Need some tips on negotiating a new/used car........

Whats up NT well the 93 town car is on its last leg and i was thinking about copping another car i would really like to get this car but i gotta get the price way down i was thinking by me having so much to put down that i could get a really good price

the car is a 2007 dodge charger r/t  with 27,424 miles the asking price is 22,997
1. i have around 4-5k for a down payment
2. i was hoping to get around 250-300 a month on the payments
3. how much should i negotiate?

I honestly would save up a few more dollars and just find an auto broker and go a local dealership auction. Auto brokers typically charge around 500 bucks, but on the flipside you usually can find some gems, and about 30% cheaper then kbb. value.

also don't forget to enter car insurance into your future payments gonna have to get full coverage

Originally Posted by sloanboy

Whats up NT well the 93 town car is on its last leg and i was thinking about copping another car i would really like to get this car but i gotta get the price way down i was thinking by me having so much to put down that i could get a really good price

the car is a 2007 dodge charger r/t  with 27,424 miles the asking price is 22,997
what am i missing here? you're putting down about 20% of the asking price. i wouldn't say that gives you any bargaining power...

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

what am i missing here? you're putting down about 20% of the asking price. i wouldn't say that gives you any bargaining power...

-waystinthyme

Buying the car period gives you bargaining power.  They want to sell the car just as badly as you want to buy it.  Cars aren't excactly flying off the lots these days.  I would suggest going to your bank or credit union and attempt to get a car loan for the amount you need.  If you do that, you wont need to bargin with them about monthly payments and you can haggle the price down a bit.  If you can't do that, NEVER accept the first offer, even if its near what your comfortable paying.  They get a lil "kickback" from the bank by getting you to accept a higher interest rate.  Once he's gone back in forth to the finance manager a few times and you got him to lower the interest rate a few points, %%!@@ about the price.  At this point he's wasted too much time to just let you walk out the door (make him believe you'll walk out at any given time), he'll do something.  Lastly, once your already comfortable on the interest rate and price, NOW you have a car to trade in.  A 1993 Town Car isn't gonna fetch you much but you need to get rid of it anyway.  You already got ya interest rate and price locked in, now complain about the trade in value.  Squeeze out every penny you can.  Do these things and you'll drive away happy.

I put all your info into the Edmunds.com Auto Loan calculator and the monthly payment consistently came in around the ($380 - 435) / month range.  This figure includes your trade, which will like contribute a  less than $500 reduction to the bottom line.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/calc/CalculatorController

Estimates are based on Edmunds.com True Market Value[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] prices and industry information. For greatest accuracy, input information provided by your dealer or lender wherever possible.

[table][tr][td]
na-thumb.jpg
Selecting a vehicle will fill in the average sales price people are paying, along with manufacturer incentives in your area.[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]Specify:[/td][td] New Used[/td][/tr][tr][td]Model Year:[/td][td]Select Year20122011201020092008[/td][/tr][tr][td]Vehicle Make:[/td][td]Select Make[/td][/tr][tr][td]Vehicle Model:[/td][td]Select Model[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Style:[/td][td]Select Trim[/td][/tr][tr][td]
reset-button.gif
update-button.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]Zip Code:[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Vehicle Sales Price (with typical options; before Customer Cash Rebate):[/td][td]+ [/td][/tr][tr][td]Sales Tax (by state):[/td][td] + [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Title and Registration:[/td][td]+ [/td][/tr][tr][td]Customer Cash Rebate:[/td][td]- [/td][/tr][tr][td]Cash Down Payment:[/td][td]- [/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
1993.lincoln.towncar.6655-ST.jpg
1993 Lincoln Town Car
Cartier 4dr Sedan
Pricing | Research[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]Model Year:[/td][td]Select Year201020092008200720062005200420032002200120001999199819971996199519941993199219911990[/td][/tr][tr][td]Vehicle Make:[/td][td]Select MakeAcuraAudiBMWBuickCadillacChevroletChryslerDodgeEagleFordGeoGMCHondaHyundaiInfinitiIsuzuJaguarJeepLand RoverLexusLincolnMazdaMercedes-BenzMercuryMitsubishiNissanOldsmobilePlymouthPontiacPorscheSaabSaturnSubaruSuzukiToyotaVolkswagenVolvo[/td][/tr][tr][td]Vehicle Model:[/td][td]Select ModelContinentalMark VIIITown Car[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Style:[/td][td]Select TrimCartier 4dr SedanExecutive 4dr SedanSignature 4dr Sedan[/td][/tr][tr][td]
reset-button.gif
update-button.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]My Trade-In Value:[/td][td]- [/td][/tr][tr][td]Amount Owed on My Trade-In:[/td][td]+ [/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
[table][tr][th=""]Today's APR Rates[/th][th=""]36 mo.[/th][th=""]48 mo.[/th][th=""]60 mo.[/th][th=""]72 mo.[/th][/tr][tr][td]New Vehicle[/td][td]3.95%[/td][td]4.49%[/td][td]4.49%[/td][td]4.99%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Refinance[/td][td]4.29%[/td][td]4.49%[/td][td]4.49%[/td][td]4.99%[/td][/tr][tr][td]Used Vehicle[/td][td]4.39%[/td][td]4.89%[/td][td]4.89%[/td][td]5.89%[/td][/tr][/table]
Submit
[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Loan Term (months): 60
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Total Loan Amount:[/td][td]$20,567.00[/td][/tr][tr][td]My Monthly Payment (tax included):[/td][td]$400.10[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

well i jus check back with that car and its obviously now sold but i have found another one same year model but black but it has 46,000 miles on it is that too high?

Best piece of advice I can give (although simple), is negotiate the FULL price of the car, not the monthly payments. Negotiate the full price, and THEN the monthlys.

How do yaw college kids be saving up so much money??

Also if you dont own a house, be smart and dont break the bank by spending 5k on a car just to impress girls.. Buy a house. Then use the equity with your house to pay for your car for free

Basically just say 18k if u want it for 20k and the price is listed at 22k... check the car out and point out some things wrong with it, dont make a offer the first day you check it out. Go back the second day, now they kno your a serious buyer. Tell them how 22k is too much say your looking for around 18k... test drive it first though. when u test drive it they'll have your info before you do. So after you do 18k. they'll say they gonna talk to the manager. they say no 22k is the final price. walk out and wait a week or so and they'll call you and say like 20k or close to it. Just be confident and ask alot of questions.

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

Basically just say 18k if u want it for 20k and the price is listed at 22k... check the car out and point out some things wrong with it, dont make a offer the first day you check it out. Go back the second day, now they kno your a serious buyer. Tell them how 22k is too much say your looking for around 18k... test drive it first though. when u test drive it they'll have your info before you do. So after you do 18k. they'll say they gonna talk to the manager. they say no 22k is the final price. walk out and wait a week or so and they'll call you and say like 20k or close to it. Just be confident and ask alot of questions.
thats a good idea.....

Originally Posted by superbness

Also if you dont own a house, be smart and dont break the bank by spending 5k on a car just to impress girls.. Buy a house. Then use the equity with your house to pay for your car for free
well payments on a car and a house is like night and day and im not gonna get a house while im still in school not knowing where im gonna work when im finished

i went up to carmax just to look around and what i find..........this bad boy i got to test drive and that damn HEMI
pimp.gif
well although its a nice car it jus didnt feel right not to mention carmax wanted a extra 1500 for a 60,000 mile warranty which is not that bad but 20,000 is right at my budget and to be honest this purchase just didnt "feel right" so imma hold out i highly dout that car will be their later on so imma jus check other places.......

laugh.gif
how is home equity going to pay for the car for free?  You pull out that home equity you will just take longer to finish paying off your home loan. 

well payments on a car and a house is like night and day and im not gonna get a house while im still in school not knowing where im gonna work when im finished

But you would get a 25k car while in college? Probably still staying on campus and draining your bank account just to get the car? Buy a house, rent it out, take out equity on the house and buy your car for free. Buy the time school is done with sell the house , have more equity 50k or so.. buy another house where ur moving to and repeat

Back
Top Bottom