Moving to Another State Advice

My brother just moved there from DC.

Sadly because of the pandemic he has no way to judge the move just yet.

Damn, that’s pretty much why I haven’t pulled the trigger. I had considered moving there towards the end of summer, but decided to wait. I don’t know anyone there and wasn’t really trying to go on tinder covid dates lol.

Do you actually make friends / real connections if you move at an older age?

That’s my thing. Like i could move somewhere else and it be more diverse etc but i don’t think that automatically would make me feel more “at home” without having real non work friends and family around.

Kind of why i like other countries better. There you are at least part of the expat or foreigner community and automatically kind of connect with some of those people. I’ve found in the US it’s the opposite. You go somewhere new but most people already have established sets of friends and relationships so at best you make superficial connections. Or else it’s friends you make through work.

Here's another thread about it.

If your heart is set on Denver, go to Denver. But let's be honest, every state is red once you leave the biggest cities in that state. I know some people are, but I don't think anyone should be afraid to move somewhere where no one looks or sounds like them. Someone has to be the first and set the trend, why not you? Hopefully you can look back in 20 years and say you were the first, now look at how many followed your path.

Take a look at Albuquerque, and New Orleans. Two very ethnically diverse cities that won't break your bank that tend to fly under the radar.

Damn, that’s pretty much why I haven’t pulled the trigger. I had considered moving there towards the end of summer, but decided to wait. I don’t know anyone there and wasn’t really trying to go on tinder covid dates lol.
Come through, I relocated to Charlotte almost two years ago and it's such an easy place to live

Pros:
-Affordability, you here people complain about how expensive it is, but its really cheap if you are moving from a northern/western city
-Transplants - nobody is from here so people are eager to make friends
-Workout scene, if you like to workout its here
-Nightlife- Pre-Covid obviously but the city punches above its weight for nightlife imo
-Weather- I do prefer a warmer climate, it can get hot in summer though

Cons:
-Food scene- it sucks, prepare to save some money on going out
-Culture- museums and just overall originality/music scene is lacking, feels like they are trying to be something they aren't like a mini new york
-Size- it's def a smaller city than I anticipated, some people here like that though and if you're moving from a smaller town it may be perfect for you

Come through, I relocated to Charlotte almost two years ago and it's such an easy place to live

Pros:
-Affordability, you here people complain about how expensive it is, but its really cheap if you are moving from a northern/western city
-Transplants - nobody is from here so people are eager to make friends
-Workout scene, if you like to workout its here
-Nightlife- Pre-Covid obviously but the city punches above its weight for nightlife imo
-Weather- I do prefer a warmer climate, it can get hot in summer though

Cons:
-Food scene- it sucks, prepare to save some money on going out
-Culture- museums and just overall originality/music scene is lacking, feels like they are trying to be something they aren't like a mini new york
-Size- it's def a smaller city than I anticipated, some people here like that though and if you're moving from a smaller town it may be perfect for you

Thanks, man. I lived in Orlando the last 5 years. From the research I’ve done, cost of living seems similar between the two. The uptown area seems pretty nice. Weather is also pretty important to me and I check the weather there constantly on my phone :lol:. You don’t get the nice Florida winters, but it seems pretty nice relative to most places in the country.

Thanks, man. I lived in Orlando the last 5 years. From the research I’ve done, cost of living seems similar between the two. The uptown area seems pretty nice. Weather is also pretty important to me and I check the weather there constantly on my phone :lol:. You don’t get the nice Florida winters, but it seems pretty nice relative to most places in the country.
Yeah def agree, I live in Uptown so feel free to reach out anytime with qs.

Back
Top Bottom