My Dog is Dying

A lot of you know me and a lot of you don't, those that know me know in the past I've posted a lot of humorous things and I'm not a very serious person for the most part. Which brings me to this, my 10 year old mixed sharpei/lab is dying.

I've had her since 2005, when I moved back from LA, I was sad and depressed because I was fired and had to move back to the Bay Area. I was sad and alone, so I thought I'd get a puppy. I walked into the ASPCA in San Jose and there she is, the most beautiful little puppy I've ever seen in my life, I copped her like some Jordans.

10 years later, cancer and tumors, and now she lays on my bed a fraction of what she use to be.

I have two options, put her to sleep or give her painkillers and let the cancer take her. She has maybe days or weeks left and I don't know what to do.

View media item 1337871

Those of you that have been through this, what did you do? How did you cope?

-Jacob

Prayers to you and your dog. I use to scoff at things like this until I got my dog. Now I know the pain one can go through in this situation.

We gave my jack russel meds that reduced the size of the tumor and gave him some more time to live

But once it hit it HIT.

Like literally overnight and we knew it was time.

Put him down like 2 days later .

It sucks. Stay strong brother

Prayers to you and your dog. I use to scoff at things like this until I got my dog. Now I know the pain one can go through in this situation.

It's definitely something you don't think about when you get a dog, their life expectancy is just so short, you blink and you're here. I'm thinking about stupid things like, all the times I could have been teaching her tricks or going on walks and now she can barely walk.

I aint gon lie i aint like dogs but damn ur pup is so damnn cute fam

Wish u the best and ur pup the best

We gave my jack russel meds that reduced the size of the tumor and gave him some more time to live

But once it hit it HIT.

Like literally overnight and we knew it was time.

Put him down like 2 days later .

It sucks. Stay strong brother

What did they give him?

I'm so sorry to hear this. If I could lean you towards anything it you be to put her down. You'd save her a lot of pain.

losing a dog is the hardest thing i have ever gone through, even harder than a heartbreak..[emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji]

Can't imagine what you're going through bro. :frown:
Got a mutt of my own and can't fathom losing him.

I'm so sorry to hear this. If I could lean you towards anything it you be to put her down. You'd save her a lot of pain.

That's what I'm leaning towards, it's just still hard to think about, just a couple months ago she's chasing squirrels.

I almost didn't want to come in here. My dog is 13 and I know that day is coming and I don't want to think about it. It's such a crappy situation that we only get to spend such a relatively short time with these animals. Just remember that you did a good thing and did right by it when it was alive. You gave the dog a good life when there was a chance it might've never had one.

losing a dog is the hardest thing i have ever gone through, even harder than a heartbreak..[emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji]

That's what I'm scared of, I've been through breakups and even lost my great grandmother and I've never been as sad as I am now.

I went through this with m first dog Champy. He got tumors and stuff in his stomach. I was so sad, he had been with the family longer than I had been alive and was such an amazing dog :pimp:

We took him to a vet and they operated on him but after the operation we learned it was no good and we we're gonna lose him regardless. My mother who was the dog lover (my dad was kind of neutral on dogs) decided to put him down. Looking back at it, it was the right thing to do. He was in pain and could no longer do his job of giving love, humping things, and killing squirrels. After all the years of love he had provided for us, letting him go in a peaceful, painless way was the least we could do for him.

It's up to you, I feel that putting her down is the best option. If you do decide to do so, please make sure you're there and holding her in your arms. The dog will know what's going to happen when you walk in there for the last time. I know it sounds crazy, but they know. After all these years of being your best friend, she doesn't deserve to go out in pain.

I feel your pain OP. I just want you to remember, all the pain you're going through right now is worth all of the love and affection she gave you. Her job is just simply done and she's ready to go to doggy heaven.

Does she have a name?

That's what I'm leaning towards, it's just still hard to think about, just a couple months ago she's chasing squirrels.

Yes, dogs have such a high pain tolerance that they can go on casually while something like this is brewing. once you see the behavior change you know the pain is real.

Sucks, Jacob.

This is why I can't have pets like this. I'll grow way too attached. I became attached to my neighbor's corgi and took care of her while they go on trips. She got old and became unhealthy, something about hip issues. They had to put her to sleep. She was about 13 years old. I was sad, man. It wasn't my dog but I miss the barking and all.

Stay strong, g.

Can't imagine what you're going through bro. :frown:
Got a mutt of my own and can't fathom losing him.

Cherish you're time man, that's all I can say.

I almost didn't want to come in here. My dog is 13 and I know that day is coming and I don't want to think about it. It's such a crappy situation that we only get to spend such a relatively short time with these animals. Just remember that you did a good thing and did right by it when it was alive. You gave the dog a good life when there was a chance it might've never had one.

Amen man, that's all I can think about. We went camping, dog parks, long walks, belly rubs, man she is/was awesome.

I went through this with m first dog Champy. He got tumors and stuff in his stomach. I was so sad, he had been with the family longer than I had been alive and was such an amazing dog :pimp:

We took him to a vet and they operated on him but after the operation we learned it was no good and we we're gonna lose him regardless. My mother who was the dog lover (my dad was kind of neutral on dogs) decided to put him down. Looking back at it, it was the right thing to do. He was in pain and could no longer do his job of giving love, humping things, and killing squirrels. After all the years of love he had provided for us, letting him go in a peaceful, painless way was the least we could do for him.

It's up to you, I feel that putting her down is the best option. If you do decide to do so, please make sure you're there and holding her in your arms. The dog will know what's going to happen when you walk in there for the last time. I know it sounds crazy, but they know. After all these years of being your best friend, she doesn't deserve to go out in pain.

I feel your pain OP. I just want you to remember, all the pain you're going through right now is worth all of the love and affection she gave you. Her job is just simply done and she's ready to go to doggy heaven.

Does she have a name?

Makes me tear up reading that man, I know that moment is coming as she lays next to me with a big cone on her head sleeping, I know in a few days/weeks I'm going to be in that situation and it just makes me sad/sick to my stomach.

Her name is Gina and she's awesome, let me find some more pictures.

Hell yea, dogs love you so damn much. They don't care if you're a scumbag or some bum on the side of the road, they stick by you through everything. Through the nights you get so wasted you can't make it to bed so they cuddle with you on the floor, pick up any food you drop on the floor, save you from squirrels and lasers or any other random lights they might see.

The best is when after a long day of work or school on a random given Tuesday you walk through the door and they get so excited to see you every time. When they get so excited they end up jumping and falling looking like they're having a seizure but really they're just like "BEST FRIEND! YOU'RE HOME! I LOVE YOU!"

Yes, dogs have such a high pain tolerance that they can go on casually while something like this is brewing. once you see the behavior change you know the pain is real.

Word, they don't want you to know anything is wrong with them. In our case we noticed it was bad when he started falling down the stairs and we'd find him hiding from us in the garage. The vet says it's because he didn't want us to see him in pain. Even in their worst days, you're still their number one priority :pimp:

I feel for you as my family went through a similar situation 2 years ago. Our family dog had a kidney issue and doctors said that she could live for years or days but it would costs a pretty penny just to maintain her and with no guarantee.

12000 later and an extra 10 months I wouldn't have traded that for the world. She was so sad when we finally took her in the morning to be put down. I remember when I woke up before that when I pet her a certain way like I always did how happy she was and she just sort of collapsed. As if she was happy that she could say goodbye to everyone in the family. I cried on and off throughout the day for the next 2-4 days. My mom was worst as she was at it for a solid week. Still miss my Punia to this day and I did post a picture to a similar thread around that time here on NT. Our situation was different as I offered my mom to cover half the costs so we split that 12k. It's a difficult decision to make either way you go.

That so true, dogs have a crazy amount of tolerance.

Sucks, Jacob.

This is why I can't have pets like this. I'll grow way too attached. I became attached to my neighbor's corgi and took care of her while they go on trips. She got old and became unhealthy, something about hip issues. They had to put her to sleep. She was about 13 years old. I was sad, man. It wasn't my dog but I miss the barking and all.

Stay strong, g.

Dogs are awesome period, I never understood people who aren't compassionate about them or hurtful towards them.

Hell yea, dogs love you so damn much. They don't care if you're a scumbag or some bum on the side of the road, they stick by you through everything. Through the nights you get so wasted you can't make it to bed so they cuddle with you on the floor, pick up any food you drop on the floor, save you from squirrels and lasers or any other random lights they might see.

The best is when after a long day of work or school on a random given Tuesday you walk through the door and they get so excited to see you every time. When they get so excited they end up jumping and falling looking like they're having a seizure but really they're just like "BEST FRIEND! YOU'RE HOME! I LOVE YOU!"

Amen amen!

What part of san jose are you from? I'm from east side but I'm on the south side now.

I feel for you as my family went through a similar situation 2 years ago. Our family dog had a kidney issue and doctors said that she could live for years or days but it would costs a pretty penny just to maintain her and with no guarantee.

12000 later and an extra 10 months I wouldn't have traded that for the world. She was so sad when we finally took her in the morning to be put down. I remember when I woke up before that when I pet her a certain way like I always did how happy she was and she just sort of collapsed. As if she was happy that she could say goodbye to everyone in the family. I cried on and off throughout the day for the next 2-4 days. My mom was worst as she was at it for a solid week. Still miss my Punia to this day and I did post a picture to a similar thread around that time here on NT. Our situation was different as I offered my mom to cover half the costs so we split that 12k. It's a difficult decision to make either way you go.

I feel you on that, if I could pay 12000 for my dog to live to next year I would. They are family 100%

When you're sad they comfort you.
When you're stressed or angry petting them makes it all go away.

i never owned a dog but always wanted 1... but i can only imagine what your going through.. dogs are like human beings too who are a part of your life... so stay strong bro hopefully your dog pulls through

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom