netflix to lose all disney/sony movies.

Netflix shares fell as much as 9% in after-hours trading late on Thursday after the video-streaming site lost one of its major US cable TV suppliers of content, along with thousands of blockbuster films including The Social Network.

The US cable broadcaster, Starz, abruptly ended contract renewal negotiations with Netflix on Thursday after the companies failed to reach a deal to stream new films.

In a statement, Starz said: "This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content."

The collapse in talks means thousands of movies from studios including Disney and Sony will be pulled from Netflix on 28 February. It comes just months after Netflix described the Starz contract as "one of our most important deals".

A spokesman for Starz added: "With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business."

Netflix, which also has an online DVD rental business, and Starz have been in talks for months for extend the contract, which was struck in 2008.

A handful of Sony titles disappeared from Netflix in June, a result of what the streaming site called a "temporary contract issue" between the companies.

The loss of the Starz output deal comes after a tumultuous few months for Netflix, as the streaming sites's continued popularity has been matched by content owners hiking the price of licensing their films. Some film studios have imposed 30-day delays before Netflix can access new films on DVD.

Netflix has been forced to twice raise the amount it charges its 23 million subscribers to watch films, as chief executive Reed Hastings has made clear his determination to bolster the firm's library of content.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/02/netflix-shares-losing-films

hmm, not looking too good, the raise the prices 57%(on my plan at least) and the lose major companies? 

remember the people the supported the price hike because they were gonna ADD more?
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

granted this wont happen until Feb, but thats really not that far away. 

and they need to stop messing around and add community to instant. 
eyes.gif

does that apply to some of the marvel tv shows like spiderman and x-men? (since technically, Disney does own marvel)

......hollywood dont like companies like Netlix and Redbox. they want to have their own streaming services and/or rental boxes.

How many of you cut your cable bill and went to netflix?

Besides nextflix and cable, what are other options?

Originally Posted by SEAN C0MBS

does that apply to some of the marvel tv shows like spiderman and x-men? (since technically, Disney does own marvel)

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

With the price raise and this, some other company is going to step up and offer a similar service.

I had cable, internet, and phone through Time Warner but got rid of it last week bc I moved. I was just going to reup with an internet plan + netflix but I may skip it now. I don't watch that much TV to begin with and my WD media player + external HD setup is holding me down just fine

Originally Posted by wanksta23

Netflix is slowly dying

That's what happens when you get big, and the partners want a raise to use their movies, and you won't budge.   

Originally Posted by georgehimself

With the price raise and this, some other company is going to step up and offer a similar service.

no they wont, these studios want more than what companies like netflix can afford, hence the reason for the price increase in the first place.  it's funny to me the reason alot of people curbed their pirating is getting squeezed, so instead of getting a piece of that pie, they're back to getting none, stupid.  these two studio libraries are extensive though, couple them with starz on a lesser level, rip netflix.

and of course that includes all marvel stuff.

Originally Posted by djaward

How many of you cut your cable bill and went to netflix?

Besides nextflix and cable, what are other options?
Internet Television
AppleTV
WD TV HD Media Player
Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link DX HD Media Player

Back
Top Bottom