Music copyright laws? How to get permission for school project!

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

You should be fine under the "fair use" doctrine.

Go to your professor and tell him to look up "fair use". Then tell him he's a moron.
laugh.gif

I don't know what the hell your professor is smoking.

"Fair Use" is subjective but a school presentation (purpose of use is for education) is in no way copyright infringement.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
this ddude is correct. you cant sue someone for using your stuff if it is NOT AFFECTING you in any way in which you created the Copyrighted materialin the first place

Originally Posted by Donkey K0NG

The teacher is actually smarter than you think. He's been doing this for years, but he said there was a recent revision to the fair use, in which it abides by it. He mentioned the fair use policy and mentioned it. I'm trying to find some stuff out.

thanks

I didn't mean that he is a moron literally but that he's just taking this a little too seriously.

Yeah, I OWN the song, but the teacher says you still need permission to use it through a video/music project.

Forget that once you own the song its able to be used at your discretion.

Fair Use is a tricky subject. Even if you bought the song, you don't have the rights to use it in a project, non-profit or not. Plus, BMI or ASCAP areunlikely to respond or give you the rights to use it. The Fair Use doctrine is a defense that allows you to use copyrighted material for the sake of educationor parody. For example, if you're shooting a documentary and you want to show a few clips of Kanye West's songs, you can probably get by under FairUse. Something that is NOT fair use would be using Can't Tell Me Nothing as background music for your action movie.

Under normal circumstances, you're unlikely to get caught, but if your professor is hard on that type of stuff, then you're better off making your ownsongs or finding a band to make some music for you.

If you're really interested, here's a comic that explains Fair Use, but it's pretty long.
http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/zoomcomic.html

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Yeah, I OWN the song, but the teacher says you still need permission to use it through a video/music project.

Forget that once you own the song its able to be used at your discretion.

Umm not necessarily

i think if you own a "lawful copy," under the fair use doctrine you can use bits of it, even if you're not the author, fornon-commercial purposes

(my internet law professor discussed this, in regards to a textbook for which he's the copyright owner)

Originally Posted by sole leisure

Fair Use is a tricky subject. Even if you bought the song, you don't have the rights to use it in a project, non-profit or not. Plus, BMI or ASCAP are unlikely to respond or give you the rights to use it. The Fair Use doctrine is a defense that allows you to use copyrighted material for the sake of education or parody. For example, if you're shooting a documentary and you want to show a few clips of Kanye West's songs, you can probably get by under Fair Use. Something that is NOT fair use would be using Can't Tell Me Nothing as background music for your action movie.

Under normal circumstances, you're unlikely to get caught, but if your professor is hard on that type of stuff, then you're better off making your own songs or finding a band to make some music for you.

If you're really interested, here's a comic that explains Fair Use, but it's pretty long.
http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/zoomcomic.html

"Fair Use" is a subjective matter because it is based on a 'rational, common sense' meaning if you would, and that is why I believe thatthe OP's use of the song would fit under the "fair use" doctrine.

It's a one time use for a non-profit, educational purpose. There is no way anyone could construe that as copyright infringement.

Originally Posted by NolanMJJ

if it's for non-profit education it should be fine.

yea i just took a class on this..as long as its for education or non profit your clear..

if u not makin any money/they not losing any money off of it how the #++% they gone sue you?

think... and tell ur teacher the same thing...

Back
Top Bottom