactively adjust to basically to massive change. Call it a cultural circumcision

Flint used to be a booming city, its peak coming in the 70s when my parents, both Flint natives, were teenagers. It basically was a smaller detroit and the economy was crazy stable. You could make more money by going into the shop and building a retirement fund instead of going to college. Back then you trie to get into GM before you went to college or entered the military!

But anyway people from Flint still have a big-city mindset and I think that is why a city that has become such a sad story continues to produce strong human beings who fight through things because that is just how EVERYONE gets down in the Flint-area. Even the white collar professionals have a blue collar vibe because we all come from that background, that great history. Flint produces great people in all industries and I take pride that Im from there

People not from Michigan (ESPECIALLY in other regions of the country) think we are from Detroit. We *** wit the D but we are Fli-City.

Toronto..

not everyone is nice/kind.

But yall got some bad *** woman.

Best of any city I've been to and I've been to a few

all of this.

I was in the club and some BADD females were saying sorry for bumping into me.

I was like :wow: "how is this possible?"

in NY 6s look at you like you owe them a drink for making eye contact as they bump into you.

and the black/west indian chicks are sooooooo damn :smokin

hold up, girls are nice in toronto?! :wow: never been there guess i need to check it out.

i guess i constantly compare it to living in nyc. i feel the same way about philly, which in some ways is worse. but i go there all the time and ive come to realize a bunch of things i don't like about it. i.e. its a confusing area to navigate...getting rejected from buying booze because i have an out of state ID...i appreciate the small things tho, don't get me wrong. the air quality is way better up there, and subways are cleaner.

also the best bbq i've ever had in winthrop, ma.
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map dorchester is the best example.

it isn't the only city with segregation tho. ive experienced that with philadelphia, as heavy gentrification has changed many neighborhoods close to center city. and im sure LA has it also. hit the link to find out about ur area.

my friend went to MICA and said it was pretty bad down there. like every city tho, im sure there are nice neighborhoods.
Haha, obviously no city can be like NYC. personally, I prefer Boston. Idk, New York is too crowded for me. I ain't about that life. To each his own, I guess. Also don't get the misconception of Boston being segregated. I guess on the outskirts of the city (i.e Somerville, Medford, Everett) you could say that, but Boston itself is just as diverse as any other big city. 

may have to challenge you on that good brotha lol

my girl lives in malden so i travel there every other week or so. oddly there is a sizable minority community up there (especially haitian interestingly enough). somerville now that i think about it has a large brazillian population :evil:...that or tufts students and yuppies. and quincy has a stupid large asian community. stupid large.

but yea the further out from boston you go the whiter it gets (particularly north). but thats new england in general. when i head up to Maine to kick it at da homie's lake house, i get that "don't belong here" feel. like al sharpton at a republican rally.

now boston has it all, i won't deny that. from irish to haitian, to vienamese. but it ain't no queens, so, again, by comparison it seems less diverse. so far i am not 100% familiar with all the neighborhoods yet. but dorchester for example, i kno is very segregated. check out that link i posted for the ny times census map. dorchester ave is that Du Bois color line nyumsayin?

as far as boston being racist as sum1 mentioned before, it def has that history/stigma. but honestly, i've never encountered racism in any form, and im always token among my friends up there. and i think its great. people are nicer than in nyc, and it weirds me out, people being all polite n **** up there. i sound like a ahole but its true :lol:

NYC is too crowded and living in philly for 5 yrs or so and always being in boston, i can def cosign that. the subway and highway systems were NEVER designed for today's city population, so that traffic life is real, in and above ground, day AND night.

and i've found that most new englanders say they could never do NYC for that specific reason. they find it too overwhelming. if i never experienced philly or boston, id have no idea wtf you people were talking about, but those cities are less crowded and DEF more chill/easier to live. so i can see how nyc would be too much.

that $12 jordans imax tho :pimp:

Nah son. Never have met anyone openly racist, you should be fine if you're a minority here. We got people from all over though.

Really? That's surprising, I've been there my fair share of times and every time I've been there something prejudiced has always happened to me :smh:. I'll chalk it up to bad luck then.

Tucson, Arizona

Only misconception I can think of is people think Tucson is a small town out in the middle of the desert. Its a city of one million people 
laugh.gif

Oh and the coeds at the UA >>>>
I love visiting Tucson during the school year. I always have a good time when I'm down there.

I'll post one for Phoenix (East Valley) that is strictly MY view using misconceptions that I've heard from my family members that visit from the east and south.

-We are an actual city. Not cowboys and Indians in the sense that a lot of my family members thought of.

-I've always thought that there was a lot to do. I mostly stick to places that the college crowd is though so I have no idea for older crowds.

-People out here do love their guns, but as much as I am out during my daily life, I hardly seeing anyone using a holster to open carry. That doesn't mean people don't have them concealed, there just wasn't as many as my family thought they would see.

-To me, the people are friendly. All of my friends parents have been very friendly from the start. The girls in my area can be really mean/stuck up if you don't know them but once you do they're nothing but nice. None of the people I've seen talk tough really follow through with anything, but there are of course some CRAZY people out here.

-While not Phoenix specifically, it does snow fairly close to the valley. I go to school in Flagstaff and we get a good amount of snow every year.

Some true things that my family actually did get right.

-There are a lot of police, everywhere. It is very easy to get pulled over and I usually see 5-6 cars stopped on the freeway coming home weekend nights with people being tested for DUI's

-It's very hot during the summer. If your car is in the sun and you can't start the AC by the time your in it, you will be sweating. And you'll probably get burned by the car's parts.

While we are a city, it's a lot of dirt here, anyone who has flown in to Phoenix can definitely see how it is in the middle of a desert and ever expanding.

hold up, girls are nice in toronto?!
eek.gif
never been there guess i need to check it out.
may have to challenge you on that good brotha lol

my girl lives in malden so i travel there every other week or so. oddly there is a sizable minority community up there (especially haitian interestingly enough). somerville now that i think about it has a large brazillian population
devil.gif
...that or tufts students and yuppies. and quincy has a stupid large asian community. stupid large.

but yea the further out from boston you go the whiter it gets (particularly north). but thats new england in general. when i head up to Maine to kick it at da homie's lake house, i get that "don't belong here" feel. like al sharpton at a republican rally.

now boston has it all, i won't deny that. from irish to haitian, to vienamese. but it ain't no queens, so, again, by comparison it seems less diverse. so far i am not 100% familiar with all the neighborhoods yet. but dorchester for example, i kno is very segregated. check out that link i posted for the ny times census map. dorchester ave is that Du Bois color line nyumsayin?

as far as boston being racist as sum1 mentioned before, it def has that history/stigma. but honestly, i've never encountered racism in any form, and im always token among my friends up there. and i think its great. people are nicer than in nyc, and it weirds me out, people being all polite n **** up there. i sound like a ahole but its true
laugh.gif

NYC is too crowded and living in philly for 5 yrs or so and always being in boston, i can def cosign that. the subway and highway systems were NEVER designed for today's city population, so that traffic life is real, in and above ground, day AND night.

and i've found that most new englanders say they could never do NYC for that specific reason. they find it too overwhelming. if i never experienced philly or boston, id have no idea wtf you people were talking about, but those cities are less crowded and DEF more chill/easier to live. so i can see how nyc would be too much.

that $12 jordans imax tho
pimp.gif
Yo son, my girl lives in Malden too 
laugh.gif
 pretty diverse town and nice lil place, I wouldn't mind settling there when I get older. A lot quieter and calmer compared to Boston but got the orange line that goes straight into the city. 

Living in Boston most my life, I'd be lying if I told y'all I've never encountered any racism. It definitely happens, but rarely. (I'm asian for those wondering) Most the time it's some drunk white dudes in Dorchester trying to be smart *****es. 

Vancouver, Canada

Fact: there are very few African-american types for a diverse city of this nature

Vancouver, Canada

Fact: there are very few African-american types for a diverse city of this nature
I don't think there would be many African American types in Canada period

But I always had the feeling Vancouver didn't have many blacks, and they like it that way, when I get my bread up I'm going there to **** wit y'all hos, I seen some bad mfs from there

Back
Top Bottom