***MLB FEET AND EQUIPMENT 2017***NEW THREAD

Pretty disappointed if those are the new batting gloves from Nike... little to no change from previous years.

Is it just me or has UA been stepping up their game in baseball? I know Harper gets decked out because he's their guy like Cam and Curry in their respective sports but I feel like their ASG shoes were better than the Nike pack

This shirt is awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_3722.JPG
    IMG_3722.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 12
this might be heresy but nike seems like a clear number 3 to me behind UA and Adidas for baseball stuff.

Im loving UA recently. missed out on a pair of pro issued Epic BGs on The bay though :frown:

^, you say that and I tend to agree. I have noticed lately that a ton of Nike athletes have switched out of their Nike leather and going to other brands, most notably Mike Trout went back to Rawlings. How Nike let their premiere, best player in baseball, get away from using their own glove, is unfathomable to me. I mean, they released his glove, 27 of them, in a limited edition run, gave it a good amount of pub, and they still can't keep him. Matt Kemp's Sha Do glove, released with Trout's, he doesn't even use that anymore either, going to Rawlings. Cutch switched out of his Swingman glove for awhile, but is now back to it, Jay Bruce is out of his Nike, Jason Heyward switched his second year in the league, Matt Harvey switched as well, the list goes on and on. Its just odd and obviously does not bode well for their glove making going forward. The only other outfielders I can think of that still use Nike leather is Cargo and George Springer, using the Vapor.

^, you say that and I tend to agree. I have noticed lately that a ton of Nike athletes have switched out of their Nike leather and going to other brands, most notably Mike Trout went back to Rawlings. How Nike let their premiere, best player in baseball, get away from using their own glove, is unfathomable to me. I mean, they released his glove, 27 of them, in a limited edition run, gave it a good amount of pub, and they still can't keep him. Matt Kemp's Sha Do glove, released with Trout's, he doesn't even use that anymore either, going to Rawlings. Cutch switched out of his Swingman glove for awhile, but is now back to it, Jay Bruce is out of his Nike, Jason Heyward switched his second year in the league, Matt Harvey switched as well, the list goes on and on. Its just odd and obviously does not bode well for their glove making going forward. The only other outfielders I can think of that still use Nike leather is Cargo and George Springer, using the Vapor.

Nike gloves were never that good imo anyway. I can see why they switched to rawlings.

As for as other stuff .. UA and Adidas still got a long way to go. UA footwear is boring/ugly .. Adidas cleats are on the come up but overall in footwear id say Nike then NB, Adidas, UA

UA has always had good apparel

this might be heresy but nike seems like a clear number 3 to me behind UA and Adidas for baseball stuff.

Im loving UA recently. missed out on a pair of pro issued Epic BGs on The bay though :frown:

That's a bit of a stretch. UA has been coming on for a while now, but Adi is way, way behind. Baseball will almost certainly always be a niche category for them.

Rawlings is going to dominate the glove market regardless. Nike or even Wilson would have a long road to top them as the glove of choice in MLB. I was at a vendor show this week and Rawlings did a presentation showing their "slice of the pie" and it was a massive chunk of opening day starters. They especially have the shortstop position on absolute lock at the moment. Wilson is a clear number 2, the A2000 line has become very popular among the younger guys and it's fair to say that the 18 and under crowd isn't brand loyal to Rawlings like some of the older guys may have been. In Canada Wilson doesn't offer a custom program, but they are willing to go outside the box on stock product. The Cano teal, Brandon Phillips, various superskin models, and the DP15 is everywhere on fields around here.

New Balance has successfully penetrated the footwear market and it doesn't look like they are going anywhere.

For Batting Gloves, it seems like Franklin has a renewed commitment over the past few years as well. Adding a customizer, getting more PE / Signature cw's on the market, etc.

With all that being said, Nike is still right there in footwear and batting gloves. Multiple models each season to fit differing needs. Seems like they want to spend on the R&D for the trout line at the moment, with the Clipper and Vapor Ultrafly coming in behind that. They're getting a bit stale with their batting gloves which is disappointing - would like to see more PE colourways like they did 3-4 years ago. I will say that it's clear that the Swingman line is ready to die. No new product released this year, with nothing on the horizon by the looks of it.

doogie, you make a lot of great points. I never saw Nike being anything more than a distant competitor in the glove arena, it just surprised me how many Nike athletes after being with them for so long, switched to something different. UA does have a lot more guys, but I personally think their cleats are hideous and their glove designs are generic as well. adidas makes a lot better-looking cleats and BG's, but NB has comfort on lockdown. Nike is always going to be ahead of the game concerning cleats and BG's, even their sunglasses are doing well, a ton of guys wear them, second only to Oakley of course. I don't know why the Swingman line is dying, I've always liked the cleat and glove designs. Scarecrow, definitely the premium Japanese leather is awesome. I did like Nike's Diamond Elite line and even the synthetic Strobe line.

These Trouts are pretty clean. I like the camo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 2.21.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 2.21.01 PM.png
    748.7 KB · Views: 21
Cargo has the most Nike swag of any Nike baseball athlete, and yes, I am including Trout in there. From shades to fielding glove, BG's and wristbands, cleats and trainers, arm sleeves and protective gear, just insane stuff.

Ok now that you just posted those pics of Donaldson, I just noticed the last three games, he is wearing New Balance cleats!! Did Nike just lose another guy??

pm if you're interested in buying any baseball gear, shoes, cleats, gloves, etc bgs. size 13 shoe, i have lots of fire

none of Nike's GR stuff is that cool to me.

they need a better mid/high top cleat.

i like these MVP batting gloves but theyre only selling them in the standard colors and theyre way overpriced

Back
Top Bottom