Need Tips for Studying Vol. its a new year!

I'm tired of getting mediocre grades. I see these kids that can hardly speak english getting straight A's and I want to know what I'm doing wrong. So post what helps you get good grades, so I can figure this puzzle out.

What do you normally do to study? Those kids that barely speak English obviously work a lot harder than you do.
I spend a lot of time in the library. Going over my notes, taking notes, doing hw, rewriting my notes. I typically listen to indie rock, classical, and some hip hop, dubstep, rock when I study or do hw.
Don't wait until the last minute to do stuff

Look at what you did previously and identify where you could improve.

I'm taking a hell of a lot more notes this year, even if it's in a handout I'll write it down. I find that I remember things better if I write them down. Also, if you have tutorials and labs, make sure you go to them. I didn't go to any last year. I did well but this year (my final year) I go to every one and I'm creaming it with my marks.

Originally Posted by fishinthesky

adderall

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Invest in a voice recorder and record all your lectures. I'm both an auditory and visual learner so listening to lectures over again while looking at my material and notes makes everything so much simpler...

Simply go to class (shoot for perfect attendance), no texting, PAY ATTENTION, no texting nor daydreaming, take copious notes (ex. during lectures take down nearly everything that comes out of the professors mouth), and do the required reading. And if you're confused, go to the professor's office hours. For motivation, I think of myself being poor forever cause I didn't work hard enough in college and thus, didn't graduate.

Do everything that is asked (read,research,hw) and most importantly do so until you understand completely.
Like ill steelo said you need a motivation.
Schools about to start.
pimp.gif

Double your time that you spend in class by studying notes, reading, and doing hw. Idk if that makes sense... But say you spend 1.5 hours in class each day. You should be studying 3 hours that same day.

take notes and go to the classes....the lectures may be boring...but the info gets in your head

Also do a lot of practice problems...if it's math, do a lot of problems. I'm still trying it, but i think muscle memory can help with math

Ya'll are crazy...college is mad easy. If you want B's just make sure you know when you have to turn things in. Do a ton of problems on your own and learn weeks of material in a few days. Talk to sorority chicks and get them to hook you up with the class notes from their files.

The number 1 thing that you need to do to improve your grades is pay attention in class. Learning the material the first time is a lot easier then trying to learn it all by studying on your own.
I see kids that will sit all class doing nothing on there phone or whatever, expecting to copy all the notes from someone and then study it all the day before tests/finals. And those are the same kids with 2.0s.

Man, it takes time.

I use to try studying in college and it rarely worked. I don't have a learning disability or anything, but I was so use to allocating my time not studying, that when it came time to study, I might mess over it, but best believe NT, TV, the rec, my boys, etc. we're calling me.

Those kids who don't speak much English been on their study tip, so its cake for them.

Definitely use the advice already presented in this thread, but realize it will seem like you're climbing a mountain, not a molehill, in the beginning.

The topography of studying is less important than one's mindset to studying.

You've taken the first step which is you're willing to change, now turn everything off that might be distracting you. Do this gradually over the next few weeks in 1 hour increments - 30 mins may be better for starters - and when the test comes back you'll not already have disciplined yourself, but you'll see your hard work paying off, so you'll want to continue studying, even longer or better.

One of my HS teachers told me as a freshman, "studying is the most important skill you need to know before going to college". His words rang so true when I took those Chemistry, Calculus, and Philosophy tests.

if you cant bare to study 2 hours everyday then wait 3 days before a quiz and study your butt off

Originally Posted by fresh2deff

Double your time that you spend in class by studying notes, reading, and doing hw. Idk if that makes sense... But say you spend 1.5 hours in class each day. You should be studying 3 hours that same day.
Originally Posted by balloonoboy

One of my HS teachers told me as a freshman, "studying is the most important skill you need to know before going to college". His words rang so true when I took those Chemistry, Calculus, and Philosophy tests.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I cant believe what Im reading. The most important thing for you to do OP, is to be able to recognize whats important and whats not. Studying everything will be a waste of your time and you might not even spend enough time on the concepts you really need to grasp.

If its a math class you need to do good in, know the formulas and know how and why they work. Then you can make your own formulas or figure out what formula to use when. CAKE.

If its not a math class, you gotta get your critical thinker on. If your professor hits the same point more than once you better remember that *%!@ cuz its probably important. The most important skill in college is being able to realize what is relevant and whats a complete waste of your time to even look at. Get that down and you'll be fine. I never take notes, study the day before the test for a couple hours and thats it. The only reason that works is cuz Im cognizant of what I need to know, what I should know, and whats completely irrelevant.

INB4 Niketalks say "I never studied in college and got straight As, College is mad easy 
pimp.gif
"

Unlike above, if you are in a major that MATTERS and have HARD classes here are tips:

Make sure you review your notes for that day after each class, never let it get to the point where the test is one day away and you are cramming chapters 1-10 in the day before. Time management is the MOST important factor..You have to make sure you use your time wisely and if you are in multiple classes, do each class in moderation a day. Also make sure you take a break (take a walk, watch tv, surf niketalk, etc) you don't want to sit there for 5 hours straight of studying, you need some down time. And 2lipslegit made an excellent point (although he could have down it without laughing at people who also gave good advice) make sure you know what is IMPORTANT, you are not going to be tested on the entire text book, studying the whole thing would overwhelm you and also be a waste of time. I usually use the professors notes as a guide on what to read and what not to read...Good luck and I hope this helps

my only tip for you is find out which way you learn the best

visual?
auditory?
reading from books?

I hated reading from books...so I went to lecture...since I knew I was a more visual and auditory learner... then used the books to reinforce what I learned and fill in the gaps for the stuff that was not taught.

do work.

i like to use kobe bryant as my example. he's one of the best bball players of our generation. he didnt get that way by skipping practice, eating terrible, and partying 5 days a week.

you have to find out what helps you learn. dont memorize, but learn. good luck

Everyone learns differently some people learn by hearing, some by writing, and some by being hands on. I noticed that my grades improved when I participated in class discussions instead of browsing the internet I actually paid attention, reading the required chapters and highlighting/taking notes and doing homework. These are pretty obvious things but it takes some conditioning and getting into a routine.

the people who cant speak english get good grades cause they most probably paid 10 times more than what you paid to be there. Its number 1 priority. they probably go study after class. getting a bad and medium passing grade would feel like failure if its that important to you.

even the older dudes who sit in the back...they @$%#!+ up in life and focus on getting back on track by working hard.

-Go to every class
-Read when told to
-Do what's expected of you
-If you can be ahead
-Start studying as soon as you get home
-Hang out with people that strive for the same goals as you
-Try to take 5 classes to keep you on your toes
Good luck
glasses.gif

Take a unit mastery class and pass all the units before the middle of the semester. Easy A if you work a little harder at the beginning but will potentially sabotage you if you procrastinate.

Do everything asked of you and maybe a little more until you figure out how the classes go.  It's a good feeling knowing you can potentially not care about a midterm late in the semester because the professor won't count the worst one and the ones before it were near perfect.  Beats the hell out of pulling all-nighters because you need some miraculous grade on the final to get a C.

Just gotta put time in and at least be competent during class and when you're studying.  Don't be one of those lames playing around with their laptop, phone or tablet during the whole class. 

Definitely agree on the "each hour of class requires 1-2 hours of studying" bit.  I realized early on that I didn't get any studying done at home so I spent a lot of time at the library, even on the weekends. 

If you meet some other studious people try to see if you can study with them.  Avoid getting pulled into a study group of slackers though.

Get off NT lol.. spend as much time as you need until you understand the concepts/info .. dont cram last minute on mids/finals/exams

Back
Top Bottom