NBC's Community Thread - 6/2 - Ep. 13: "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"

I don't want Omar to have a recurring role.

They were doing too much in this episode. Hopefully they scale it back to what made it good. Not even Pierce or Chang had a funny.

eek.gif
this came out already!?!?
dling it now
happy.gif

EDIT: when Abid said "six seasons and a movie" i thought he was talking about The Cape... now they are changing it to reference Cougar Town.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Spidermachine916

EDIT: when Abid said "six seasons and a movie" i thought he was talking about The Cape... now they are changing it to reference Cougar Town.
nerd.gif
I'm lost.  Have they ever referenced The Cape before?  The only shows I can think of that ended and had movies planned to release in theaters were sex & the city and entourage.  s&e had 6 seasons and entourage 8.  And he's referenced Cougar Town a lot last season.

Originally Posted by shogun

nerd.gif
Have they ever referenced The Cape before?
Yep, see: Season 2, Episode 21: Paradigms of Human Memory

Originally Posted by shogun

nerd.gif
I'm lost.  Have they ever referenced The Cape before?
Yea, in episode 21 last season. "Paradigms of Human Memory". One of my favorite episodes from last season
smokin.gif

[h1]The Walk-On[/h1][h3]The Community star recalls his two-year football career at the University of Washington[/h3]By Joel McHalePOSTED SEPTEMBER 29, 2011
grant_e_mchale11_576.jpg
Frank Ockenfels

Iwas in a fraternity with a bunch of football players for two rocky quarters at the University of Washington. It was a football house, but I got along with them really well. A great player named Chico Fraley asked me, "Why don't you try out for football?" And I thought, "Ah, yes, I do want to die." But that's what I did. I walked on.

I was actually on the crew team for a few weeks first. Out of high school I got recruited to row. Not a lot of people watch crew at the University of Washington, so the team made up for it by being $%%*$@#* — they were less concerned about rowing than whether the freshmen were being hazed enough. Every year, they'd shave the freshmen's heads and eyebrows and make a hair pillow; they had a glass display case filled with years' worth of hair pillows, which they were quite proud of. One time I didn't push a chair in properly, so the varsity crew team surrounded me and their captain hit me for being insubordinate. So I switched to football.

I had played my freshman year of high school and really enjoyed it, but I quit sophomore year because I was busy doing a play. So I really had to sell myself to the guys at Washington. By "sell myself" I mean "lie." They were doing just fine without me — national championship fine, in fact. They'd just won the Rose Bowl and split the national championship with Miami. I had to convince them I could play, which, technically, I couldn't. I lied and said, "Oh, yeah, I got hurt my senior year. That's why you don't know me." The position coach was like, "Let me get this straight, you played, and I've just never heard of you?" "Yeah, I know. It's crazy, isn't it?" I just kept it vague and they let me on the field.

It was baptism by fire like I've never experienced in my life. When you're a walk-on, they just put you in full pads and you go for it. You saw a lot of guys get put into a drill and have their heads taken off. It was brutally fast. Plays happen within a split second. For me, it was like going from riding a bike to riding a motorcycle. I had to make a thousand adjustments just to hold on. In practice, I was always on scout offense, which ran the opposing team's plays against our defense. I made the defense look terrific. They must have thought, Wow, I just creamed that guy.

Joining the team was kind of like starting a construction job. At the beginning of the summer, you're pasty and small. But at the end, you're in great shape and you can swing a hammer well. It crept up on me before I knew it. I suddenly realized, "Oh, I can bench-press a lot more weight." I'm 6-foot-4, and when I got to Washington I was probably 220 or 225 pounds. By the time I left I was 250. I remember when I got on the scale naked and weighed in at 246 — I couldn't believe it. It was just tons of drills, weight training, and eating. And I wasn't trying to get big for big's sake. It was that I needed this to not be killed. Survival was key.

The hardest I ever got hit was by Dave Hoffmann, an All-American middle linebacker. It was basically a hot route, in which, as the tight end, if a blitz came you run three to five yards and turn around. The ball would just appear in your hands it was thrown so fast. The team ran this play a lot and they were very good at getting the ball over the blitz. So that meant the middle linebacker was sitting there waiting for you. The first time we ran it, I caught the ball, and he lit me up. He knocked the wind out of me.

Then, of course, after the scout play worked they wanted to run it again to see why. So this time, Dave knew exactly what was coming, and he lit me up again. I don't blame him. I'd just caught the ball in front of him, and who was I? Some lowly walk-on. I still hadn't recovered from the first wind-knocked-outing, so I got double the wind knocked out of me. I don't know if that's even possible — to remove air from your lungs that isn't even there. But I caught the ball again, so they made us run the play a third time.

