Officially Retired from sneakers

I’m sitting on about 4 pairs of DS Jordan’s and I’m facing the tough realization that while I love them I don’t know if I’ll ever wear them.

A part of me wants to sell but a part of me wants to hold onto them for.. idk, sentimental value / my love of the shoes?

I was always a believer of “wear your shoes”, and still am, so this is a tough spot for me.

IMG_2337.gif

IMG_2338.gif

Like most of us, I never was into this because of popularity or fads or hype etc. Got into it as a kid who played a lot of basketball and loved the culture of it in the late 80s and even more so into the 90s. I'm old now and don't really play anymore, but I'm still a huge lover of the game and it's just something I've done and been interested in for so long that it's part of me, so I've never had the thought that I might one day "retire." If anything, I feel like it keeps me connected even if my playing days are mostly behind me. I don't even get the concept, honestly. It would be no different, for me, to saying I'm going to retire from wearing hoodies or hats or whatever.

It only is a "problem" for me when--and I'm near to being back in this boat--my space is running low or I find I've got DS shoes that are more than four years old that I'm never going to wear. But then I just unload older pairs to make room for new ones. I do think about the financial cost of it at times and what else I could do with the money, but I'm also not spending $5K a year. Where I've found at least a "decent" balance is, I mostly only buy stuff I REALLY feel a need to have. I've never been someone who chases every release like I'm collecting Pokemon cards or whatever.

Like most of us, I never was into this because of popularity or fads or hype etc. Got into it as a kid who played a lot of basketball and loved the culture of it in the late 80s and even more so into the 90s. I'm old now and don't really play anymore, but I'm still a huge lover of the game and it's just something I've done and been interested in for so long that it's part of me, so I've never had the thought that I might one day "retire." If anything, I feel like it keeps me connected even if my playing days are mostly behind me. I don't even get the concept, honestly. It would be no different, for me, to saying I'm going to retire from wearing hoodies or hats or whatever.

It only is a "problem" for me when--and I'm near to being back in this boat--my space is running low or I find I've got DS shoes that are more than four years old that I'm never going to wear. But then I just unload older pairs to make room for new ones. I do think about the financial cost of it at times and what else I could do with the money, but I'm also not spending $5K a year. Where I've found at least a "decent" balance is, I mostly only buy stuff I REALLY feel a need to have. I've never been someone who chases every release like I'm collecting Pokemon cards or whatever.
This is me in a lot of ways. In the past 3 years, I have bought a lot of pairs, but a lot of those have been older releases or vintage pairs I've wanted for a while. I've also sold off a lot of other pairs, bought pairs to flip like Orange Lobsters, TS x AM 1s, TS x J1 lows, etc that netted me nice $$ that I used to buy much cheaper stuff. I don't go after every release either as I'm very selective. I thought about the $$ aspect too. For being my only real hobby, it's not too expensive of one when you think of guys that are into cars, guitars, watches, etc. I'll never be done or "retired" from kicks as I've always loved em. Never been a "fad" for me.

Last edited:
This is me in a lot of ways. In the past 3 years, I have bought a lot of pairs, but a lot of those have been older releases or vintage pairs I've wanted for a while. I've also sold off a lot of other pairs, bought pairs to flip like Orange Lobsters, TS x AM 1s, TS x J1 lows, etc that netted me nice $$ that I used to buy much cheaper stuff. I don't go after every release either as I'm very selective. I thought about the $$ aspect too. For being my only real hobby, it's not too expensive of one when you think of guys that are into cars, guitars, watches, etc. I'll never be done or "retired" from kicks as I've always loved em. Never been a "fad" for me.
🎯 Watched my Dad restore a ‘72 Mustang Mach 1. Bought my daughter 4 guitars and a drum set so far for her musical hobby. Wife has a side business she created out of her hobby now. The amount I spend on sneakers is far less than any of these. The problem with some folks isn’t money for one hobby, it’s having money for multiple hobbies. I buy sneakers, sit my old *** down and enjoy life lol.

Welp, bought the Upthere x Kookaburras on a 20% off sale, and crazily enough, found a pair of 2013 Shaqnosis. The Shaqs are a 10.5 so I hope to God they fit. They also need a cleaning and come with no OG box, but for $90 AUD shipped (~$60 USD), im not complaining. Just bought a vintage mid 90s Reebok Shaq tee too that will perfectly go with these. Will be nice to add these to my Damenosis.

Now, if I can just get my 2013 Nike Gloves sold....😂😂😭😭🙏🙏

Back
Top Bottom