Need Help: Car was stolen, car was found and towed. Tow company wants $800

So my car was stolen in nyc out of the 33rd precinct on April 24th.  Apparently it was recovered in Hackensack NJ on April 27th and I wasn't notified of this until this morning.  So I call Hackensack PD and they tell me the name of the tow company to pick the car up from (Bergen Brookside Auto Towing).  So I speak to the lady on the phone and she tells me the total is $765 to pick the car up.  $180 towing fee and $35/per day it sat in the lot.  This is way too expensive for me and I want to know if there is anything I can do to get it back without paying so much.  If I go onto the lot and take the car without permission is that bad?  Any help would be appreciated.  The car is only worth like $2500.

Lol how you gonna go on the lot and just take it without em knowin?

It was basically a three day joy ride with parking tickets in Hackensack, and I only had liability so I'm not sure if the insurance company would do anything.

April 27th - May 7th = 11 days

11 days x $35/day = $385

Towing = $180

$385 + $180 = $560

Why are they charging an extra $205?

And they mentioned that the daily rate was taxed as well. I just read that the agency is required to contact the owner of the car either by mail or phone within 48 hours of the car being recovered, it took 11 days for them to contact me, could that help me at all??

It's not on the tow place at all for the charges. The POLICE should have contacted you promptly.

If you don't pay it, after a while, the police will hand the title over to the tow company, and they can then proceed to do whatever they want with your car. It might be a month or two, but the charges will rack-up.

Originally Posted by sheistbugz

And they mentioned that the daily rate was taxed as well. I just read that the agency is required to contact the owner of the car either by mail or phone within 48 hours of the car being recovered, it took 11 days for them to contact me, could that help me at all??

Bro, i would just leave the car up there(if you dont have the money) and not worry about it. I would cancel my insurance as well.  if your car is only worth 2500 and it will cost you over 800 bucks to get it back and you only have liability insurancce. Leave it there. They can have the title.

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

Bro, i would just leave the car up there(if you dont have the money) and not worry about it. I would cancel my insurance as well.  if your car is only worth 2500 and it will cost you over 800 bucks to get it back and you only have liability insurancce. Leave it there. They can have the title.
He cant not worry about it. It's his car. I'm sure he needs it. 

Tow companies are bluffing. You just get the BARE MINIMUM you find reasonable and go talk to them. If not, LET THEM DEAL w/ the hassle.

This is a good tactic you are doing. You are PRETENDING that you're confused. But man up, take a shot of 1800 and go get your car back. If not, egg the place and talk to the police.

If you filed a police report when it was stolen, the cops should not require you to pay for the recovery.

I would go into that precinct and start all kinds of problems.

Originally Posted by Pig Love

If you filed a police report when it was stolen, the cops should not require you to pay for the recovery.

I would go into that precinct and start all kinds of problems.

THIS

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

I'm pretty sure the charges will continue to add up regardless if he claims the car or not. The he'll owe money and have no car.
Originally Posted by NY Mavurs

Wait! I'm confused. Your car was stolen at the site of a police precinct? How?

33rd precinct as in where he lives not the actual police station.
If they were suppose to contact you with in 48 hours you shouldn't be liable for paying any amount after those 2 days + $180.

Is the extra $205 from the parking tickets? I'd think you wouldn't be liable for that either as long as you can prove the car wasn't in your possession (police report)

This is a interesting scenario though
nerd.gif
...reminds me of the people on Parking Wars except you have valid reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom