My Dog is Dying

Put mine down because he had cancer about 8 years ago. At the time I was heartbroken but looking back at it was the best thing for him because it was even harder watching him suffer.

Best relationship I've had. Coming home from school and watching him go bonkers, running all over the house, tail wagging always put a smile on my face. The best though was when I would take a nap after a long day and when I would wake up he would be there laying next to the couch.

I am gonna go through this soon I am sure. I have a black lab that's 9, and it seems like that day is fairly approaching. It's sad, but I think he has had a pretty good life and been spoiled most of his life, at least I was able to give him that.

He still begs for food though like he's perfectly healthy, other times he acts like he's in pain, just never when food is involved lol

Last edited:
frown.gif
 i know the feeling bro.... i had the call one day for my last pup. Truly heartbroken. All you have to do is salvage the good memories and put those ahead of the bad ones.

Like humans, dogs aren't irreplaceable. However getting a new one and building a new relationship works best.

It's definitely something you don't think about when you get a dog, their life expectancy is just so short, you blink and you're here. I'm thinking about stupid things like, all the times I could have been teaching her tricks or going on walks and now she can barely walk.
damn man, Reminds me to continue taking my dog out with me and cherishing his company. Don't think I'll get another after he passes.

My dog has excitement pee and I'm pretty sure he only does it when I'm around.

Anyways, we had to put my girlfriend's german shepherd down due to complications a few years ago and it was probably the saddest thing I've witnessed. We were all in the room with her, and she just laid there in my girlfriend's arms as if she knew what was going to happen.

My girl felt alone and missed the daily routines so I bought her a new puppy shortly after, a shih tzu/bichon fries mix

Best of luck, OP 
frown.gif

Word, they don't want you to know anything is wrong with them. In our case we noticed it was bad when he started falling down the stairs and we'd find him hiding from us in the garage. The vet says it's because he didn't want us to see him in pain. Even in their worst days, you're still their number one priority :pimp:

Dogs are meant to be in packs. When they begin to seek solitude they're living to die :frown:

sorry you gotta go through this OP

in a situation like this, its best to get with those close to you and those who were close with dog and come to decision. 

heres very touching video that im sure most of you know about, but im sure youll relate OP

always gets to me

my dog is only 3 but time sure has flown by since i got him at 6 weeks 

hes really my best friend

I've owed a dog my entire life, sometimes you have to spare them the pain.

I've put two of them down, it hurts but its the right thing to do if they are in extreme pain. They cant rationalize what they are going through.

I feel you man. Lost my dog a few years ago, she was 15.

I think about her almost every day and miss the hell out of that dog, we would even take her to mexico with us :lol:. She was loyal and would stay infront of our yard unattended just watching the people and cars go past by. Funny thing is that after a few weeks, we had numerous people coming up to our door asking about her :wow:

anyways, I would put the dog to sleep man, even though you're going to give the dog pain killers, you just don't know if they will still be in pain, it's better to just put her down. I refused to be there when they put down our dog, i let my brother take her instead

frown.gif

sorry bro. 

its a hard decision. 

if you do decide to put your dog down...give her the greatest last meal. 

frown.gif

Im going through the same OP. My 7 year old terrier has a tumor the size of a softball on his ribs. He also has diabetes and he pees constantly and hes losing his eyesight. Breaks my heart evey time he bumps into something.

View media item 1602408

Ugh so sad man, mine is 8yo and I'm starting to see the changes in him. Don't know how I'll react when that day comes. :smh:

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear about your pooch OP & what you're going through.

If the Dr. is adamant the issue is terminal & she will live in pain even with meds, I would put her done however like someone said, I would be right there with her as she passed. If I were in the same position, I'd want my wife to take me off life-support.

I have a rescue pooch too, a half chow & shepherd. We got her when she was 8-9 months old & she'll be 4 next month. The whole family absolutely adores her. I don't even look at her like she's a dog really. I can't imagine life without her really.

I love how excited she is to see me when I walk through the door or first thing in the morning when she realizes we're up. I love hearing her snore in our bed. I find it actually kinda soothing & cute. We love everything about her...

Hang in there OP...

Last edited:
Sorry for your situation my dude.

Last year, I could tell something was wrong with my Shep. He just wasn't himself.

Then he started to have trouble walking. His hind legs would give out on him. And he'd drag them.

Took him to the doctor. They said it was his hips. Standard for a German Shepherd.

So we had him in aqua therapy. They said it would take time.

Didn't seem like he was improving.

Took him to the doc again for a full check. Had his head scanned and everything.

My wife and I went away for our anniversary to Vieques. I take a nap.

And wake up to the sound of my wife hysterical.

Alfie laid down in the back yard of my inlaws house and passed away.

I broke down like a ******* baby.

Apparently he had a tumor and they didn't see it on the scan. So I was furious that I knew something was wrong and the Dr. missed it.

One crazy thing though....we wound up conceiving our 2nd child on that trip. So kind of crazy that we lost one life close to us and it led to the creation of another.

Miss my wing though. Getting all ****** up now thinking about it.....

View media item 1602511

Last edited:
Damn jumpman, sorry that you're going through this.

Putting her to sleep may be your best bet, put her out of any suffering :frown: .

Back
Top Bottom