Moving out of the United States vs traveling world wide.

I want to spend my 30's traveling, back packing, sailing, and hiking the world. I'm seriously putting together a plan to make this economically possible. 
I want to do this. 
Wait you're married?
Yes he is. 
laugh.gif
 Would your wife go with you? 
nerd.gif
 Or do you not care? 
laugh.gif

OP like I said before where there is a will there is a way.

If this is really your dream or passion. Make some sacrifices my guy.

I had to defer grad school and I moved in with my parents for about 7 months to be able to go to Africa in January.
A lot of people in my circle don't even know I made this decision yet, I really had to sacrifice more than most people would ever understand.

If your serious about it though trust me you can do it. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors I will be sure to let you know how mine goes. BTW I'm 25 if you were wondering how old I am.
I'm so serious, and do it while you don't have any children, having children adds a little bit more challenge to your goals
I want to do this. 

Yes he is. 
laugh.gif
 Would your wife go with you? 
nerd.gif
 Or do you not care? 
laugh.gif
Nah, she's not really that type of person, she's very American, too the core.  T.V., consumerism, New York, New York, New York ...she has a phobia of international travel. 
Unless it's Paris. That's the only place she wants to travel to.

I came close to death, and it wasn't on my terms, the day I got out the hospital I made up my mind that I'm gonna live life to the fullest and rise to the challenge of whatever it brings my way. She understands that, she's okay with it. 

$22 for a hamburger? 
indifferent.gif

Same in Oslo. A big mac meal costs about $25.

I want to spend my 30's traveling, back packing, sailing, and hiking the world. I'm seriously putting together a plan to make this economically possible. My wife is a New York junkie, she loves New York, everything New York, she won't leave. So I have to find a place that provides that big city metropolis feel she loves.

Or sooner if possible. I would have left a long time ago if I knew what I know now. But any day you travel is always a good day so don't let age deter you. I remember meeting an 85 year old Scot while I was at my hostel in Madrid who was backpacking throughout Europe and was truly the youngest guy at heart. So if he can do it then there really is no excuse for anyone else not to go.

I backpacked across Europe last summer for three months, visited 15 countries and 30 cities and had the time of my life with absolutely no regrets. It took me a year to save up the money to make it happen and, despite how much money I spent, the experience alone was worth every penny. So if you have an inkling and desire to travel and see the world then GO! Even if you don't you should try for a little bit just to gain some perspective. That insight alone will always be worth the time, effort and stress travel eventually brings.

One piece of advice I'd impart for first time travelers would be to go it alone for the first time. Trust me, it'll work out in your favor. It may seem daunting at first but it's worth it in the long run especially if you're on a long trip. Bringing friends on short trips is fine, nothing wrong with that but after enough weeks and months, you're going to want your alone time and they as well. It'll happen. Plus I found people are much more receptive to you and willing to befriend you when you're on your own.

I think this guy perfectly captured what it means to travel and why it's important we should all step out of our comfort zone.

http://wallstreetwanderluster.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/why-i-travel.html?m=1

I'm living in germany now i felt the same way as OP after traveling and coming back to america life was just to simple boring unexciting ....i have been here for a year and i at this point i don't want to go back...... sooner or later i will probably end up in London which basically an perfect mix of western and European lifestyle. O yea if you come to Europe get your money up or have a good job setup for you cause that dollar is weak
mean.gif

OP making no sense. He wants to travel the world, but ALSO has a wife that doesn't want to do this (except in big cities). So, OP you'd roam around the globe and leave your wife in the US??? What do you do for work...it makes a big difference

Or sooner if possible. I would have left a long time ago if I knew what I know now. But any day you travel is always a good day so don't let age deter you. I remember meeting an 85 year old Scot while I was at my hostel in Madrid who was backpacking throughout Europe and was truly the youngest guy at heart. So if he can do it then there really is no excuse for anyone else not to go.

I backpacked across Europe last summer for three months, visited 15 countries and 30 cities and had the time of my life with absolutely no regrets. It took me a year to save up the money to make it happen and, despite how much money I spent, the experience alone was worth every penny. So if you have an inkling and desire to travel and see the world then GO! Even if you don't you should try for a little bit just to gain some perspective. That insight alone will always be worth the time, effort and stress travel eventually brings.

One piece of advice I'd impart for first time travelers would be to go it alone for the first time. Trust me, it'll work out in your favor. It may seem daunting at first but it's worth it in the long run especially if you're on a long trip. Bringing friends on short trips is fine, nothing wrong with that but after enough weeks and months, you're going to want your alone time and they as well. It'll happen. Plus I found people are much more receptive to you and willing to befriend you when you're on your own.

I think this guy perfectly captured what it means to travel and why it's important we should all step out of our comfort zone.

how much did it cost you???

how much did it cost you???

Plane ticket was about $1,500. Flew into Barcelona and flew out of London. Buy your ticket as soon as possible to get it cheaper.

Eurail three month global pass about $2,100. I think if you buy the pass through Rick Steves it'll be cheaper. If you plan on doing a lot of travel then its worth it. You can also do the the select or regional pass where you can pick and choose which countries you want to visit but they come with travel day restrictions. You have to plan a little more and know which days you want to travel. With the global pass you can literally go on any train as many times as you want, even multiple times per day. The majority of trains are free with the global pass but some destinations require a small fee which is not much, like the most I paid was 11 euros. I remember I went from Milan, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Hamburg, and then to Copenhagen for free with the global pass. Also in some countries like Spain, you have to reserve ahead of time or else you won't be allowed on the train. So a few days before you plan to leave reserve your ticket.

Travel expenses about $12,000. The only reason why I spent so much is because once you hit the northern European countries the price goes up for everything. That's why I did all of Scandinavia in about 10-11 days. I wouldn't recommend going that fast, though, as it's better to stay at least 3 or 4 nights in a place than 2 nights just to hit up another place on your list. If you miss a location then it's just another excuse to come back, that's the way you have to look at it.

Depending on the country and city, your expenses will vary. Some days in Spain or Italy I would spend as little as 15-20 euros a day, including the cost of the hostel, food, and any other expenses. Or, like in Interlaken, I spent about 400 euros in a day. That was my most expensive day only because I went canyoning and canyon jumping.

I doubt you'll need to spend as much as I did since I knew I wanted to do a lot of traveling from the get go given my short amount of time. And I also knew that I wouldn't be going back to Europe for some time so I wanted to make the most of it while I was there. I want to visit as much of the world as possible before I revisit places I've already been before, which is why I'm looking to South America for my next trip.

Hope that helps.

maybe you should buy back that rarri & dump ur gf ...life would sound more easier 

Yeah, I'm gettin' out of this dump, American people suck. Their values have no value.

$22 for a hamburger? 
indifferent.gif
I want to spend my 30's traveling, back packing, sailing, and hiking the world. I'm seriously putting together a plan to make this economically possible. My wife is a New York junkie, she loves New York, everything New York, she won't leave. So I have to find a place that provides that big city metropolis feel she loves.
On the road, I hug and kiss people like I'll never see them again, love without worrying about seeming weak or getting hurt, accept everyone without judgment until wronged and speak honestly and live fearlessly. I find that I am all of these when I travel, the best version of myself. 
It's all so true....I miss europe...
frown.gif

I wouldn't mind getting out of the country for a few years either, just to have a different experience. Not sure how different of an experience I would get in Canada but I do want to visit Toronto, really bad. Also NZ and Australia is on the list too.

Back
Top Bottom