I thought, I've had a good life. But then I looked up and saw Dave staring at me. He said, "Hey man, you're OK this time." I wasn't sure if that meant he was finally going to kill me, let me go, or most likely I was hallucinating. They said "Hut," and I ran a flat route off the sideline. He caught the ball and it was an interception, and we didn't have to do it again. Even though Dave wasn't one of our biggest players, he hit harder than anyone on the team, or in the Pac-10 for that matter. Really. Ask anybody. I'm just bragging now. I'll never forget those hits.

For a long time, the scholarship players kept the walk-ons at an arm's length, and rightfully so. A walk-on could quit at any time, and a lot of us did. But the night that I was finally accepted — probably for more than any play on the field — was skit night.

There wasn't much hazing on the football team. Nothing in the stratosphere of a stupid-##% hair pillow. The freshman had to perform skits, and I did an impression of our team doctor. He was a really nice guy, actually. But just like any team doctor, he was always asking the injured, "Well, you can play right? You're gonna be fine, just wrap it up and get back out there." The skit had players walking into the infirmary with ascending levels of injury, to which the doctor (ME) would say, "Oh, you can play," to the point that they dragged in a dead defensive back — to which I said, as the doctor, "He can still play right?" Then a kicker came in with a cut finger, and I freaked out. Afterward, the players kept asking me to do the impression, which I was more than happy to do, because they were acknowledging my existence. More important, they weren't trying to end my life. My impressions got a much larger response than anything I did on the field, which was a good indication that maybe acting was a better career for me than football. I don't know if the doctor agreed.

In my sophomore year, they redshirted me. For the first time, the coaching staff kind of believed I could do something. That was really cool. But toward the end of the season it was pretty clear I wasn't going to play in the NFL. Surprise. Also, I had just booked a national commercial and made the decision to go into acting. There was a part of me that knew that once I walked away from football I would never experience anything like it again. I knew it was for the best, but there was still some regret.

That team was really special. There were several guys I played with who played in the NFL for a long time — Mark Bruener, Mark Brunell, Lincoln Kennedy, Ernie Conwell. It was weird to see everybody retiring a few years ago. I'd watch games on Sunday, and I was like, "Hey that guy used to try to kill me! Ahh memories."

Joel McHale stars in NBC's Community (Thursdays at 8 p.m.), hosts E!'s The Soup (Fridays), and can be seen this weekend in the movie What's Your Number?

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Jeff/Annie situation. But this Britta/Chang side story is ridiculous.

"Abed, you can't just mumble nonsense. No one's cutting away."

"Okay fine, here's my actual plan."

-scene cuts away-

Didn't find this ep that funny but I enjoyed it.

The spit on the face did get me
roll.gif

Listen; I could've thought of a much better way for Annie and Asian Annie to settle their differences

missed the beginning, but what I saw was ok. Britta killed me.
laugh.gif

you guys should check out Happy Endings, real funny and similar kinda humor.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

missed the beginning, but what I saw was ok. Britta killed me.
laugh.gif

you guys should check out Happy Endings, real funny and similar kinda humor.

Qft 
pimp.gif
  Happy Endings my 2nd favorite comedy behind Community 

Yeah Happy Endings is funny. Yall should be watching Sunny as well.

A lot of really funny moments tonight, pretty straight forward episode too... Annie is jealous, addressing the changing relationship with she and Jeff, and Britta having to grow up from her "I'm going to save the world" mentality. Chang's role was also good, didn't seem that forced to have him apart of Britta's story and they worked hilariously together.

Some highlights:
Troy removing the lid to the cup for Annie
Pierce's racism/sexism jokes were great
Troy doing a Georgia US accent when he knew it was Georgia the country
laugh.gif

The fart totally taking over the group.. "it's almost a solid", and Pierce with maybe his funniest line ever, "I can't remember what regular air smells like"
roll.gif

Martin Starr was good..
The slow motion with Chang and Britta caught me off guard at first but was pretty hilarious, then the taze and spit
laugh.gif

Britta and Chang showdowns were amazing...and once this played...OMG...
Britta v Chang at the garbage can was amazing

Just caught what I missed...Lionel Richie was so perfect.
laugh.gif

Britta killed it for me. And dude from Party Down/Freaks and Geeks was funny.
smokin.gif

tumblr_lsb95aqBNV1qe3p9bo1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom