My laptop just crapped out, I need a new one, suggestions?

ondadownlow

Banned
It was an old laptop too, almost 6 years old, and I was due for a new one. I'm looking for one in the $700 range. I'm using it mainly for school workbut it would be nice if I would be able to run some games on it. My parent's got Vaio's but I just don't like how they feel, and they're toosmall for my hands. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Get an HP
It is quality
HP-Pavilion-dv2500t-notebook.jpg
pimp.gif

Hey. I can get either a Sony Vaio or a Dell laptop for $400 new. Which one is better?

I'll just be using it for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks.

I just bought a Toshiba A205-5814 at Office Depot for $500+tax after rebate. I don't know too much about computers, but my buddies who are told me it was adecent buy. Intel Dual-core, 2 gigs RAM, 160 gig HD, Windows Vista Home, other stuff. They also have the same computer with 1 gig RAM and a 120 gig HD for$400+tax after rebate.

I know about five people (myself included) that have HP laptops that have died and needed to be sent back to the manufacturer within a year of purchase. I willdefinitely not be getting another HP. I'll probably get a Toshiba or something next.

dont get that HP and no offense...to the guy above me^, that toshiba cost so cheap for a reason.
Try to get a Core 2 Duo, even if its about 1.3 ghz, its pretty damn fast. A Dual-Core is old technology, but still pretty decent.
AVOID VISTA!!!!! Get a XP Pro even if it costs 99$ to upgrade...or just get XP home. Also, you DO NOT need more than 2 gig RAM, esp if you're gonna get XP.Vista sucks butt so much that your comp will need at least 2, so remember that. But when you do customize your comp online, dont get 2 gig RAM, just get one.You can buy a decent 2 gig RAM for about $35-$45 (1 gig + 2 gig=3 GB for only 35$ more). You also do not need a tremendous amount of GB...who really needs morethan 160? You can buy a 100 GB HD for really really cheap! So you can always avoid spending too much buy upgrading the HD. And no, you dont really need awebcam...so unless you're gonna take 'getitcrackin' pics with your partner, then get it...but u better share them.
I just bought a laptop and hopefully it comes in this week. Try to avoid laptops from Dell (especially!), Toshiba, Compaq, and theres much more.
Laptops from ASUS and Lenova are very durable and good. HP is up there too.
Vaio is sexy, heard mixed reviews for these.
You do the research and buy smart. I really suggest asking elsewhere other than niketalk for laptop opinions.
hope i helped

i was in the same position a couple months ago... i just waited for a coupon for HP to show up on Slickdeals.net and i found a $400 off dv9000 series laptopsso i copped

this is what i got
ndsm4m.jpg

b13251ee2356b9bbccfee57e808c8c6e311c6c9.jpg

2 gigs ram
160 gig SATA HDD
17" screen
Vista home premium (i dont mind it)
joints even got a fingerprint reader
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
(not that it should sway any decisions lol)

but im happy with it, its wireless N capable.. good dl speeds on wireless... just my input

Originally Posted by jehims

dont get that HP and no offense...to the guy above me^, that toshiba cost so cheap for a reason.
Try to get a Core 2 Duo, even if its about 1.3 ghz, its pretty damn fast. A Dual-Core is old technology, but still pretty decent.
AVOID VISTA!!!!! Get a XP Pro even if it costs 99$ to upgrade...or just get XP home. Also, you DO NOT need more than 2 gig RAM, esp if you're gonna get XP. Vista sucks butt so much that your comp will need at least 2, so remember that. But when you do customize your comp online, dont get 2 gig RAM, just get one. You can buy a decent 2 gig RAM for about $35-$45 (1 gig + 2 gig=3 GB for only 35$ more). You also do not need a tremendous amount of GB...who really needs more than 160? You can buy a 100 GB HD for really really cheap! So you can always avoid spending too much buy upgrading the HD. And no, you dont really need a webcam...so unless you're gonna take 'getitcrackin' pics with your partner, then get it...but u better share them.
I just bought a laptop and hopefully it comes in this week. Try to avoid laptops from Dell (especially!), Toshiba, Compaq, and theres much more.
Laptops from ASUS and Lenova are very durable and good. HP is up there too.
Vaio is sexy, heard mixed reviews for these.
You do the research and buy smart. I really suggest asking elsewhere other than niketalk for laptop opinions.
hope i helped
None taken. Could you explain why though? Just curious.

It works pretty well for my needs, which is basic web browsing and some light word processing. I will say that Vista takes some getting used to, but itisn't awful. It's just very different from what I've used for as long as I can remember. Hopefully I won't encounter some of the nightmaresI've read about online. *knocks on wood*

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

I know about five people (myself included) that have HP laptops that have died and needed to be sent back to the manufacturer within a year of purchase. I will definitely not be getting another HP. I'll probably get a Toshiba or something next.

forreal, ive heard nothin but bad things about these joints, good thing i didnt get one cause i was diggin those hp laptops that were perfectly rectangular- yall know which ones im talkin bout

i work for toshiba and none offense taken from anyone badtalking it but my point would be to ask a associate at best buy or circuit city for help

i manage all the BB and CRCT's in ny nj and ct and most of the associates say that hp gets returned all the time due to problems

and im not gonna toot my own horn, but it makes me feel good that they always push for my toshiba sales over hp,

few reasons why is the return rate on a toshiba over hp and sony is considerably low and they have virtually no problems with it

one thing why ppl like hp according to the sales associates at both BB and CRCT is that they like the looks of the laptop, the lights and the shiny parts,basically they like the pretty look of it
what u need to understand is what u want the laptop to do for you

and i wont front in general, hp sony and toshiba are top 3 out of all models excluding apple cause i dont get thier numbers
but hp and toshiba fight more cause thier prices are level compared to the high price of sony

lemme know if you need help

i just got a HP laptop to replace my hp desktop..... I have no idea how long ive had this desktop...its been so long *pause*

do yourself a favor and cop a dell vostro 1500. you get the most power and the least preloaded junk for your money.

Just got a HP Pavillion dv9000 a couple months ago with the $400 off coupon. Same as Fraji's but with 3 gig of RAM. Runs great...but it takes a minute forVista to load.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

I know about five people (myself included) that have HP laptops that have died and needed to be sent back to the manufacturer within a year of purchase. I will definitely not be getting another HP. I'll probably get a Toshiba or something next.
speaking of toshiba.. im really interested on getting a protege r500, my boss has one and it's
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom