NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Nets are going to be BOSS in 2010. I don't like losing Anderson AT ALL but if it means LBJ could come to BK/NJ in 2010 I'm ok with that.

They must have made this trade for VC believing that they can keep Hedo, I still don't like getting rid of Lee.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by doyung9

Alot of teams are willing to pay the luxury tax... but how many guys are willing to be the 4th option when they'd be the 1st/2nd/3rd somewhere else?
If he gets his money....How about the guy who wants to win a Championship...Or two?

If they keep Hedo, they have the best top 6 in the league hands down.

Gotta keep Hedo though.

Originally Posted by brendanmaguire

They must have made this trade for VC believing that they can keep Hedo, I still don't like getting rid of Lee.
tired.gif

smh.gif

I understand why they would get rid of Skip (don't think it's a good idea, but whatever) and Battie, but Lee is only going to get better. Dude wasplaying otherworldly as a rookie.

Hopefully I'm wrong tho...

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

Ryan Anderson somewhat softens up losing Lee. Never seen dude play though. Keeping Hedo would be nice.

Nelson/Johnson
VC/JJ
Hedo/Pietrus
Shard/Anderson (?)
Howard/Gortat
Assuming Turkoglu does not stay, would Lewis move back to the 3? Or would Pietrus slide into the starting spot and keep Lewis at the 4?

Damn, I can't believe VC is leaving NJ, my favorite player on my favorite team. =/ At least RJ went to a winner and now VC to a winner. Wish them both thebest. Getting courtney is nice, loved his game since i saw him at WKU. Our defense next year is going to be very nice.

ATL didn't fill any needs with crawford they should've tried to get Beans from GS or BW.

The NBA is going nuts though, its like bottom teams are having a fire sale and winning teams are just loading up, its crazy.

[h2]Magic Land Vince Carter[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 4:55 PM EST

orl_40.gif
The New Jersey Nets have agreed in principal to send Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to the Orlando Magic for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league executives told Yahoo! Sports.

Via Yahoo!

Orlando Magic

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Crawford For Law Deal Now Official[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 4:42 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
The Golden State Warriors have acquired guards Acie Law and Speedy Claxton from the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for guard Jamal Crawford, the Warriors announced on Thursday.

"We feel we have gained tremendous flexibility with the addition of Jamal," said Atlanta GM Rick Sund. "He gives us balance in the backcourt, having produced at both point guard and shooting guard positions. Not only is Jamal a talented scorer, but he can also deliver quality production down the stretch of games."

Don Nelson had threatened to not play Crawford in 09-10 in an attempt to convince the guard not to exercise his early termination option, but instead the Warriors found a way to unload him.

Golden State is expected to receive insurance compensation on Claxton's contract.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Golden State Warriors, Atlanta Hawks

[h2]Suns Could Flip Wallace To Hornets For Chandler[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 4:32 PM EST

phx_40.gif
While there is no truth to the possibility of Amare Stoudemire being moved to Houston in a package for Tracy McGrady, Ben Wallace could be flipped to New Orleans for Tyson Chandler.

Wallace is an expiring $14 million contract that could also provide the Suns more immediate financial relief with a buyout (although he would still count as a $14 million salary for luxury tax purposes). Chandler's contract goes into the 2010-11 season at about $13 million.

Via Arizona Republic

Phoenix Suns, New Orleans Hornets

[h2]Knicks Get 29th Overall Pick, Give Up $3M And 2011 2nd Rounder[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 4:13 PM EST

nyk_40.gif
Sources said that the Knicks have paid $3 million for the pick and are also giving the Lakers their second round pick in 2011 in order to acquire the 29th overall pick.

The Knicks appear to be targeting Georgetown 6-8 forward DaJuan Summers with the selection.

Other reports indicate that Jack McClinton or Josh Heytvelt could be the target.

Via New York Daily News

New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Amare To Golden State Being Discussed[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 2:42 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
The Phoenix Suns and Golden State Warriors have discussed a possible trade.

League executives indicate that Phoenix could send Amare Stoudemire to the Warriors for a package that would include Andris Biedrins and the No. 7 pick in the draft.

Don Nelson, however, is telling friends that talks are not serious.

Via Yahoo!

Golden State Warriors, Phoenix Suns

[h2]Howard: Cavs Got Shaq To Try And Stop Me[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 2:30 PM EST

orl_40.gif
Dwight Howard was flattered by the Cavaliers acquisition of Shaquille O'Neal.

"Looks like Cleveland just traded for big Shaq in order to try and stop me next season," wrote Howard. "It's good to see that the Magic are on the minds of some other teams now instead of it being the other way around. Maybe now after getting to the Finals the little ol' Magic won't be overlooked as much anymore.

"Those kinds of trades like the one Cleveland made just lets us know that we have to be better next season. Those teams are gunning for us and trying to get better, so we've got to do the same thing."

Via DwightHoward.com (H/T BallerBlogger.com)

Orlando Magic, Cleveland Cavaliers

[h2]Tweeting On Draft Day[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 2:17 PM EST

draft_40.gif
It took us a while, but RealGM is now on Twitter. We will be sending out Tweets with breaking news and commentary in order to ensure that you are always informed of the biggest stories in the sports world.

Andrew Perna will be covering the draft at the WaMu (soon to be Chase) Theater at MSG for the third consecutive year and will send in updates.

Chris Reina will also be sending out updates on our Twitter feed throughout the day.

Click here to visit RealGM's Twitter page and make sure to add us as feed you're following.

Via RealGM Staff Report

NBA Draft

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Shaq Traded To Cavs[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 2:03 PM EST

cle_40.gif
The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired center Shaquille O'Neal from the Phoenix Suns in exchange for forward/center Ben Wallace, guard/forward Sasha Pavlovic, Cleveland's second round pick in the 2010 NBA Draft (top-40 protected) and cash considerations, General Manager Danny Ferry announced today.

"It is a really unique and rare opportunity to bring in a player of Shaq's caliber. We are excited to see how his presence, experience and play positively impacts our team," Ferry said. "We truly appreciate all that Ben and Sasha gave to this team and community in their time here. They were good teammates and we wish them nothing but success."

Via Press Release

Cleveland Cavaliers

[h2]Pacers Shopping Ford, Plan To Re-Sign Jack[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 12:27 PM EST

ind_40.gif
The Pacers are discussing point guard T.J. Ford with a number of teams, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Indiana has been linked to a point guard with their first-round pick, but earlier rumors suggested that Jarrett Jack could be the one on his way out of town.

Jack will become a restricted free agent next month.

Via Yahoo! Sports

Indiana Pacers

[h2]Shaq Trade Won't Affect LeBron's Decision On Extension[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 12:24 PM EST

cle_40.gif
The decision LeBron James will face on whether to sign an extension with Cleveland this summer will not be affected by the club's acquisition of Shaquille O'Neal, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

"His whole thing is based on how they do this year, period," one rival exec said

Via CBSSports.com

Cleveland Cavaliers

[h2]Amare, Barbosa To Houston Being Floated[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 12:22 PM EST

hou_40.gif
Rockets GM Daryl Morey told the Houston Chronicle that teams have been "very aggressive" in their pursuit of Tracy McGrady, and unlike last summer, Morey is listening intently. One such scenario floated by the New York Post, has McGrady, Aaron Brooks, and Carl Landry going to Phoenix for Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa.

According to CBSSports.com, it is a dubious scenario considering the Suns' long-held reluctance to trade Barbosa.

Via CBSSports.com

Houston Rockets, Phoenix Suns

[h2]Hawks Hinting They Won't Re-Sign Bibby?[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 12:15 PM EST

atl_40.gif
If the Hawks do in fact acquire Jamal Crawford, it could spell the end for Mike Bibby in Atlanta.

A source close to Bibby told ESPN on Thursday night that the team's management has sent signals that they won't re-sign the point guard this summer.

Trading for Crawford won't keep the Hawks from drafting a point guard in Thursday night's NBA Draft. Atlanta is reportedly looking at Brandon Jennings, Eric Maynor and Jeff Teague.

Via ESPN

Atlanta Hawks

[h2]Source: Rockets Trying To Get Into Lottery[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 12:08 PM EST

hou_40.gif
ESPN's Chad Ford is reporting that the Rockets have contacted a number of teams about trading up into the lottery.

Sources told Ford that Houston has called the Grizzlies, Thunder, Kings and Timberwolves about moving up, and a number of players on their roster appear available.

Tracy McGrady, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry and Shane Battier have been mentioned in possible deals.

Via ESPN

Houston Rockets

[h2]Agent Upset Over Ainge's Criticism Of Rondo[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 9:01 AM EST

bos_40.gif
Rajon Rondo's agent is upset over comments made by Celtics president Danny Ainge on WEEI Thursday morning.

Ainge said that Rondo has "got to grow up," and added, "his presence hurt us" against the Magic in the Eastern Conference semifinals. He also said that Rondo wasn't a "max contract player," and admitted that Rondo was fined for being tardy to postseason games.

Agent Bill Duffy was taken back by the comments.

"I am just surprised that Danny is speaking, even if he considers it constructively, in a public setting [about Rondo]," Duffy told the Boston Globe. "I don't think that it's appropriate to say that about one of your top players. Even if it's spoken constructively, I don't think it should be done in public. I don't think [Ainge] would like it if [Celtics managing partner] Wyc [Grousbeck] was talking about him in public.

"What they're saying about him critically is actually an asset to him. He is feisty. He is competitive, yes. Last time I checked they won a world championship with him at point guard. If the team wasn't hurting they might have done it again this year. Rondo's tough love from Danny isn't necessary. He's self-motivated and a self-starter."

Rondo wouldn't comment on what Ainge said, but Duffy said that his client "knows" and that "he's all right."

Via Boston Globe

Boston Celtics

[h2]Hinrich Believes Blazers Want Him[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 8:56 AM EST

por_40.gif
Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich has reportedly been telling friends that the Blazers want to trade for him.

John Canzano of the Oregonian reported the story late on Thursday night.

Hinrich has three years and roughly $26 million left on his contract.

Via Oregonian

Portland Trail Blazers, Chicago Bulls

[h2]Source: Rockets Turn Down Offer From Lakers[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 8:52 AM EST

lal_40.gif
The Lakers contacted the Rockets about dealing for Jordan Farmar or purchasing their first-round pick.

Houston turned Los Angeles down, according to a pair of NBA sources.

The Lakers would be expected to get anywhere from $500,000 to $1 million for the 29th overall pick.

"Absolutely," general manager Mitch Kupchak said when asked if the club would considering dealing the selection. "Sure."

Via Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets

[h2]Tyson Chandler Was Next If Cavs Couldn't Land Shaq[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 8:43 AM EST

cle_40.gif
If the Cavaliers weren't able to land Shaquille O'Neal, they would have shifted their focus to Tyson Chandler.

Cleveland and New Orleans had discussions, but talks died when Phoenix agreed to send O'Neal to the Eastern Conference for a package that includes Sasha Pavlovic and Ben Wallace.

The Cavaliers aren't done dealing, according to sources. They want to re-sign Anderson Varejao and obtain an athletic wing player.

Via ESPN

Cleveland Cavaliers, New Orleans Hornets

[h2]Detroit Will Let Herrmann Walk[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 7:39 AM EST

det_40.gif
The Pistons will not extend a qualifying offer to forward Walter Herrmann.

The decision means that Herrmann will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The Detroit News is reporting that the forward is expected to play in Europe.

Via Detroit News

Detroit Pistons

[h2]Jazz Will Extend Qualifying Offer To Millsap[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 7:36 AM EST

uta_40.gif
As expected, the Jazz will soon make a qualifying offer to forward Paul Millsap.

The one-year deal would be worth $1.03 million, and would protect Utah's matching rights on the soon-to-be free agent.

Via Deseret News

Utah Jazz

[h2]Source: 76ers Have Shopped Brand[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 7:33 AM EST

phi_40.gif
A league source confirmed to the Philadelphia Inquirer that the 76ers have shopped forward Elton Brand.

However, it is unlikely that the Sixers will be able to trade Brand because of the sizable contract he signed last summer and his recent injury history.

Brand has four years and $65 million left on his deal.

Philadelphia general manager Ed Stefanski is also looking at a possible move involving the 17th overall pick.

"We're exploring moving up and moving back," Stefanski said, adding that "unless the demands get less, we won't be doing that."

Via Philadelphia Inquirer

Philadelphia 76ers

[h2]Teams Aggressively Pursuing McGrady[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 7:22 AM EST

hou_40.gif
Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said that other teams have been "very aggressive" in their pursuit of Tracy McGrady.

McGrady is entering the final season of his contract, and Morey said that Houston will consider offers.

"We're getting a lot of interest on Tracy, and I do have to listen," Morey said. "It's my job to make this team as ready to win the title as possible. I think the reason we are going to have a pretty high bar on moving him is because he still provides exactly what coach (Rick Adelman) and I thought we were missing, which was a guy who can get a high-quality shot at the end of the game.

"That said, we want to position ourselves for the playoffs, it looks like it's going to be hard for Tracy to be here for a good chunk of the year, so if we can get a talented player who helps us all season, I think we have to look at it."

Morey appears focused on acquiring a draft pick, which the team currently doesn't possess.

"We'd like to acquire one," Morey said. "It looks like we might have some options, but it's very unclear at this point. Everyone is negotiating. Every negotiation comes down to the last day, the last minute.

"We do like some players high in the draft where we would think about giving up some player assets. I wouldn't forecast that as very likely. Buying a pick looks like it may have a pretty decent chance, somewhere around 50/50, maybe a little less. We're just going to be opportunistic. That's where you have to be with the draft.

"I think there are more sellers than buyers."

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

Crazy Crazy day...

Originally Posted by bonafide125

What is going on with this rumors about TMAC to phoenix for STAT

I read somewhere that that trade will not be happening. I just cant remember where it was.

Hinrich on the Blazers would be a very good move.

The Suns are probably going to have a whole different roster next season.

It's weird to see Philadelphia give a huge deal to Brand only to try to trade him the next season.

Nash calling the shots
According to NBA sources, Steve Nash expressed his displeasure with Shaquille O'Neal during a meeting last week in New York with general manager Steve Kerr.
O'Neal was traded to Cleveland on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Magic gave away Lee, Alston, and Battie for V.C?
eek.gif
smh.gif

Can't believe it man.
They trading Alston all over the place man why do they do this to me he is a good player I know he can do it they just don't know it and Lee?Come on nowMagic he out in work for the Magic
smh.gif
Was it because he missed up the lob lay-up in the Finals?

At first I was loving the trade of Vince to the magic, but after thinking about it if they don't resign hedo that means they gave up hedo, alston, battie,and lee for vince? I'm not sure this makes them that much better (and I'm a vince fan).

Shaq to Cavs-the cavs gave up an aging ben wallace and a streaky pavlovic for shaq. its a good trade but its alot of money that they could have possibly usedto get another big man in to help guard the talented bigs in the league.

vince to orlando-if the magic are able to resign turkoglu, this team is going to be scary. they added ryan anderson, a big who's quite versatile. BUT theydid give up their rookie stud in COURTNEY LEE and two solid veterans (rafer and battie). but dang, rafer nevers gets a break.

i like alot of the choices teams made today especially harden to okc
pimp.gif

minnesota od'd w/ all the pgs they picked up and they dont even have a coach to run the show smh
hopefully they have someone in mind.

Wow.

So the Cavs 1st choice was Shaq and 2nd was Chandler?

Cavs F.O. is bass ackward.

SMH.

Get a player who can run the floor and play in the open court.

Lebron/Chandler in the pick and roll >>>>>> 'Bron and Shaq.
[h2]http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...5/agent_upset_over_ainges_criticism_of_rondo/[/h2]
[h2]Agent Upset Over Ainge's Criticism Of Rondo[/h2]
Jun 25, 2009 9:01 AM EST

bos_40.gif
Rajon Rondo's agent is upset over comments made by Celtics president Danny Ainge on WEEI Thursday morning.

Ainge said that Rondo has "got to grow up," and added, "his presence hurt us" against the Magic in the Eastern Conference semifinals. He also said that Rondo wasn't a "max contract player," and admitted that Rondo was fined for being tardy to postseason games.

Agent Bill Duffy was taken back by the comments.

"I am just surprised that Danny is speaking, even if he considers it constructively, in a public setting [about Rondo]," Duffy told the Boston Globe. "I don't think that it's appropriate to say that about one of your top players. Even if it's spoken constructively, I don't think it should be done in public. I don't think [Ainge] would like it if [Celtics managing partner] Wyc [Grousbeck] was talking about him in public.

"What they're saying about him critically is actually an asset to him. He is feisty. He is competitive, yes. Last time I checked they won a world championship with him at point guard. If the team wasn't hurting they might have done it again this year. Rondo's tough love from Danny isn't necessary. He's self-motivated and a self-starter."

Rondo wouldn't comment on what Ainge said, but Duffy said that his client "knows" and that "he's all right."

Via Boston Globe

Boston Celtics

http://www.realgm.com/realgmtix.phtml?t=celtics

His presence hurt against the Magic?

What?

He'll if it wasn't for Rondo, y'all woulda never made it to play the Magic.

Chicago woulda bounced y'all.

I see you Danny.

They talkin about Turkoglu going to Portland...

Hedo + B-Roy on the perimeter = Nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom