NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Pat Riley's private discussions indicate 2010 remains Heat's priority

MIAMI - Miami Heat President Pat Riley laid out a plan to season-ticket holdersThursday that continues to place the team's emphasis on next summer's free-agent period, despite reports linking the Heat to several high-profileoptions this summer.

In a session limited to season-ticket holders and closed to the media, Riley said he would not risk forfeiting next summer's cap space only to eventuallylose out on the opportunity to pair a prime 2010 free agent alongside current Heat guard Dwyane Wade.

While Riley has not addressed the media since the June 25 NBA Draft, a Heat blueprint has emerged through contact with those who attendedRiley's private sessions for season-ticket holders and prospective season-ticket holders the past two days, as well as conversations with those involved inthe Heat's machinations.

Riley even joked during Thursday's session that he anticipated some of those present would immediately text and Tweet his comments. Riley did not addressthe assembled media after Thursday's final session of the team's summer camp.

What was made clear in Riley's private session was that the Heat's interest in re-acquiring forward Lamar Odom from the Los Angeles Lakers is legitimate, withnumbers being discussed that would approach the current Lakers' free-agent offer that Odom has rejected, when accounting from Florida's lack of stateincome tax and other options regarding payments.

Beyond that, the Heat has not entered talks about possibly acquiring forward Carlos Boozer from the Utah Jazz, but is monitoring that situation, with no expectation ofa quick resolution by the Jazz.

In his Thursday speech to season-ticket holders, Riley said the team could acquire Odom, Boozer or both and still put itself in position to be a major playerin 2010 free agency. The Heat made it clear to those present that Riley's comments to season-ticket holders were in an "off the record" setting.

At the heart of Riley's approach is that regardless of whether the 2010 free-agent class thins out in coming months, there still will be substantial talentavailable.

Riley also has been stressing that his team's 2009 free-agent move actually came months ago, when he acquired Jermaine O'Neal from the TorontoRaptors at the February trading deadline.

As for the perceived need to upgrade at point guard, sources indicate that Philadelphia 76ers free-agent point guard Andre Miller, because of ageand the desire for a long-term contract, apparently is not on the Heat's radar and the team's overtures to Allen Iverson on the first-day of freeagency never included a substantive offer, including the $2 million, one-year figure that has been widely quoted.

Riley exited Thursday's session through a side door at the Heat's AmericanAirlines Arena practice court.

However, during Thursday's session, Riley stressed that the future remains the priority, indicating hopes for landing a significant free agent a year fromnow. Riley told Thursday's private gathering that should Odom or Boozer be added this summer, the team still could add a top-tier free agent by"shifting some stuff around."

Riley told Thursday's gathering that some of the league's most significant moves have occurred between mid-July and the mid-February trading deadline.

For now, Heat management is only willing to exceed next season's dollar-for-dollar luxury tax for a player it envisions with a long-term future with theteam, which would appear to rule out anything but a minimal deal for the likes of an Iverson.

As for perceived differences with Wade over the all-star guard so far bypassing the opportunity to extend his contract, Riley holds out hope, but no greatexpectation, of gaining Wade's signature before next summer. A summit, however, still is planned later this summer, with Riley already having shared theblueprint with Wade that he has been explaining privately in recent days.

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@SunSentinel.com

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Portland should of went after hedo and odom to start FA. once hedo turned them down throw the money at odom so you can start bayless and play him off the ball.

Portland wont have any FA money after this year so save it for what?
That probably would've been the smartest thing to do and it would've showed that they were looking to do one thing this off-season and that's find a point-forward basically. At least it would've been a plan.

And they save the money for extensions or if a high-caliber player is up for trade at the deadline, they can make a push for whomever.
I still think the Paul offer was more to screw with Utah for some reason. They knew Utah would match... I think it might have been to try andforce them to make a trade with Boozer to get them a certain player. And if they didn't match then they have a good back up PF. This move just never reallymade sense to me, but just as you all know, nothing the team has really done this offseason has made sense...

I can see Boozer going to the Heat but not Lamar. I have a feeling Portland is going to offer him that 45-50 million contract by the end of the week when Utahmatches for Millsap.

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

I can see Boozer going to the Heat but not Lamar. I have a feeling Portland is going to offer him that 45-40 million coahntract by the end of the week when Utah matches for Milsap.

As long as we get Booz, I'm all good.......LO is really a bonus

laugh.gif
@ Jack sheet

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

If Portland goes after Odom, I will just
indifferent.gif
them. It's like their virgins trying to have sex for the first time and attempting to pay %%@!!* after %%@!!* to have sex with them.
laugh.gif

Great analogy.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I've already told my stance... there is NO ONE in FA right now that I feel Portland should be tossing a giant contract at. Re-sign the core and MAYBE bring in some cheaper help (Sessions or Felton). Don't spend money just to be spending money...

Folks in Portland don't agree with you...

[h1]Canzano: Forget Millsap and go after Lamar Odom[/h1] [h3]by John Canzano, The Oregonian (
sick.gif
)[/h3]
[h3]Thursday July 16, 2009, 6:41 PM[/h3]

Well, you're welcome, Paul Millsap.

Because the Trail Blazers just made you a rich man. And you, too, Hedo Turkoglu. And so, who's next? Remember to tip your bartend - um, just send the tip to One Center Court.

Because it's on to Plan C for the Trail Blazers. Or Plan D. Or nevermind, because we've officially arrived at another "What now?" moment for the organization that is busy making dreams come true.
http://
Kidding, sort of.

Utah matched Portland's ambitious $32 million offer sheet for forward Millsap on Thursday, and the temptation today is going to be to fret, and wring your hands, and wonder how far behind the Blazers will fall. But you should not.

As they were preparing the Millsap offer, which included paying Millsap $10.3 million in the first week of his contract, Portland GM Kevin Pritchard said, "We're not just looking for a fit here anymore, it's a special fit."

Which brings us to free-agent Lamar Odom.

He's tough. He's versatile. He's a winner. And he fits Portland's lineup perfectly, which is why owner Paul Allen should green light the move today to make him the next Trail Blazer. (since when)?

If there's a bonus to losing Millsap a week after making him that explosive offer, it's that the Jazz didn't drag this waiting-period out any longer than it needed to go. Early Thursday the Jazz asked for a one-day extension from the NBA to match Millsap's offer. But by the close of business, the team announced it had searched between the seat cushions and come up with enough cash to match the Blazers offer.

While the Blazers were fitting Millsap for his new uniform, and picking him out a locker, Odom's negotiations with the Lakers broke down. And that ends up as close to good fate as we've seen around here in a summer that feels so dismal that when draft pick Patrick Mills broke his foot people said, "figures."

The Lakers offered Odom a three-year, $27 million contract. It's not enough. Odom wants more years, and Portland can offer just that. Which is why Pritchard should stop reading this column and pick up the telephone now to close a deal with Camp Odom.

I know there's friction on the court between LaMarcus Aldridge and Odom. But this is show business, not show friends. If Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest can find love in the name of winning, then so can Aldridge and Odom.

Miami is already talking with Odom. And there's always the threat of Odom shunning the Blazers for Miami, or eek, a return to Los Angeles for less money. But Portland shouldn't be afraid of being rejected in favor of those cities, lest they let fear run the franchise. If you do that, you're already beaten.

Blazers fans might cringe at the thought of a former Laker in a Blazers uniform. But what they should consider is how badly it would hurt the Lakers to lose a player of Odom's caliber. The Lakers would never have won the world championship without him, and they know it.

There's been a lot of spin control going on with the Blazers this summer. It's been painful to watch, and at one pointduring a few days of negotiations with Brandon Roy's camp, Pritchard sounded defeated and down. But sometimes fate smiles on you in the strangest of ways.

Losing Turkoglu hurt, but it could end up being a blessing. So could losing Millsap, who was going to be overpaid as a backup.

You want toxic?

Spend today fretting over the loss of another player, and the disappointment of the summer instead of getting about chasing down a player who I think is better than either Turkoglu or Millsap.

That would be Odom.

Here's hoping he's in your Blazers starting lineup next season.

-- John Canzano: 503-294-5065; JohnCanzano@aol.com. Catch him on the radio on The Bald-Faced Truth, 3-6 p.m.
weekdays on KXTG (95.5).

^
nerd.gif
just waiting on it to happen.

"A source told Pro Basketball News that interest between Carter and Memphis is "pretty strong." The Grizzlies wouldn't give Carter more than a one-year minimum deal, which is all the Nuggets will offer him.

However, the source believes the Grizzlies could steal Carter away because he's worried about his playing time being cut after the Nuggets last month traded for rookie point guard Ty Lawson on draft night."

Perfect backup for Conley. Good defense, veteran and can take care of the ball. I hope Memphis gets this done. What's taking so long on theRandolph deal? It's Friday and they said the deal would be done today.

[h2]Paul Believes Hornets CouldDeal Him[/h2]
Paul_Chris_noh_090427.jpg

Jul 17, 2009 9:05 AM EST

noh_40.gif
Chris Paul believes that the Hornets could trade him because of their financial situation.

New Orleans is set to be over the luxury tax, and might have to bite the bullet and deal away some big contracts.

"In this league, anything can happen," Paul told Pro Basketball News on Thursday. "I can be dealt."

Paul was then asked if he seriously thought he could be dealt.

"It's possible," he reiterated. "It's possible."

Via Pro Basketball News

Hornets would have to be the DUMBEST franchise in the league if they dealt Chris Paul,

I don't think they are the dumbest so I don't see that happening

Originally Posted by heat23

[h2]Paul Believes Hornets Could Deal Him[/h2]
Paul_Chris_noh_090427.jpg

Jul 17, 2009 9:05 AM EST

noh_40.gif
Chris Paul believes that the Hornets could trade him because of their financial situation.

New Orleans is set to be over the luxury tax, and might have to bite the bullet and deal away some big contracts.

"In this league, anything can happen," Paul told Pro Basketball News on Thursday. "I can be dealt."

Paul was then asked if he seriously thought he could be dealt.

"It's possible," he reiterated. "It's possible."

Via Pro Basketball News

Fisher expiring, Morrison expiring, first rounder in 2015, for CP3.

Do it Mitch.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
at the Hornets even just for thinking about trading CP3.

They should just worry about getting rid of Peja's contract if they have financial issues.

With that said, get it done Dunleavy. Give up anyone on the team except for Griffin and Gordon.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom