Moving out of the United States vs traveling world wide.

:lol: at the entire continent of Africa being "rebel wars and rapes."

Anyway, I'm also looking around for an international "oasis". I'll be back in this thread later.

more on this please. Pictures would be great. 
Well I don't think he has pics laying around on deck, he's 32 years old, all I know is he lives in Shenzhen and has a different girl every week I hear. I'm letting my boy stay at my place for awhile until he can find a spot on his own and he's always Skyping with his cousin and sharing pics. He's a pretty humble guy (the cousin), very down to Earth, him and his cousin are black but they look very racially ambiguous so they get the whole cultural experience everywhere they go.

Last edited:
Parts of South Africa are identical to NYC from my understanding. I def think you should do more work. I will be going overseas (Africa in fact, Nigeria to be more specific) for 5-6 months in early 2014. Had to move alot of stuff around in my life but where there is a will there is a way keep the faith OP.

Anyone have better insight into how to actually live LONG TERM in any of these places? I've got some friends with dual-citizenship in European countries, and they have the luxury to pick a country within the EU, buy a plane ticket and see whats good no problem.

For those of us who are American citizens only, other than the major gamble of acquiring a visitor's visa (90 days I believe) and hustling your ***** off in those three months to find a company who will sponsor you in order to get a work Visa before your time/money runs out, what are other ways to go about this. I'm just trying to get an outside-the-box perspective. And no "teach for a year programs" please, because those are timed programs and you buy round trip tickets for those. Im looking for a one-way to Berlin.:smokin

I'd love to go back down to Venezuela, margarita island to be specific and live for awhile. I'm not touching there though until they calm down politically.

It's said that Luther is filmed mostly in Hackney, London? 

Quote:
[h1]Is Hackney really the worst place to live?[/h1]
Why does the Regents Canal run through Hackney? So it doesn't get shot. Expect this cliché and others in The Best and Worst Places to Live in Britain, broadcast tonight on Channel 4, when the much-maligned London borough has all sorts of mud thrown at it,writes Riazat Butt.

Why does the Regents Canal run through Hackney? So it doesn't get shot.

Expect this cliché and others in The Best and Worst Places to Live in Britain, broadcast tonight on Channel 4, when the much-maligned London borough has all sorts of mud thrown at it, writes Riazat Butt.

The property programme, fronted by Phil Spencer and Kirsty Allsopp's sister, berates Hackney for its lack of affordable housing and its records on pollution and crime. According to Channel 4, burglary figures  are almost triple the national average and robbery levels are eight times higher. It even has a street that's known locally as Murder Mile.

But if the cap fits, wear it.

So Hackney is fighting back. The mayor, Jules Pipe, is encouraging people to write to the Channel 4 show. On the Hackney council websitehe retorts: "This kind of programme panders to the worst sort of middle England snobbery. Of course Hackney has problems, as do all inner city boroughs, but it is an amazing place to live."

A local estate agent says: "The property market in Hackney is very strong. It's the only London borough that hasn't seen a price drop in the last four years. It's got a great atmosphere, a bohemian feel, fantastic markets and nightlife."

And therein lies the appeal. Hackney is undeniably crap sometimes, but it's also marvelous, which is why I love it.

I have lived in Hackney, on and off, since 1998. I first rented off Broadway Market way back when the only thing you got at the Cat and Mutton  was a stab wound. These days the Cat and Mutton is a gastropub, packed to the rafters with people who can't afford to live in Islington. On Saturdays the market is overrun with 'farmers' selling their wares, three-wheeled buggies, dogs on strings and ironic haircuts. The newsagents run out of the Guardian by 11am and there's a scrum for organic coffee and artisan bread. It is gentrification at its worst but fripperies such as cheese stalls and vintage clothes boutiques add to the texture of the area.

Despite the influx of smug professionals, including legions of Fleet Street staff, Hackney remains a melting pot, epitomising the best and worst of London. On Mare Street, the beating heart of Hackney, there are restaurants, salons, clothes shops and food stores aimed at budgets and nationalities of all sorts. There is always a buzz on the streets, not to mention some Technicolor wedding at the Town Hall to enjoy, and people are friendly and open. Of course there is a lack of affordable housing and crime in Hackney will always confirm deep-rooted suspicions about the place - cf Moss Side - but Hackney is more than bricks and statistics

Do the traveling before deciding to move though. Moving is moving, you'll become stagnant again. Traveling is a much more fulfilling experience.

you def should be spending your 20s-30s traveling the world, eating exotic foods, making new friends of different cultures, smashing women of different ethnics and enjoying all of what the world has to offer you. you will come back to your old city with a different outlook on life. you will be a changed man. :smokin

One of my boys has a cousin who moved to China to teach English, he's one of those racially ambiguous guys where you can't tell what he is. But he's Skyping my boy all the time with women in the background half naked having pillow fights hugging all on him. He also travels China on weekends. He says he's never coming back.

so he moved to china and also visits on the weekend?

I would suggest Korea. Plenty of great food and things are very cheap there. My brother has been working there for 3 years and loves it.

For those interested in comparing the cost of living in 100+ countries, I found this to be useful:

Cost of Living Index By Country 2013

The above may be particularly useful to you, Nomad (if you haven't already looked into something like this), as the various costs are all relative to costs in NYC (see "Explain these indices").

I'm thinking about Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Panama, or some areas in the Caribbean. What's the word on race relations towards Black people from the natives in some of the less diverse countries?

Cape Town, South Africa looks dope, you can rent a home for $2700 dollars. That's not bad.

Last edited:
OP like I said before where there is a will there is a way.

If this is really your dream or passion. Make some sacrifices my guy.

I had to defer grad school and I moved in with my parents for about 7 months to be able to go to Africa in January.
A lot of people in my circle don't even know I made this decision yet, I really had to sacrifice more than most people would ever understand.

If your serious about it though trust me you can do it. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors I will be sure to let you know how mine goes. BTW I'm 25 if you were wondering how old I am.

Back
Top Bottom