My view on HOMOSEXUALITY.... Am I wrong? how?

i think the reasoning behind gay people(more power to you!!) is just probably what they see attracting to them..it might not be a genetic thing but as a persongrows up they learn more about themselves and what they are interested in..just my 2 cents

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

callin me a mutant son?

do u at least have super powers?
indeed
theyre so inappropiate though
laugh.gif
touche

Being homosexual is in no way natural.

Animals.... of which people are..... are made to reproduce.
To reproduce you need a MALE and a FEMALE.

2 MALES = can't reproduce
2 FEMALES = can't reproduce

So yes, I agree with you on that.

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

^The thing is with animals they may exhibit homosexual behavior, but will all reproduce with the opposite sex. Now while you can mention insects as an example, they have completely different dynamics when it comes to family units. Most insects work together as one unit for the betterment of their entire group and this is why they may not reproduce, but rather tend to others, but they do not exhibit homosexuality, they just take the role of tending for others of their species

It is but the same equation i used can also be applied to any species....I remember from my Animal Behavior course yearsago they applied it to muskrats. In harsh environments with limited resources, even mammals may be better off forgoing having their own offspring.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Being homosexual is in no way natural.

Animals.... of which people are..... are made to reproduce.
To reproduce you need a MALE and a FEMALE.

2 MALES = can't reproduce
2 FEMALES = can't reproduce

So yes, I agree with you on that.
Is albinism natural?

Is female pseudointersexuality natural?

Is male testicular feminization natural?

grin.gif
......these things are all natural because there weren't made byartificial interventions. Mutations/ differences/ our abnormalities are vehicles for diversity, adaptation and evolution. It is all natural. Look for a betterword.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Again, homosexuality is WAAAAY TOOO COMMON to be a meer aberration.
is it really that common considering 6.7 billion humans? what percentage of humans on this planet would you estimate are gay? I don't thinkthere is any statistical evidence to support such a figure.

again, a genetic mutation keeps surviving if there is no predator. so with every new generation, the mutation continues to survive and will continue to do so,but it doesn't make it any more natural just because it exists.

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

is it really that common considering 6.7 billion humans? what percentage of humans on this planet would you estimate are gay? I don't think there is any statistical evidence to support such a figure.

again, a genetic mutation keeps surviving if there is no predator. so with every new generation, the mutation continues to survive and will continue to do so, but it doesn't make it any more natural just because it exists.
You keep reiterating this. So what exactly are you suggesting?

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by Master Zik

As far as your view on homosexuality, think what you like. I've always figured if you're born gay there must be some gay gene or like you think some type of defect/mutation in their biological make up or they're just consciously or subconsciously choosing to be homosexual.
Spoiler [+]
I also kinda feel like it's a way to control over-population.
southpark101_2D771689.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Again cause people missed my point about why homosexuality can confer genetic fitness. In an environment where there are limited resources according to (Hamilton's equation) it may be more beneficial to help you kin raise their kids than you having your own with little chance of survival.

You have kids=they all die
Your sis has kids but raises them alone=some survive

You forgo having kids and help your sister raise kids=they all live

In this scenario homosexual and according to Hamiltons rule (look it up), altruistic behavior may offer higher genetic fitness. Don't get me wrong this is a theory, but it is an explanation of how homosexuality can be beneficial. A lot of this doesn't apply to humans because of technology. But they are vestigial behaviors from our ancestors and shared by out closest relatives in nature.
Anton...dog...comon...

I'm pretty sure we're both liberal individuals who would like nothing better than for homosexuals to receive equal societal treatment...but YOU KNOW and I KNOW because we're both SCIENCE people, that Homosexuality is "unnatural" from a biological and evolutionary standpoint...YOU KNOW THIS...I really can't see why you're debating...

And as for Hamilton's rule--that ishh only really works well with SOCIAL INSECTS. I know this because I've taken a class called SOCIAL INSECTS which was taught by my research advisor who studies Ants.

You cannot apply this "rule" to "us" for the mere fact that we humans are way more complex than SOCIAL INSECTS...

This is a theory, the truth is no one knows why homosexuality is so common.....Hamilton's rule doesn't only apply to Social insects. It applies to any situation where there isn't an obvious fitness gain to the individual. I also said homosexuality may just be a spill-over from normal animal sexuality. Animal don't have the restrictions we do. These are only theories to counter the overly simplistic.

Can't have kids=abnormal, not fit

Actually it's not common as you may think it is...

Name 10 "animals" in which homosexuality is the norm--as in same sex members mating for an extended period of time, or for life--and I'll name100 "animals" where heterosexuality is the norm...hell, I give you 1000.

Lets see, you have "experimental" cases of female bonobos...
Speculations surrounding some species' of sea-horses
And don't even think about using "those penguins"

I give you a head start with 2...you got eight to go...

One scientific study reports that both males and females may interact homosexually.[sup][91][/sup][sup][92][/sup] Male lions pair-bond for a number of days and initiate homosexual activity with affectionate nuzzling andcaressing, leading to mounting and thrusting. A study found that about 8 percent of mountings have been observed to occur with other males. Female pairings areheld to be fairly common in captivity, but have not been observed in the wild.

1. ^ Bagemihl, Bruce (1999). Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity. New York: St. Martin's Press. pp. 302-305. ISBN 0-312-19239-8.
  2. ^ Srivastav, Suvira (15-31 December 2001). "Lion, Without Lioness". TerraGreen: News to Save the Earth. Terragreen. http://www.teri.res.in/teriin/terragreen/issue3/feature.htm. Retrieved on 2007-09-02.
BDW a lot of animals don't mate, i guess i made this point already...eg. Spinster lionesses.

is it really that common considering 6.7 billion humans? what percentage of humans on this planet would you estimate are gay? I don't think there is any statistical evidence to support such a figure.

again, a genetic mutation keeps surviving if there is no predator. so with every new generation, the mutation continues to survive and will continue to do so, but it doesn't make it any more natural just because it exists.

you keep babbling about predators and mutations. do you even know what you're talking about?

As far as your view on homosexuality, think what you like. I've always figured if you're born gay there must be some gay gene or like you think some type of defect/mutation in their biological make up or they're just consciously or subconsciously choosing to be homosexual.
Spoiler [+]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Again cause people missed my point about why homosexuality can confer genetic fitness. In an environment where there are limited resources according to (Hamilton's equation) it may be more beneficial to help you kin raise their kids than you having your own with little chance of survival.

In this scenario homosexual and according to Hamiltons rule (look it up), altruistic behavior may offer higher genetic fitness. Don't get me wrong this is a theory, but it is an explanation of how homosexuality can be beneficial. A lot of this doesn't apply to humans because of technology. But they are vestigial behaviors from our ancestors and shared by out closest relatives in nature.
Anton...dog...comon...

I'm pretty sure we're both liberal individuals who would like nothing better than for homosexuals to receive equal societal treatment...but YOU KNOW and I KNOW because we're both SCIENCE people, that Homosexuality is "unnatural" from a biological and evolutionary standpoint...YOU KNOW THIS...I really can't see why you're debating...

And as for Hamilton's rule--that ishh only really works well with SOCIAL INSECTS. I know this because I've taken a class called SOCIAL INSECTS which was taught by my research advisor who studies Ants.

You cannot apply this "rule" to "us" for the mere fact that we humans are way more complex than SOCIAL INSECTS...

This is a theory, the truth is no one knows why homosexuality is so common.....Hamilton's rule doesn't only apply to Social insects. It applies to any situation where there isn't an obvious fitness gain to the individual. I also said homosexuality may just be a spill-over from normal animal sexuality. Animal don't have the restrictions we do. These are only theories to counter the overly simplistic.

Name 10 "animals" in which homosexuality is the norm--as in same sex members mating for an extended period of time, or for life--and I'll name 100 "animals" where heterosexuality is the norm...hell, I give you 1000.

and just the fact that it exists in nature outside artificial intervention is enough. who cares about the prolificacy of it. it existed before humans. what's your point?

Spoiler [+]

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Anton...dog...comon...

Name 10 "animals" in which homosexuality is the norm--as in same sex members mating for an extended period of time, or for life--and I'll name 100 "animals" where heterosexuality is the norm...hell, I give you 1000.

LOL I never said heterosexuality wasn't the "norm"
laugh.gif
....I said itwas very common is mammals.
It is more common than a mere aberration or mutation such as 3 legged cows. Oh by the way, Bonobos are ODgay
eek.gif
. As are Dolphins. Lions. Horses.....basically any mammalian specieshas that potential. Some more than others.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

you keep babbling about predators and mutations. do you even know what you're talking about?

and just the fact that it exists in nature outside artificial intervention is enough. who cares about the prolificacy of it. it existed before humans. what's your point?
QFE

I'll say it's a genetic oddity and mutation but its not a defect. +#%@ we need more gays with the rate of overpopulation.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I'll say it's a genetic oddity and mutation but its not a defect. +#%@ we need more gays with the rate of overpopulation.
i agree

Too common to be a mutation....but moving with your point of overpopulation. This doesn't necessarily applyto humans because they can artificially conceive, but homosexuality MAY have evolved as a mechanism to ensure fitness in environments with a shortage ofresources. In these harsher environments it makes more sense to ensure the survival of your kin (sister with a higher status, mother) than have your own. NAKEDMOLE RAT and SPOTTED HYENAS exhibit this type of eusocial behavior where most of the females don't have offspring.

More gay people would not decrease human reproduction since a lot of gay people still reproduce in a way to hide their sexuality.

I don't believe in religion and I am pretty open-minded, but I come from a Science background and I've always studied Biology, so I think that's formed my ideologies.

I am interested to hear opposing views and see if I can change the way I think about gays, if it is wrong.

Basically, I have always thought that being gay is a genetic defect in the human species. Much like how many animals are born with genetic mutations in the wild. But since humans, unlike other animals, have the ability to reason with thoughts and feelings, this mutation is given life. And it's given a political backing and the support of fellow humans who have this same condition. I also kinda feel like it's a way to control over-population.

For example, if a gazelle is born in the wild with three legs, it would be left to be eaten by a lion. But in the human race, a person born with one arm is labeled "disabled" and still would be able to carry on life.
That's what sets apart humans from other animals, but the defect is still a defect
I hope this is making sense.

I believe that if every human was gay, there would be no human race, therefore, being gay is unnatural.

Please let me know why you think I am wrong, I just want to know other viewpoints to grow as a person.
Am I the only one that didn't get the connection he was trying to make here?

Originally Posted by Roc Boy Jada

I don't believe in religion and I am pretty open-minded, but I come from a Science background and I've always studied Biology, so I think that's formed my ideologies.

I am interested to hear opposing views and see if I can change the way I think about gays, if it is wrong.

Basically, I have always thought that being gay is a genetic defect in the human species. Much like how many animals are born with genetic mutations in the wild. But since humans, unlike other animals, have the ability to reason with thoughts and feelings, this mutation is given life. And it's given a political backing and the support of fellow humans who have this same condition. I also kinda feel like it's a way to control over-population.

For example, if a gazelle is born in the wild with three legs, it would be left to be eaten by a lion. But in the human race, a person born with one arm is labeled "disabled" and still would be able to carry on life.
That's what sets apart humans from other animals, but the defect is still a defect

I believe that if every human was gay, there would be no human race, therefore, being gay is unnatural.

Please let me know why you think I am wrong, I just want to know other viewpoints to grow as a person.

because there is none and he's just spewing off pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo.

I called him out on it and his response didn't make sense so I decided no to pursue it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

QFE

Numerous mutations ranging from null to deleterious also exist in nature, outside artificial intervention. They pop up every single day and every single secondas a consequence of slight deviations from the "normal" DNA replication and translational events, but you certainly wouldn't go around claimingthat they are normal. Or should one assume that because they happen so frequently, they cannot possibly be aberrations...taking into account that less than 1percent of these mutations are actually beneficial to the host organism...

LOL I never said heterosexuality wasn't the "norm"
laugh.gif
....I said it was very common is mammals.
It is more common than a mere aberration or mutation such as 3 legged cows. Oh by the way, Bonobos are OD gay
eek.gif
. As are Dolphins. Lions. Horses.....basically any mammalian species has that potential. Some more than others.

I only brought up heterosexuality as a point of comparison. I mean, anyone can state that homosexuality is common--but relative to what. There hasto be a point of comparison in order to accurately determine just how "common" it is--as you claim it to be. And from my p.o.v, it only seems fair tojuxtapose it to heterosexuality simply because these two complexes from a mutual dynamic.

Now considering your statement "... homosexuality is WAAAAY TOOO COMMON to be a meer aberration..." incontext and in relation to Heterosexuality, it is more than clear that homosexuality IS NOT COMMON...because in nature, HETEROSEXUALITY> HOMOSEXUALITY...

What does this mean--well in those few instances where scientist THINK (because the only way one can be sure is to actually speak bonobo) they saw evidence ofhomosexuality, they could have simply witnessed aberrations of some sort.

Also one thing you should consider which I doubt you do--in those animal groups where scientists think they witnessed homosexuality, there is often times adominance hierarchy with the dominant male securing all the mating rights while inferior males are left with blue balls. Now granted a few of these males maysneak matings, the reality is, the majority do not. And what happens when a sexually primed male cannot secure a female--guess what's the next best thing.

In nature, there is never an instance where a sexually dominant male with access to females will go after males to mate with. THAT'S A FACT. The males thatengage in "homosexual" acts do so because they lack access to female mates and the only way for them to have sex is to get a bromance going on...

Now in the case of females, "homosexual" tendencies are simply tactics used to reinforce female bonds while keeping persistent males at bay. This isthe case with female bonobos. Even so, during mating season, the majority of these females, if not all of them, that are sexually mature will submit to thedominant male and mate with him--a clear reversion to Heterosexuality. Interestingly enough however, bonobos also exhibit monogamy--where one female coupleswith one male...no homosexual tendencies here. So in the end, all these accounts of homosexuality in nature, are not even really "homosexual" in thesense of the word. Furthermore, you have to realize that there is no way for me or you to accurately state that a certain behavior occuring between same sexorganisms constitutes homosexuality simply because we're not members of that particular animal group...

In nature, "homosexuality" is not the norm or is it natural in the context of evolutionary processes.

I called him out on it and his response didn't make sense so I decided no to pursue it.
laugh.gif

In order to understand what he's saying, you have to just look a Homosexuality as a defect...I get what he's saying but his point severely hinges onlooking at homosexuality as a defect...
laugh.gif

SuperAntigen the words being argued was his use of "natural" and "defect" and his subliminal suggestion of a "final solution"whether he wants to man up to the fact that that's what he was getting at or not.

"normal" is relative and subjective. no one was arguing over that. what you consider "normal" might be +%%@*@@ bizarre to me. the point wasit occurs naturally, therefore how often you see it occur yourself is unimportant. it's still natural.

Back
Top Bottom