Money Mayweather Officially Retires...NO REMATCH WITH OSCAR!

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- Pound-for-pound king and welterweight world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced his retirement from boxing Friday.

[+] Enlarge

Al Bello/Getty Images

Floyd Mayweather Jr., who defeated Oscar De La Hoya in May 2007, finishes his career 39-0.
"It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today," Mayweather, 31, said in a statement. "I have decided to permanently retirefrom boxing. This decision was not an easy one for me to make, as boxing is all I have done since I was a child. However, these past few years have beenextremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport." The retirement means that Mayweather's scheduled Sept. 20 rematchwith Oscar De La Hoya is off. "I have been informed of Floyd's decision and I wish him good luck," Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com."I wish him good luck in his retirement. We will move on. Sometime next week I will announce a big fight for Oscar. There are different names out thereand I will be working diligently to announce in the coming days Oscar's next fight." Bob Arum, here promoting Kelly Pavlik's middleweight defenseagainst Gary Lockett on Saturday night, promoted Mayweather for most of his career until an acrimonious split. Still, Arum also wished him well in retirement."I commend Floyd Mayweather for being so forthright," Arum said. "He's had a wonderful career. He's decided to retire and to announcepublicly his intention. I think we should all applaud him for his candor and his forthrightness. Boxing is a very dangerous sport and it involves serious riskof injury every time a person steps into the ring. Floyd has accumulated a large nest egg through his fighting and promotional abilities the past couple ofyears and I, for one, see no reason why he should subject himself to additional risk when he appears to be set financially." Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) wona bronze medal in the 1996 Olympics and went on to win world championships at junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight and juniormiddleweight.

I think he goes out as TOP 3 or 4 of all time!

Originally Posted by I FR3SH I

BHPbadboi wrote:
I think he goes out as TOP 3 or 4 of all time!
Roy Jones, Ali, Tyson, Hopkins>Mayweather

Tyson is my dude, but honestly Lennox Lewis and Holyfield had better careers
Who did Tyson beat good in their prime...Frank Bruno?

Hopkins...Had a great career, but Sugar Ray Robinson/Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Joe Lewis all had better careers

Ali...No need to comment

Roy Jones...Yeah he gets my nod! Key Wins: Hopkins, Toney, Trinindad... A win against Calzaghe or Pavlik would certify his career!

My dude said he seen Money May walking around Miami Memorial Weekend with a LV bag; and he kept randomly yelling "They Don't call me Money Mayweatherfor nothing!"

I don't really see him on t.v. doing any endorsements, and i know his music hasn't really jumped off yet???

Maybe he gonna back to WWE, I heard he said he loved doing that, and you know the money is great

Originally Posted by PO2345

Until he defeats Cotto, he is NOT the best in my book.

PO

And likewise. If Money really is retired then I would consider him one of the best of all-time. So what if he didn't fight one man? He still beatTony Pep, Angel Manfredy, Jesus Chavez, DeMarcus Corley, Genaro Hernandez, Oscar De La Hoya, JL Castillo twice, Ricky Hatton, Diego Corrales, Arturo Gatti,Sharmba Mitchell, Zab Judah , and Carlos Baldomir.

I think he's had his fair share of credentials
smile.gif

pimp.gif
top 5 for me.

IDC if he beat Cotto or not. After seeing the domination of Hatton.
pimp.gif

This was he'll make so much more with his "Coming out of Retirement Match" with Oscar. No way is he done.
If so, DLH vs Pacquiou?

This is all a ploy like Pier49 stated but he will be back...we've all seen the videos of homeboy toss hundreds in the club, wreslting ring, McDonalds..

Im pretty sure hes got some smart people working for him but he will be back in the ring

Back
Top Bottom