NBC's Community Thread - 6/2 - Ep. 13: "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"

Oh, man. Forgot about the Ken Burns Mocumentary on the Great Pillow Blanket War.

This and the Law and Order episode is great.
I had forgot all about L&O ep so when it came on it was such a joy for me :lol:

It was great.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Started to run it back last night. My gf isn't into it I can tell. Guess I'll be rewatching solo.

342846d3f8b225615c4f904edd121fb4.gif

Watched two episodes and forgot how blunt Pierce was. Why did Chevy have a fallout again?

Don't remember correctly but I think Chevy had a private argument with Dan on the phone then he played it at a party or something, which is clownish. I'm sure Chevy did his part, but Dan seems like the tyrant that smiles with you.

Chase had a history of leaving set early before all of his scenes were completed. For this reason, he and Harmon had a bit of a rocky working relationship. During the production of Community season 3, prior to Harmon's exit, Chase refused to do a key scene during the episode, "Digital Estate Planning." The episode, as fans will remember, transformed the cast into 8-bit video game characters, and there was supposed to be a touching scene between Pierce and Abed stemming from Pierce's father. Chase refused to do the scene, believing it wasn't funny and he walked off the set. It was the last day of shooting and the sets were being taken down so this was the only opportunity to film in the scene. Harmon was very upset about scrapping the scene and the way Chase reacted to the situation.

The feud between Harmon and Chase continued in the ensuing years, especially when the showrunner took back control of the series. Chase had a small guest appearance in the Community season 5 premiere when Pierce was shown as a Greendale hologram. The character was then killed off as a plot device to give Donald Glover's Troy a proper exit. It's unclear where Chase stands in the eyes of his former co-stars at the moment. He's not present for any special reunions involving cast members or celebrated by the Community family so it's likely he did more damage than what was made public.

Don't remember correctly but I think Chevy had a private argument with Dan on the phone then he played it at a party or something, which is clownish. I'm sure Chevy did his part, but Dan seems like the tyrant that smiles with you.

They got bak on good terms after that.

Chevy himself said creative differences. Through a rewatch of the whole series, it's not hard to see they did the least with him.

I loved Pierce...there were many episodes where was was complete genius...dungeons and dragons is my favorite probably.

Yeah, Pierce shined in D&G, the cowboy themed paintball ep where he saves Greendale, the ep where he's faking his death and gives a gift that messes with everyone.

The flow of the show for a long time until he got killed off was episodes focused on everybody else or a plot with the school and each of those eps the group excluding or ostracizing Pierce until it boiled over and there was a Pierce centric where he struck back :lol: Same cycle for 3 seasons.

If I remember right, Chevy would leave set early or not show up close to weekends. He'd get tired and not want to read lines. Usually they'd fix it in post or editing but he skipped some scene that was important to Dan and that was like the last straw.

Its a bit sad they don't invite him or he doesn't show up for reunion type stuff.

Bro named like three episodes outta 4 seasons that had 10+ episodes :lol:.
There are episodes upon episodes where he's just there to make homophobic or sexist joke, and it's not even witty. There was six of them and Chang gained steam too so it's not a big deal and didn't mess with the show.

They got bak on good terms after that.

Chevy himself said creative differences. Through a rewatch of the whole series, it's not hard to see they did the least with him.
Ahh, that's good they got back on good terms.

I wish they did an episode with Chevy then.

Bro named like three episodes outta 4 seasons that had 10+ episodes :lol:.
There are episodes upon episodes where he's just there to make homophobic or sexist joke, and it's not even witty. There was six of them and Chang gained steam too so it's not a big deal and didn't mess with the show.
Again that was the point of his character. Old man being dated via sexism and racism that gets on everybody's nerves. They try to exclude him until it blows up in their faces.

The second s1 stopped being about Jeff finding ways to bang Brotha this was literally the format of the show every season until Pierce's death.

Before that, one time when they kicked him out and they thought it was for good there was a whole ep about who was gonna be the new Pierce. Ended up being Jeff for that ep.

After they killed off Pierce who became the new Pierce? Chang :lol: Literally. Wanting to be in the group, saying off the wall offensive ****. His character just had the added element of being crazy so they didnt have to really explain personality changes they just made up Changnesia.

The show lost a little bit of itself after Pierce died. Cant get comedy gold like Pierce's father being ultra racist anymore or the ep with Giancarlo. I mean trying to minimize Pierce while ignoring other **** is easy. You could do the same for Shirley, Britta, and for a good chunk of eps Annie.

Dan even tried to recreate that feel when he brought in Mike from Breaking Bad to be Buzz Hickey for that one season. Didnt matter much cuz soon after Donald left and the show became something else.

Last edited:
Started S4 and definitely see the difference in writing and storytelling with Harmon gone.

Why is Brie Larson's character super cute though?

It's a shame Chevy didn't want to play his part in something bigger. I can see both sides but he just couldn't get over not being the star anymore.

THEN there's all the extra stuff that's just him being a bad coworker and Harmon unable or unwilling to fix it.

It's a shame Chevy didn't want to play his part in something bigger. I can see both sides but he just couldn't get over not being the star anymore.

THEN there's all the extra stuff that's just him being a bad coworker and Harmon unable or unwilling to fix it.
I actually wanted to watch the show because Chevy Chase was in it. His character had a lot of potential.

Sucks how it's true of him being a **** behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom